FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Author Topic: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just watched this movie with Tina Fey. I'm feeling like the whole movie was a fake-out, and the title is how I feel having watched it.
The movie plays like "The Hurt Locker" with an embedded female journalist in Afghanistan. Taken seriously, it's a pretty good movie.
But the DVD cover says it's a comedy, which is what you would expect with Tina Fey, except that the movie isn't funny. The closest thing to funny are "we can laugh about it now" kind of events that would be more accurately called coping mechanisms, and which are completely appropriate given the dangers and culture shock that Fey's character is experiencing.
I just wondered if anyone else here has seen it, and what your take on it is.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. It's not a comedy?
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's billed as a comedy. Perhaps some people would think it's a comedy. I find the funny bits are more sad, given the context. I think that if they marketed it differently it could have been successful. In particular, I think it's kind of similar to "The Hurt Locker" with some "M*A*S*H" thrown in, only more desperate.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.