FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Real 1000th post (warning -- very long!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Real 1000th post (warning -- very long!)
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
(( )*( ))³

<Relieved this isn’t about Onanism.>

For all points x on the boundary of U (universe), d(x,H)=z (where H=Hatrack, z=infinity, H is a subset of U). Therefore, Hatrack is a center of the universe. It cannot be proven that it is uniquely the center, unfortunately.

<Doesn’t know any good riddles.>

They all fall a bit short as a quality 1,000th post –- not because the ideas weren’t sound, but because I couldn’t pull them off (if I could have proven Hatrack to be the only center of the universe, that would’ve been something). Kudos to Belle, Shlomo, celia60, Toretha, Zevlag, Tresopax, jehovoid, plaid, and KarlEd. So I’m gonna do something else. I’m gonna tell y’all about me, and you can ignore it at your leisure.

I was born in San Diego, CA (USA) on 02/17/1969, to a mother, father, older (obviously *smile*) sister and half-brother. My younger brother was born about two and a half years later, for the record.

Like the vicious bully Achilles, I was born with clubfoot, incredibly severe. I’m told that if it had been any worse at birth, they would have amputated my foot and fitted me with a prosthetic. I’m glad they didn’t. After three and a half years of surgeries every two months, numerous castings and recastings, the foot was healed enough that I could walk –- but was about three sizes smaller than the other foot. It started growing faster, in an attempt to catch up, but ended up (now) about a size-and-a-half smaller. Luckily, this is close enough that I no longer have to buy two pair of shoes every time I shop for them, but I still request two different sized shoes when I rent them for bowling, and get odd looks from the counter-person.

Nothing much interesting between there and high school, except that because of numerous repeated injuries, I received several prescriptions for prednozone, which I believe to have caused my explosive temper (steroid rage and all). Due to this temper, it’s somewhat necessary to keep me away from most board games (Yahtzee is really the only safe one, since I’m playing against dice rather than opponents). As it is, I was incredibly short-tempered and anxious during the Endercon trivia thing (and I’m glad that JaneX didn’t get as mad at me as I deserved, or that if she did she hid it well –- sorry, Sarah). Oh, and I quit reading entirely in fifth grade.

My high school (actually a secondary school covering 7th-12th grades) was interesting, because by my junior year I was one of the most well known people there. It was a Math-Science-Computer magnet school, so almost all the focus was on those subjects. A lot of you here know that I can hold my own (not Onanism) when it comes to math, but back in that day (before visual-anything existed as a language and OOP was just Alley's last name), I had run of the school computer system as well. I knew every language the school taught, several they didn't, and had even written my own language (SCOOP). So I was pretty much number one at two-thirds of the school’s specialties. Also, due to a combination of factors, the school had no sports teams –- until a group of us got together and forced one through by paying for all the equipment ourselves. So we had a club-level volleyball team (well, two teams –- JV and Varsity). I was starting varsity my junior year, and varsity team captain my senior year.

My junior year had a couple other things going on. One -– I was given the name Moose, by the person who later became my best man. I called him Dorfinkus Burf (a nonsensical name my younger brother often called anyone, including me), and he in response called me Moose. The other two people with us at the pizza parlor became named Yak Belch and Llama Barf. As you might guess, there is a last name that goes along with Moose –- one that hasn’t been revealed to many people. That can be the riddle of the Moose, but nobody is getting my first-born child for guessing it correctly.

Near the end of my junior year is when I seriously considered suicide, to a degree that I was sitting in a bathtub with a razorblade in hand. The more observant of you will probably notice that I’m still here, so no, I didn’t commit suicide. It was a really rough time for me, though -– the Science Olympiad national finals (yes, I was dorky enough to be on the team, and we took CA state) and the volleyball all-county finals were on the same weekend, and both teams wanted me. It was well-enough known that pretty much everyone I knew (and many I didn't) had an opinion on what I should do and why, and I felt torn apart by everyone. Well, everyone except my Mom. She just offered unconditional love, no matter how I decided. Thanks, Mom -- I love you.

The only thing of note in my senior year, really, began on December 13th. Becoming aware that I hadn’t applied anywhere for college, and knowing that deadlines were November 30th for pretty much everywhere, I spent the night in prayer (about 5 hours). Though I prayed about many things (not the least of which was confession of various things), my main prayer was "I’m blowing my life, doing it all wrong –- I can’t do it myself. Help me. Tell me where You want me to go. Tell me what You want me to do."

