FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange 2015 (Done!) Appreciate feedback. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange 2015 (Done!) Appreciate feedback.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sept Edit: Orincoro: Have you received your gift? You are the only person unaccounted for. [Smile]

Quint Edit: Is there anybody who got missed?

Quad Edit: Report on your gifts as you receive them. [Smile]

Triple Edit: Please let me know when you have sent your gift. I will follow up with those who haven't sent theirs after Christmas. Don't be one of those people. [Smile]

Double Edit: You need to post your personal preferences so your secret gift giver has guidance on what to get you.

Edit: Invitations are closed. PM me your address.

So, it's been a few years since we've done this. Usually because December rolls around, I think about it, and then realize it's already too late to setup and execute. So I thought I'd gauge interest now. I'd like this year's gift exchange to be well organized and enjoyable for everybody. Past ones have been so much fun, and I hope they always will be.

I plan on seeing if we can't rope the Cards into this year's as well.

So! Who would like to participate this year?

[ February 29, 2016, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'll participate. I bring the advantage of sending strange and wonderful gifts from the far off land of (deep, dusky voice) Hah-vaii-eee.

How does it work?

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to do this. It might be fun to challenge ourselves to send something you can only really find where you're located. Most everything people give these days is universally available. I'd love to both give and receive something you really have to travel to get.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Sure, I'll participate. I bring the advantage of sending strange and wonderful gifts from the far off land of (deep, dusky voice) Hah-vaii-eee.

How does it work?

If we're all giving theme gifts based on where we live, I hope you all like discarded car parts. The engineers at work leave them laying all over the place.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I lurk here far more than anything, but I'd be up for this. It's a good thing I'm no longer in western North Dakota, there pretty much isn't anything up there worth sending. (Unless someone desperately wants some frac sand.)

Dog - what part of Hawaii are you in? My parents recently started their mission at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Eisenoxyde:
I lurk here far more than anything, but I'd be up for this. It's a good thing I'm no longer in western North Dakota, there pretty much isn't anything up there worth sending. (Unless someone desperately wants some frac sand.)

Dog - what part of Hawaii are you in? My parents recently started their mission at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

I live in Aiea - just east of Pearl Harbor/the Stadium, and about 30 miles south of the Polynesian Cultural Center. We've been there before (for a Luau), and head up that way occasionally to go on hikes or go see the turtles. I also used the testing center at BYU earlier this year, probably going to do so again to proctor an exam in January. (it's in the same area)

How do your parents like Hawaii so far?

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

They're enjoying it for the most part. Their biggest complaint has been the high humidity and missing the autumn change in temperature compared to Colorado.

Where do you go to see turtles? I've been planning on visiting them after I find another job.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

The temperature change just happens later in the year. [Smile] As a matter of fact it was 67 degrees this morning when I woke up, my wife and I actually got out our fuzzy bathrobes and wore them around the house this morning. Over the next month or so it will continue to drop, and get down to 60 at night and 70-75 during the day in January. (which is what people here call "cold" by which they mean "a little chilly for swimming")

For turtles, we go to Laniakea beach. There are two giant turtles who have picked that as their sunbathing spot for over a decade now and are pretty chill about people coming up and taking pictures with them, and hundreds more in the water that either swim close to the shore or occasionally come up on the beach.

I also like going to the river in Haleiwa and paddle boarding - usually when I do that they come and swim next to my board. But really you can find turtles just about anywhere.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

60 degrees! Good heavens how do you survive?!

I remember 60 degrees. It's a number I won't see attached to the weather report for the next 5 months.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll gladly participate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

I'll have to think hard about a gift unique to my location, but I'll do my best to at least send something interesting.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. We'll leave invitations open until the day after Thanksgiving.

Everybody will be assigned somebody in secret, (I'll send PMs).

I'm open to what we want the budget per gift to be. Maybe $20 max?

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to participate as well, though I never did in the past.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Welcome aboard! [Smile]
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

Do we need to set a budget? It might be more fun for me without one. I guess I can always just ignore whatever the budget is. [Wink]

(Just kidding, I won't subvert the rules unless I'm sure I can get away with it. Just not sure why that rule is required. From each according to his means, to each according to chance?)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

*nods* Goodness knows I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of the opportunity to buy me an expensive gift. [Smile]
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I don't want to limit anybody. Nor do I want anyone to feel like they are too many sigmas outside the mean to be considered good at gift giving.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No one should feel compelled to give more than $20. But if you have a gift unique to your area that costs more and it's what you really want to give then I say go for it.
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in!
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game!
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
i want to join
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Glad to have you. [Smile]
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

OK! So the invitation window is closed. Could all of you PM me your addresses? I will send out assignments this week.

