FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movie Reviews You Wanted

Author Topic: Movie Reviews You Wanted
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes rant on Facebook about topics people give me. Over here I want to try something else.

You submit a movie, and I will watch it (even if I've seen it) and write a review here.

It's not first to respond wins here, but it certainly helps to post first.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Hidden Figures.

It's streaming on HBO GO/NOW if you have it. If not let me know and I can pick a different one.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Station Agent.

I watched it once, years ago, during a night movie marathon. Haven't watched it since, but then, I thought it was amazing (one of the reasons I don't want to re-watch it, not to break the spell, maybe you do'll it for me).

Starring Peter Dinklage. Thanks to this movie I must be one of the few people who don't identify Dinklage with Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
The Fall, directed by Tarsem. It is a little-known great film.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Only the Brave. It's about the woodland fire fighters that died here in Arizona fighting the Yarnell Hill fire.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The Human Centipede.

I'm just kidding, don't do that.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Primer (on a more serious note)
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll make a choice today and try to watch tomorrow.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Hidden Figures.

It's streaming on HBO GO/NOW if you have it. If not let me know and I can pick a different one.

I saw Hidden Figures fairly recently and strongly considered going with it again.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Going to have to postpone movie selection/viewing a few days (Tuesday Probably). Unexpected baby development!

Feel free to continue submitting suggestions. Even if I don't do it this round, I likely will on a subsequent one.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Need to sort out where to block out movie times. Our daughter scuffed it up this time. I think tomorrow I can do a film.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
The Station Agent.

I watched it once, years ago, during a night movie marathon. Haven't watched it since, but then, I thought it was amazing (one of the reasons I don't want to re-watch it, not to break the spell, maybe you do'll it for me).

Starring Peter Dinklage. Thanks to this movie I must be one of the few people who don't identify Dinklage with Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones.

I liked The Station Agent but not sure I could ever really recommend it to anyone. I just don't know anybody that digs those kinds of quiet, contemplative movies.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see you do a review on possibly my all time favorite film, South Korea's Castaway on the Moon. I challenge you not to cry triumphant tears of joy from watching a man eat a bowl of noodles.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:
The Station Agent.

I liked The Station Agent but not sure I could ever really recommend it to anyone. I just don't know anybody that digs those kinds of quiet, contemplative movies.
Well, yeah. I do dig. You do dig. How about our Janitor?
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I thought I had a solid 2+ hour block for films when I originally posted but then my daughter decided that meant her nap schedule needs to fundamentally change. I'm still trying to figure out what it is so I can actually make this happen.

Confession, I threw my hands up last week and went and saw Blade Runner after the kids went to bed because I needed to get out of the house. But I'm still serious about doing this.

Szymon
Member # 7103

How did you like it? Blade Runner? I liked how much it resembled the first part. There was something... classy about this movie
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I'll do a write-up tomorrow.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

By tomorrow I mean tomorrow.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Blade Runner: (With apologies for now doing one of the already submitted films first. I will do them). I wrote this elsewhere but I've made some modifications now that I've had time to think about it some more.

MAJOR SPOILERS*

There was so much there to absorb and contemplate. The sets were absolutely gorgeous, and the general feel of the world was very immersive. Androids and humans interact in a way that felt very intuitive to me in many ways. Androids are talked to in a variety of ways: hostile, indifferent, pityingly. They seamlessly blend into society, but you would think there would either be a very obvious marker for androids or else an explanation for why there isn't. When the androids go from just minding their business to killing people it's a breathtaking display of power. It's surprising that the fact androids have rebelled and killed people hasn't spurred people to demand some sort of protective measures is surprising. Here are a few other items that impacted me.

Lt. Joshi making a move on K really affected me. The fact she had total control over K wasn't loudly (In the sense of it being said to us ala "Don't you know I can make you do anything?"). Instead, it was there in their postures, the way they spoke to each other, our seeing K never resisting orders, being made to do base line testing, and when he makes a remark that sounds like insubordination Lt. Joshi very seriously responds and he has to say "I didn't know that was an option" to maximize his chance of lowering her anger. So when she does finally make that pass, albeit very subtle, and she doesn't press the point, you can see just how little power K has were she to decide she wants to press the issue.