The next night I got a phone call from the dean/provost of the College of Creative Studies at UCSB, who offered me a $10,000 math scholarship. Yes, this is one of the pieces of evidence I have for the existence of God, though not one I expect anyone else to use. Yes, it can be explained away -– but I can’t/won't ignore it. Even if it were the only evidence I had, it would still be enough for me. Anyway, after three more missed deadlines, I was accepted at UCSB.

Through the end of my senior year, the name Moose was still only used for me by about seven or eight people. I was known more as Michael in person, and Barnabas by computer (yes, I was a computer nerd-dork, too). When I got to college, though, I introduced myself as Moose to a few more people. (Oh, and college was when I started reading again, because someone convinced me to give one more book a shot -– a book called Ender’s Game. I’ve been reading a lot since then.) Still more knew me as Michael, though, until the summer after my freshman year. That summer, I applied to be a junior-high camp counselor, and was accepted, and did three non-consecutive weeklong stints as counselor. Tell me, if you were a junior high boy, would you rather have a counselor named Michael, or one named Moose?

So Moose I was from then on. Everyone called me Moose. Until two summers later, when I went back to the camp, but full-time summer staff, instead of itinerant counselor. I fell for a girl (I did that quite frequently, actually), we began dating, we got serious. She preferred to call me Michael, since it sounded more grown up (she had a point, I’ll admit). So around her I was Michael, and everywhere else I was Moose. We tried to keep dating after the summer, but it was long-distance, and it sorta faded away. She broke up with me, I didn’t want to, but what choice did I have?

Several months later, she came for a surprise visit. I fell for her all over again, and two months later we were engaged. About two months after that, she and I were going to go to a weekend retreat on Catalina Island with the UCSB branch of Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship. At the time, I was treasurer for the group (which also made me registrar for the camp), and leader of the worship team (read: plays guitar). Two days before the camp, she wasn’t feeling well, and decided she wouldn’t be able to go (she had a very sensitive stomach, and the two-hour boat ride could indeed have been rather unpleasant). She got pretty upset with me because I didn’t cancel and stay with her -– enough that the next Wednesday night, she called off the engagement. This began my four days of hell.

I drove down to talk with her about it, and she wouldn’t come out of the house. I talked with her dad for a while, but then just started driving back to school. In North Hollywood, I fell asleep behind the wheel, and ran my best friend’s car into the center divider of the freeway. When I called to tell him about it, all he asked was "Are you ok?" That was the high point of these days. Anyway, I slept in the car for a few hours, then drove the car (listening to the "door ajar" bell, freezing because there was no longer a window in the door, and hoping the damaged tire didn’t blow) back to school, arriving in time to fail a history midterm. In the mail that day, I found out that the AP test I had taken in high school would only be worth 4 units, not the eight they had told me before, so I wouldn’t be graduating (I was taking 24 units at the time, too). My guitar got stolen. A friend invited me over to play backgammon, to get my mind off things. I went, we sat in the grass courtyard of her apartment complex, and my allergies kicked in so badly that I went to the emergency room. After having my eyes cleaned out and being given an antihistamine, I took the bus home -– and my wallet fell out of my pocket, never to be recovered. All this in a four-day period. Ugh.

Well, I was in shock for a while -– "Moose" had become a meta-person of sorts, one who was always cheerful -– and I couldn’t keep it up. But I had been Moose for so long that I didn’t really remember how to be Michael anymore. I dropped a few classes, stopped going anywhere for a little while. A friend invited me out for ice cream, and kidnapped me when I said no –- thank you, Beth. Another friend just talked with me, and helped me through this rough time, giving me alternate points of view so I didn’t spiral down into my own misery -– thank you, Scott.

So I came back to school the next fall, taking 11 units so I could graduate. This one quarter I overlapped at school with another particular student –- one Connie Carlson. You now know her by the name Squirrel. I talked her into going on a date with me. One date. Then we went our separate ways for quite a while. We went on date number two five-and-a-half years later. And about a year after that, we got married. Things happened in that five-year interim period, including my being stalked by an ex-girlfriend, but nothing of real import.

