FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anybody know...

Author Topic: Does anybody know...
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
(Wherein you can inquire whether anybody knows any conceivable thing you find interesting.)

Does anybody know...

... "The Game" by Terry Schott?
... "The Girl In Between" by Laekan Zea Kemp?
... the "Dawn of Dragons" trilogy by Daniel Arenson?

The eBooks are free on Amazon, and they sound interesting, and I might decide to read them. [Smile]

---

... of a 3D simulation of the (visible to the human eye) stars? I find it very interesting that the constellations we see from earth obviously wouldn't be the same when viewed from a distant place in the universe, because we see them as a 2D/ plane. I would love a simulation of the night sky as seen from elsewhere, or even while moving through space.

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LBltePDZw This is a 3d rendering of the universe on the highest levels, showing a sort of foamy structure. I think it's fascinating. Not quite what you asked for, though.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
You want a planetarium program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetarium_software

The wikipedia entry for the first product I chose from the list will re-render stars from other locations in the Milky Way (Nightshade-- the url has a parenthesis which the board won't allow). Others might, as well.

The best option is to go to a planetarium, not only because it looks better in surround 360 screens, but specifically at a time when the person running it is bored because there is no crowd, and will do what you ask, instead of running a pre-canned show or a script. The software underlying the shows that are made is far, far more powerful than the shows let on, and these people love to make their friends and guests dizzy by flying through space if given the chance.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
This is a 3d rendering of the universe on the highest levels, showing a sort of foamy structure. I think it's fascinating.

Fascinating indeed. And very beautiful. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
You want a planetarium program...
The best option is to go to a planetarium, not only because it looks better in surround 360 screens, but specifically at a time when the person running it is bored because there is no crowd, and will do what you ask, instead of running a pre-canned show or a script. The software underlying the shows that are made is far, far more powerful than the shows let on, and these people love to make their friends and guests dizzy by flying through space if given the chance.

Thank you! I did not know that's what a planetarium does... I had only ever seen a music show at the Berlin planetarium.^^
Following your advice, I found the closest planetarium and pre-booked a ticket for tonight's "do you know the stars" show. I hope there'll be no crowd. [Big Grin]

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy! Today is Friday, so I don't know if you are going to get a crowd, or they'll take audience requests. In one case, I had a very very rare, behind-the-scenes connection.

But, if you hadn't known much about what a planetarium does, I think you will find any show you see very interesting and cool.

See if they have any information about GAIA, which had their big first release this week. I went to planetarium in Ireland, and found ESA members states are big on promoting ESA missions (they had a whole interactive exhibit on Rosetta), so they should have something about you are in Germany.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

quote:
Enjoy! Today is Friday, so I don't know if you are going to get a crowd, or they'll take audience requests.

In the description it specifically says they'll take audience questions and requests. [Smile] I'll see about the crowd. It's not like I hope they don't get visitors... And I'm looking forward to the show either way.

quote:
See if they have any information about GAIA, which had their big first release this week.

Good idea, thanks! I'll try.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Oh good. I know at the one in NYC, you just go in, see the show (which is 100% canned) and leave.

Given your other questions, I think you will find Gaia very very interesting.

PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

quote:
The software underlying the shows that are made is far, far more powerful than the shows let on...

It seems this is not the case in a smallish planetarium like the one I visited.^^ What we got was a beautiful rendering of tonight's night sky, rotatable, but no zoom in/out, and an elderly guide with a laser pointer and a tremor who told us about the constellations, pointed them out and eventually had the software show the "picture" supposedly representing the constellation. All of that I already knew. But he told us some more interesting facts, and I learned things I had not known before:

- how to find the andromeda galaxy
- that 51 Pegasi b was the first exoplanet to be discovered (in 1995)
- what Cepheids are and that they are named after Delta Cephei
- the one constellation in the northern hemisphere I had forgotten about: Sagitta, the arrow
- that the GAIA data is awesome, but this planetarium is a long way from being able to use those.

We also had a short video about Proxima Centauri b, the newly discovered closest-to-earth exoplanet, which was neat.

After the show I asked whether it was possible to see the southern hemisphere, he said no, not without special programming. But there's a kid's show with some southern sky objects on October 7th. I asked whether it was possible to see the universe from another point in the galaxy, he said no, not yet, but they are working on it and with luck, will premiere it on October 14th. I told him I'm going to New Zealand, and I would really, really like to know the constellations before I get there so as to get the most of my trip. I must have seemed convincingly enthusiastic, for he offered to (re)write the program to allow for a rendering of the sky above New Zealand and let me study it after the show on October 7th. He gave me a flyer for another show that has his name and phone number. He is the manager of the place, and a very friendly man. I look forward to returning next month. [Smile]

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Sounds like a success. The computer programs in the wikipedia link will also allow you to see southern stars. I recommend purchasing a planisphere-- you want one from 30 S or so that has two sides.
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

quote:
Sounds like a success. The computer programs in the wikipedia link will also allow you to see southern stars. I recommend purchasing a planisphere-- you want one from 30 S or so that has two sides.

It felt like a success, too. [Smile]

I have one of those, and had it hung over my bed. Also used this when I first learned the constellations. And there's this App called "planets", which I only found later, but I like it because when I happen to find a planet while stargazing, this will allow me to know which planet it is I'm seeing without requiring me to switch on my PC.

So I could look at the southern hemisphere using those, but, as you said
quote:
... it looks better in surround 360 screens

... and the rendering at the planetarium was so breathtaking and featured many more stars, so I'll really like to see the southern ones that way before being confronted with making sense of them on my own down under. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.