FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thanks, Panacea!

Author Topic: Thanks, Panacea!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
There's tinkling from the piano in the corner, fireflies at the window, and girl, some ghosts floating past. What have you gone and done now?

I said "No, I like it, I like it, it's good."
She said "You like it now,
But you'll learn to love it later."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Same. This is a good thing done well.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, it's impossible. I mean, people sort of tried, but there was too much history, and you'd need some sort of critical mass to get it moving. Like, some people who you really cared about that you could connect with again, but not have it be weird.

Ha. I know. I'm going to play Orson Scott Card for a minute, and you'll have to suspend disbelief, because this is sci-fi and fantasy and all.

Suppose there's this new character. She's got to come out of nowhere. No baggage, no unresolved issues. Just have her spring form Zeus' forehead or something. Now, nobody knows her, but she stumbles across the, hmmm, not really ruins, and not just a shell, but let's say the empty set where this great years-long play was staged. It was a really good run, and there was a lot of audience participation.

So she finds this place, and FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON goes back and seems to read everything. Oh, and by the way, she's probably pretty busy in her own life, and she's reading it in a non-native language, but she really, really likes the place, okay? She just does. And she's a keener, so she starts compiling lists of actors who had the most lines or who had strong impact on the course of events.

And then -- I know, but just go with it, it's a story -- she tracks down a bunch of old emails and stuff for the actors, and she composes this super sweet and charming email, and she sends it. In it she asks people to send it on.

And, oh! She has to write it in such a way that people can tell she loves this things that they maybe once loved, and she's gone back through all the production notes, and ... then she waits.

Yeah, nothing's gonna happen, right? It's fiction, but come on.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
This is lovely, but don't thank me, CT, really don't. Thank all the people who came. Who have returned although it took a certain willingness to believe, took courage.

Yelling from the mountaintops can only work when there is somebody to hear it, and willing to answer. I might well have been screaming into a void.

And also, it has really only been a few precious days, so
quote:
let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.

[ September 26, 2016, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: PanaceaSanans ]

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, not a sun - but a meteor, fleeting but glorious, a little fire, some warmth - enough.
Just what I needed, right when I needed it. Thank you.

I'll be in the archives...

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elcheeko75
Member # 13292

- posted      Profile for Elcheeko75   Email Elcheeko75         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, CT, How are you doing?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Syn! I am well. How are you?

Panacea, I'm so sorry. Wishing you strength and cheer in all your endeavors.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I have been learning how to paint portraits.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

quote:
Originally posted by CT:
Panacea, I'm so sorry. Wishing you strength and cheer in all your endeavors.

CT, you kindest of souls. I am strengthened and content. I am not sorry.

I've been given some valuable answers to philosophical questions I had, which happens rarely, and I'm immensely grateful.

My point of view on gun regulation laws has changed although I never dared participate in the discussion.

I went to a planetarium and learned how awesome those are.

Last week I participated in a discussion about American politics (election) and history (Hamilton/Washington) and felt I actually knew what I was talking about. [Big Grin]

And I learned I am too uneducated even to play "Who am I" with people on Hatrack. For the first time in my life I "competed" with people who were at least as bright as I am.

I began reading the Alvin Maker Series, which is so lovely. I ordered "Red Prophet" and it arrived in the mail today.

I received the corrected version of my 65-page draft for my doctor's thesis last week.
And I need to prepare for an examination in December.

And Hatrack will continue to be a place for me to flee to when life treats me unkindly - whether it is today's active topics or the archives. [Smile]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
What are your views on gun laws?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the topic of your thesis?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the topic of your thesis on gun laws?....
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.