FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They need to go to jail !

Author Topic: They need to go to jail !
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
Comedian George Wallace talked about people who need to go to jail. Well, I’ve got my own list of people who need to go to jail:

Whoever came up with the idea of gas pump TV, and whoever agreed that it was a good idea – They need to go to jail!

It fascinates me that Robert A. Heinlein talked about this in his 1963 novel “Podkayne of Mars.”

In chapter 9 his teenage female star character says this: “Venusberg assaults the eye and ear even from inside a taxi. I believe in free enterprise; all Marsmen do, it’s an article of faith … But free enterprise is not enough excuse to blare in your ears and glare in your eyes every time you leave your own roof. The shops never close … and full color and stereo ads climb right inside your taxi and sit in your lap and shout in your ear. Don’t ask me how this horrid illusion is produced. The engineer who invented it probably flew off on his own broom.”

– And needs to go to jail.

Thankfully holographic technology is still not up to this sort of stuff. But if it were, advertisers would be using it to assault us – just like they are with gas pump TV. And they need to go to jail.

Of course, there are a whole lot of other people who need to go to jail . . .

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the person who invented monthly deposit fees in banks?
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely!
And also those who fool around with their cell phones while driving . . .
Go ahead and walk into a fountain in the mall or walk in front of a bus while texting - thus improving the gene pool. But if you can't stay the hell away from your cell phone for a few minutes while driving and thus risk the rest of us - well, you need to go to jail.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.