I could be much more specific about things happening after Squirrel and I got married, but most of the interesting things I’ve already spoken of here at Hatrack (especially Mooselet). But that’s a bit of my history – maybe not one that would deserve a speaking, but important to me. There were many other things at issue during these times (religion, politics, employment, etc.), but I’ve hit the things that can be explained in a (relatively) short time. And I'm sure there are important things that I have forgotten, and maybe they'll come up in conversation, when someone asks, "What are you thinking?"

So there it is –- a post much longer than I expect anyone to read. If you made it through, congratulations -– here’s a cookie. [Oracle voice] Smell good, don’t they? [/Oracle voice]

[Hoosier coach voice] I love you guys. [/Hoosier coach voice]

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, thanks for the lifestory.

We love you, too.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, someday, if I try very hard, I want to be someone like you. Thank you.

*slides back into retirement*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...and to think I just blew off my 1000th post as a meaningless number. I propose that henceforward it should be a Hatrack tradition on one's 1000th post to do this.

(then again, I'm probably only saying that because this one was so good)

[This message has been edited by jehovoid (edited July 22, 2002).]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
This really was wonderful. Thank you.

Now I need to actually *think* about my 1000th post, instead of just throwing a party.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to meet you.
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit, I can't do this! I'm already past 1000. Maybe on 2000...

By the way, Moose...way cool idea!

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

No, I don't think 2000 deserves being a special occasion. I would be in favor of calling the 6000th post the Bob_Scopatz and requiring that one to be something really funny.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Moose!

<-- Will do this for his 1000 post!
(what am I now, 800?)

-Zev

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose. If I had a younger brother, I'd want him to be like you.

As it is, I'm just very glad to have met you and hope to do it in person some day.

You set the standard for "class act" among the men on this forum.

-Bob

(PS: and since you usually make each post count, your 1000 really surprised me. I would've guessed triple that).

PPS: and your uncharacteristic use of smileys did not go unnoticed!!!

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited July 22, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's forgetting the best part of the post--cookies! Mmmmmm...cookies...

No, really, it was a cool post. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Very Interesting.

You once again remind me that brilliant people can have really sucky situations in the midst of many interesting things happening. You remind me very much of my friend mike (except not 6'8").

At any rate, i find it hard envisioning an angry Moose (though i'm going to canada next week so who knos, maybe i'll see one up close ), particularly having met our moose, and noticing how incredibly -nice- he is. (funny i say that knowing that thats exactly what contributes to the anxiety and expectations of always having to be nice etc etc etc)

You rule Moose. it was certainly nice to have met ya!

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really inspiring and touching of you to shar that with us. The fours days of hell were pretty rough. Yet, no need to live in the past should we?? Best wishes to Squirrel and Mooselet. you shouldn't let the person you love really affect the person you are.

I'm up for the historical 1000th post too. By then my life would be interesting!!

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

If you manage to do something interesting between now and the end of August.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
::gives Moose great, big hug for allowing her to be privledged to know him; swipes cookie::
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is there a deadline? Hmm..will breaking up with a boyfriend be interesting enough. AS you can tell from the "what are you thinking" post. I'm kind of getting sick of it.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

No, no deadline. It's just that your currently averaging 40 posts per day.

(I'm not a numbers person)

(I'm a people person)

[This message has been edited by jehovoid (edited July 22, 2002).]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed by that life story.

Congrats on the 1000th post.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

Ah..okeiz...is that a bad thing?? , I mean with so many 'not understandable posts' well some aren't but..never mind.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose, that was wonderful. Thank you so much, it's nice to be able to learn more about you.

I'm glad I know you even though we've never met in person.

Big hugs, you ole moose you.

(couldn't help the smilie, sorry!)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Moose, that was a great post. Now, for your 2,000 post I expect more good news and less hell. Got it?

Now that I am feeling well, I want to hold Mooselet. He was soo cute at Endercon and I didn't get to pick him up once!

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose,
Congratulations on the 1000th. Our paths may not cross that often, post-wise, but you're one of my favorite people on the 'Rack. I completely agree with Bob: class-act all the way.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
wow-that was a good 1000th post. Happy thousandth-post day! We're lucky to have you
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Papa Moose! You're one of the people I always try to read since you usually have something interesting to say.

And I'm with Human. What do we (who forgot all about our 1000th post) do? I don't want to wait until 6000. sniff, sniff.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Moose, thanks for sharing.

I think my 1000th post i just threw a big party. Seems so meaningless now...

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, a couple of things.