Thanks for being part of this.

scifibum
Member # 7625

PM doesn't seem to be available - should we email the address on your JanitorBlade profile?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Yes, that works fine.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Some of you still need to send addresses. I'll be PMing you after today. [Smile]
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Just a couple of people need to send me addresses. What I'd like to do now is what we've done in the past and indicate the types of things we like, colors, etc. Obviously, "I like white colored things that can achieve escape velocity" is too specific. And, "I like things" may be too vague.

----------------

I like books (Fiction and Non-Fiction), musical instruments, practical things, films, electronics, music, handmade crafts, curiosities. Colors I like are blue, black, and earth tones. But I'm often amenable to others.

scifibum
Member # 7625

I like things that are weird or funny, smaller than a breadbox, consumable or consisting of information, or meaningful to the gift giver. I like to cook and fix things.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Ditto pretty much everything scifibum says. I also like science/nerdy things. I also am buying my first home and will have bare walls/desks/counter space so any small, neat decorations would be cool, and I'm open-minded to anything. I also like learning about random things, so anything with a backstory is a plus. I like learning how to do crafty things, i.e. I just bought a lockpick set on a whim because I wanted to understand how locks work and how to pick them just for the dexterity challenge.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Surprise me.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

I'm pretty much open to anything too - as JanitorBlade so eloquently stated: "I like things." Since I'm forced to be more specific, I like food, unique things from your area, books (fiction and nonfiction), things that go boom, precious metals, gems, large denomination bills, etc.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Just need addresses from two people so I can complete sending out assignments.
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very allergic to gold and mildly allergic to a few other materials, and my diet is pretty restrictive, so neither jewelry nor food are great options for me. If you (my secret hatracker) signed up in the hopes of giving food, jewelry, or some other wearable item/s, maybe BlackBlade can give me a poke and I can elaborate on the sad and stunning quantity of foods I cannot have, and the things I cannot wear?

I like art supplies, books, music, cooking tools, something from your town (including reasons to travel there, if you like where you're living), and I collect jewelry boxes.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like spiders, plush toys, good books, almost all kinds of music. And I hate mint. I LOVE Dir en grey stuff. Miyazaki
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty amenable to anything, but the problem is that I'm a moneyed geek and as a consequence the obvious stuff is almost certainly something I've already bought myself. In general, then, something unique to you or your area is probably the best bet. Try to avoid trinkets, though; I have kids and thus have no display space. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I'm open to just about any non-food thing. If you (my gift-giver) think it's cool and unique and awesome than I almost certainly will too.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I like spiders

Well, if I get a box with airholes I'll at least know what to expect.
Miro
Member # 1178

OK, I'll be a little more specific. Please, no spiders. [Razz]
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Perhaps it'd be safer for you to edit in "Pleasantly surprise me."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I like things that can't be found anywhere else, things of historical significance, local things, old american history primary school textbooks, pizza, jazz, Star Wars and Star Trek.

And iPad Air 2s.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I will give $10 to the person who has a pizza delivered to Lyrhawn's house for Christmas. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wish list corollary: I like pepperoni and bacon on my pizza

Hungry howies and Zinos are local favorites. Butter cheese crust if hungry howies.

If you want to get a little fancy, Jets BBQ chicken with no red onions is the best. Square.

If you want to get really fancy, you'll hire an uber drive to pick up a pizza from Louis. Square, detroit style, pepperoni only.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Hank: I'm not sure you are getting my PMs. I need your address to send out assignments.
Hank
Member # 8916

I haven't been getting the PMs. Sorry, I have been working and have been so sick that all of my nonworking hours were spent in bed recuperating so that I could get back to work.

I emailed my mailing address and I'd love to still be included if it is not too late.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

Just in case it is not too late to be included: I like to cook and like all kinds of food and kitchen utensils. I also work with kids and babies, so anything pertaining to miniature humans will usually be a hit. My favorite color is green, in the event that that is relevant.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

You're good.

------------

At this point everybody should have been given an assignment. If you have *not* received an assignment, please PM/email me asap so we can get you sorted out.

Happy shopping!

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Preferences:

I live in the Czech Republic, but you can find things on a few sites here:

Mall.cz
Alza.cz
Slevomat.cz

I like sushi, and I am buying a new flat, so I will need lots of things for the kitchen. [Smile]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

When is the deadline?
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

For what? Gifts should arrive by Dec 25th.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.