FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mind Physics?

Author Topic: Mind Physics?
JacenGWiggin
Member # 13369

- posted      Profile for JacenGWiggin   Email JacenGWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been interested in the idea that the mind and its processes can, I don't know, maybe affect the universe as a whole. I'm not meaning like doing something physically, or through some mystical "Force", but through the means of will and the mind. I not sure if alone on this (probably not, I'm not that unique), but if there are people out there who might think this as well how much of this might be true? I mean OSC writes about philotes, the smallest peace of matter that exist. The philote in the Ender series is speculated to be a person's will/soul. These particles twine and connect to others depending on the relationship of the two philotes. So could the idea be a possible thing?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
well i mean assuming the universe somehow isn't predetermined like a giant equation and that the biomechanical processes of our brain are somehow not just part of that continuing equation of reactions then eventually a single thought will have changed everything we can think of through a big long butterfly effect thing, even if 'changing everything' means 'a different configuration of atoms bleeding out through hawking radiation from a giant black hole left over from the collapse of the entire universe's mass into a singularity' or whatever

but when it comes to philotes or midichlorians or souls or noogies from jesus or whatever, the first question is how on earth you are supposed to test for them or come up with any real way to measure them.

absent that the answer to "could the idea be a possible thing" is "it sure could, just like the idea that all matter is actually really really tiny unicorns. so many ideas could be true!" but doesn't accomplish much of further import

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not meaning like doing something physically
So, for me, this means "nothing at all". If it doesn't affect the physical universe, then it's nothing to the physical universe. I think even in the most limited sort of mind(or spirit)/body dualism the mind(or spirit) has effects on the physical universe. There's an interface of some kind that makes things happen that we can measure and detect, even if we can't isolate and verify the interface.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
*I don't believe in dualism, I'm just saying, even if you DO think that the mind/will has some existence independent of the physical universe, that has no meaning unless it causes physical things to happen.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JacenGWiggin
Member # 13369

- posted      Profile for JacenGWiggin   Email JacenGWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean through mental means such as changing ones reality. The idea that the mind can effect your outlook on the universe and that your mental state can change the universe as well.

Don't worry I'm just wishing I was on to something.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JacenGWiggin
Member # 13369

I mean through mental means such as changing ones reality. The idea that the mind can effect your outlook on the universe and that your mental state can change the universe as well.

Don't worry I'm just wishing I was on to something.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
so you mean like Law of Attraction type stuff?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Global Coherence Initiative
The Global Coherence Initiative (GCI) was launched by HeartMath Institute in 2008. It is a science-based, co-creative initiative that has the goal to unite millions of people globally in heart-focused care and intention.

GCI employs several strategies to help increase personal, social and global coherence. An internetbased network connects people globally who want to participate in creating a shift in global consciousness. In 2015, over 160,000 people in 154 countries were involved in the initiative. Members of GCI, known as GCI ambassadors, receive regular updates informing them where to direct their energetic contributions of heart-focused care and intention. GCI also helps to educate the global community by providing tools and technologies for increasing individual, social and global coherence.
The following GCI hypotheses guide the ongoing collaborative research:

Human and animal health, cognitive functions, emotions and behavior are affected by planetary magnetic and energetic fields.

The earth’s magnetic fields are carriers of biologically relevant information that connects all living systems.

Each individual affects the global information field.

Large numbers of people creating heart-centered states of care, love and compassion will generate a more coherent field environment that can benefit others and help offset the current planetarywide discord and incoherence.

https://www.heartmath.org/research/science-of-the-heart/global-coherence-research/

Like this?

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.