First, I was perhaps unclear in the title of this thread. I said "Real" 1000th post because I had already posted this thread, and was clarifying that this was indeed the actual 1000th post, not just comments regarding it. I realize in retrospect that it could be read as belittling to others' 1000th posts, claiming mine was real and theirs weren't, and that was not even close to being in my mind at the time.

Second, I wasn't posting this to receive any adulation from you all. I do really appreciate the wonderful things some of you have said, though -- I was reading them to Squirrel last night, and got a little choked up at times. You guys really do mean a lot to me.

Third, it seems as though I focused on the negative things that happened in my life. That wasn't my intent -- I suppose they were perhaps more memorable than some other times. And although I sometimes feel a bit of regret about some of the choices I've made, looking back I probably wouldn't change a thing, because I wouldn't be who I am now -- and I'm pretty happy with who I am now. I intend to continue to learn, grow, and mature, but I appreciate the difficult times I've had, and I expect to have more of them. To quote Anna Kirkham (Saints/A Woman of Destiny), "I treasure my regrets. I worked so hard to earn them. They're all that makes my memories worth keeping."

My life has been filled with joy. From the times when I tugged at my godfather's coat around age four, and told him how many kids actually were running around (since he had exaggerated), to the joy of kissing my wife as she went off to work this morning, I have been happy.

I'm going to have to add more to this story, since I'm supposed to send some biographical information about myself to our host, Mr. Card, so that my namesake in his book will actually reflect a little bit of me. There's already way more information than he needs to create Michael Sloan, but Papa Moose begins later, when Mooselet was born, or perhaps earlier, when Squirrel said "I do."

Thank you all for letting me share with you. Any other comments you'd like to make will be welcome, since Connie and I decided last night to print out this entire thread, and place it in Carl's baby time capsule.

A couple other people I must mention -- Slash and monteverdi. Part of the reason I wrote this thread was based on remembering when Slash asked monteverdi to tell us a little about himself (I'm unable to find the thread via search). A lot (most) of the people I know from here are a name and a collection of ideologies/opinions. There are a few people of whom I know a little of their histories, and this knowledge I treasure. I guess I sorta hope I'll get to learn more about more of you, and thought I might start a trend by posting more about me.

Oh, and Theca -- you may not have gotten to hold him, but you have become his favorite word. It sounds a little more like "th-ca" when he says it (two syllables but no middle vowel), but clearly he wants the opportunity to be held by you. Hopefully there will be another Endercon before he grows too much.

Ok, so that's my 1011th post. Not as big a milestone, I suppose. I must admit that although I probably could have written more originally in my 1000th post, I wanted to be done with it so I could start making little comments on other threads, too. I didn't post for four days! Was most difficult. Also, since it's a milestone post, I don't want to edit it -- but I admit to an error. The prayer was the 14th, and the call on the 15th. Don't know why I put 13th, because I know it was two weeks after the 30th, and I know November has 30 days. Anyway, I never claimed to be infallible. Well, I did... but I was kidding. Sorta.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I take a few days off, and look what I miss! Cool posts, Pop, both of them.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

quote:
From the times when I tugged at my godfather's coat around age four, and told him how many kids actually were running around

Proof that Papa Moose was born a math genius.

And I've reconsidered my opinion on the status of those who've already past their 1000th and won't be hitting the 6000 mark for a few years.

Basically, the only reason the 1000th post is special now is because Papa Moose made it so. Kind of like the only reason speaking for the dead becomes such a widespread phenomenon is because Ender is just so good at it. So, if you can make your 2000th post special or your 500th or even (checking my profile) your 1259th, then I say go for it. Of course it may also be a good idea to do all of them in the same thread, maybe even in this one, to avoid clutter.

Anyway, thanks for the correction, Pop, because I'm almost finished building my time machine and it's important to have the right dates.

Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I almost skipped right over this thread, but then I decided to take just a quick peak.

Honestly I do not take many things to heart, or feel emotional about anything. But this was one of the most inspiring and touching posts I have ever read. Your life is a true inspiration and I pray that I grow up to be half the man you seem to be.

Look what you have done to me! I turned into a big pile of mooshiness!!! and THAT IS NO GOOD!!!

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose-- I love you, man. What a wonderful story!

I've always loved seeing pictures of the Mooselet and am very jealous of those who got to see him up close.

I guess I just wanted to post to acknowledge what you have shared, and to let you know that it touched me.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Mooooose!!

