FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trying to identify a fantasy book

Author Topic: Trying to identify a fantasy book
Baldwon
Member # 13468

- posted      Profile for Baldwon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I read a fantasy book when I was younger that I'm trying to find again, but I can't remember the name. I was hoping someone here might recognize it from a vague description of the elements I remember.

The primary element I remember was the concept that where magic was used, it left an unstable remnant which was dangerous to those who came across it. For this reason, those with magic skill would draw a circle in the ground around where they were going to use magic -- which contained it and stopped it from spreading.

I believe the events in the story took place at the end of an ice age. Travel in the world was just becoming possible again and one of the plot lines followed a family of cartographers who were responsible for mapping the world as it now was.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't sound familiar. Does sound intriguing. I hope somebody knows.
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too! I want to know.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldwon
Member # 13468

- posted      Profile for Baldwon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty confident I didn't imagine it... if it turns out I did, I'm writing it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're waiting, will you tell us something about yourself?

What brought you here?

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read anything like that, but Google suggests A Secret Atlas by Michael Stackpole. It has a lot of the elements you mentioned (family of cartographers, uncontrollable residual magic, near-Apocalyptic event).
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.