Which is why Luv confronting Lt. Joshi also affected me. Luv exudes power and when she walked into the room with Lt. Joshi I felt panic for her but mostly for myself were I in her situation. Luv had total control over Lt. Joshi's fate, and both of them knew it, which was why there was no silly displays of bravado or witty threats. I think that's what I find so utterly amazing/terrifying about androids is that they are all business and you (a human) can't beat one. Whenever they portray humans going up against replicants in this film it's incredibly lop-sided. Also, Luv was crying after she killed Coco. It seems as though she was still conflicted with her orders at this point and the film was trying to convey the struggle replicants face when their hardcoded orders conflict with their empathy for living things.

There appears to be an extreme flying car shortage in the film. Most of the time you only see K's car flying over an entire city with no other cars to be seen. Later you see a convoy of three cars, and then K's, so 4? When they are apprehending K and Deckard there are maybe 6? No discussion about why flying cars might be that crazy rare. There's tons of surface vehicles in the streets.

I didn't understand the motivations behind killing the remade Rachael. Yeah they got her eyes wrong but didn't Wallace establish that costs in making replicants were staggering, and he couldn't make them fast enough? If it was a display for Deckard, wouldn't that only serve to show him they plan on doing awful things to his child?

I loved the relationship between K and Joi. I loved how it developed in a way that was real for them. Loved that since Joi was a hologram the way she experienced things was somewhat different that a person, but not on an emotional level. When K crashes his car and she reacts in fear but keeps glitching so she keeps looping her terror that really moved me. Her last moments hit me like a gut punch. The scene with K, Joi, and Mariette bugged me because it isn't what my personal morals allow, but I also really liked it because well, there was something genuine in it at least for K, and Joi. I liked how tastefully and sensitively the scene was handled.

I'm annoyed Wallace had no comeuppance. No development either. So Ana this "miracle" so why is she locked up? Who put her there? What is the intention? Is she supposed to have children herself?

-----------------

The acting by everybody (Except maybe Harrison Ford who is serviceable) was excellent. Ryan Gosling and Sylvia Hoeks were the standout performances for me. Jared Leto was fine if a bit over the top in his delivery based on what he had to work with. Sylvia Hoeks especially was outstanding in portraying an adoring but driven replicant who is quite efficiently driven to be almost psychotic by the end. Gosling it feels like was too good at portraying an android who *must* hide his feelings, because as an audience member I kept wanting to connect with him by seeing him smile or laugh but we aren't given those opportunities in the later, and its very rare with the former. That's not a bad choice for filmmakers to have made, but not all characters are equally likeable.

packfire
Member # 13601

- posted      Profile for packfire           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit hesitant to watch it, but I think i'll give it a go after reading your review. thanks!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Justice League?
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Hate to backtrack on this, but after trying over and over to find time to watch specific films, it's just not working right now.

Most of my evenings now are spent doing online coursework and job hunting, and during the day I spend most of my time managing kids and keeping the house clean. I might use this thread to instead do reviews of films I've seen, but taking requests is a tall order right now. Sorry!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'l take over taking requests. I see pretty much all the movies.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Would love to read them, Lyrhawn.

I think you should review 2001: A Space Odyssey since I recently watched that for the first time last week.

If you write one, I'll write mine.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh this is for ANY movie? I thought it was just new movies.

Alright, I will make it a point to watch 2001 sometime this month.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Yaaassss!
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:
The Station Agent.

I loved The Station Agent. It was my first time seeing Peter Dinklage in a leading role, and I knew he'd being going places. I love quiet, contemplative movies.

Away We Go is another understated movie that, like The Station Agent, is hilarious and sweet in unexpected ways.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.