Dude, how cool of you to remember. So far this year, I totally missed my 1,000 post (holy cow, I missed my 2,000th post, too!!) I forgot my anniversary and more than likely about a thousand other things. (I'd just like to point out, till someone reminds me of what else I've forgotten, I don't rememeber that I've forgotten it.)

Thanks for the post though....not that it made me feel bad about myself or anything.

[above smilie was used intentionally for Papa Moose's 1,000 post thread. All uses of smilies in other threads are not recommended and may result in a tsk, tsk from Papa Moose.]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Well, in that case:

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, that was wonderful. Thank you so, so much for sharing yourself with us that way. I think that's amazing. You do us such honor. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Shameless bump, 'cause I hope for more people to respond. So sue me. *shrug*>
Stanlie
Member # 3333

- posted      Profile for Stanlie           Edit/Delete Post 
*pats Papa Moose's antlers* Yes Pop, you're still the man.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That was so HUMAN of you...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i am so glad i read this. and i am so glad that even though it's through a little humming box, i know you. *returns hug to moose*
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
::chants:: Moose! Moose! Moose! Moose!
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose, I am very glad you shared with all of us. I too like to know more about those on hatrack. I have always enjoyed your posts. Thank you for the "book"
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Incredibly shameless bump in hopes that someone may read and respond tonight in particular....>
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

haha..Being politely 'demanding' are we? *wink* Particularly tonight?? haha.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Demanding? I wouldn't say demanding.... Hopeful, perhaps. *smile*
OrsonScottCard
Member # 584

- posted      Profile for OrsonScottCard   Email OrsonScottCard         Edit/Delete Post 
"focusing on the negative things" - that's what makes good stories. If you focus on good things you did, that's bragging. If you focus on good things that happened to you, it makes us resent you, not love you <grin>. But including the bad with the good gives it drama, makes it matter. I know you weren't doing art, since you didn't make this stuff up. But you WERE doing art, because you were telling a story to an audience, and selecting what to leave in and what to leave out. And I envy the achievement - the compression, and yet the fulness. Feels like "A Life" and not just a post. Thank you for letting us read it. We already feel like we know you, because we know what you do and say (i.e., the romantic hero). But introducing past and motive etc. makes us feel that we know you far better, even though of course (it is the human tragedy) we never truly KNOW anyone at all. Yet it is thrilling and satisfying to feel that we have been brought that much closer to the impossible goal, and you gave that to us.

And if that isn't the most pretentious response imaginable to an utterly unpretentious and honest selfstory then I will have to turn in my M.A. and admit to failure as a post-academic.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean me?

Moose, that was a really wonderful post. I can't help but draw similarities between parts of your life and mine. Curiously, we both gave up reading, and then were brought back to it by Ender's Game in college. May I ask, what caused you to stop reading in the first place? You sound a lot cooler than me though - I can tell you that one problem I didn't have to deal with in high school is being wanted for being good at too many things.

There is, however, one thing I don't like about this thread: you've only posted 1000 times. The truth is, I have never read a serious post of yours that wasn't well-reasoned, sensible, and meriting some serious thought. Even when you claim you've gotten frustrated, you don't lapse into the sort of attacks that most people do when they become angry. It's clear, even though I've never really met you, just from listening to what you have to say that you're a great guy. So, I really wish you would post more often. I'm serious about that.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

I wonder what Moose both feels and is doing right now....hmm..Nice responce Mr. Card (giving my respect, being as young as I am. )
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
that, is part of the art of writing, moose did a wonderful job...because...most likely...we could see a part of us, in his story, just like we saw a part of ourselves draw parallel with Ender...or Alvin ::grins at Mr. Card (I believe you said something about that somewhere):: ::also showing his respect to his elder, as well as one of the best darned sci-fi writers, if not writers of any genre, ever::

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose,
Great idea about the 1000th post; I've seen other attempts at tthis type of self-history that didn't fly too well, but yours flowed....

I consider myself to be a spiritual person, although not a particularly religious one, and I've found that the only "real" reasons for faith are the extremely personal ones such as yours.
By "real" I only mean that often those reasons, which may not matter to someone else, are often the true foundations for our own beliefs...

Good too hear from you again....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the life story, Moose. I liked learning more about you.

And I'm not even sure what you mean when you say you were short-tempered and anxious...I don't remember you being short-tempered at all. So no apologizing.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.