FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Real 1000th post (warning -- very long!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Real 1000th post (warning -- very long!)
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good story, but it's unfortunate that parts of it are real.

It's good to have you on Hatrack.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if that isn't the most pretentious response imaginable to an utterly unpretentious and honest selfstory then I will have to turn in my M.A. and admit to failure as a post-academic.

No, here's the most pretentious response imaginable:

"I see your M.A. and raise you a Ph.D."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The Slash/monteverdi thread I referenced in my second post on this thread, surprisingly enough, was begun by Slash and entitled Monteverdi. I just happened across it while looking for something else.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Hatracking.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Papa Moose. That was really cool. I'm glad you put in that part about proof of the existence of God. I'm kinda in that predicament right now. Well, Thank you berry much and Happy belated Thousandth Post.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally gathered enough focus to read your truly wonderful story Moose. <My miniscule attention span usually browses over the longer posts>

Thank you.

I'm so lucky to have had the pleasure of spending most of endercon weekend with you and your family. You are all so lucky to have each other.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't get to it earlier, Moose. I was touched. I'd try one myself, but I don't think I could do yours justice.

It's nice to know you, and you just made it even nicer, because I know you that much more. Thanks.

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the man himself gave you a nod.

(Btw, referring to OSC, not Leto. And the fact that I have to clarify that has nothing to do with Leto's esteem, just the length in between posts.)

[This message has been edited by jehovoid (edited August 03, 2002).]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Bumping for reference, because someone is looking for it.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose,

I don't post very often. I am self proclaimed lurker, but reading this thread has brightened a very trying day. I just wanted to thank you for sharing some of your life with us. (I say some because I very much doubt that it's even close to being done.)

I am glad to know you and your family...even if it's just through this board. Besides, anyone who's nickname is Moose has to be cool . Cause as everyone knows (or should know), moose rule.

*Just had to add that smilie*

[This message has been edited by larisse (edited August 13, 2002).]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

<---- Is jealous that his thread didn't bring out any lurkers...
Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Oh, and Pop's thread isn't allowed to fall behind, either.
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing your story.
I read your post almost as soon as it appeared and it really moved me. I didn't post, though, 'cause in general I lurk more than post. But now I've thought that maybe you'd like to know how much I liked it - even if you don't know me.
(And the story seems even better after rereading.)

Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Just a cool side-note: OSC signed my printout of this last night, for Mooselet's time capsule. And both he and Kristine said it's a great tradition, so people need to keep doing it, ok?

--Pop

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, that's awesome! I'm really, really going to have to meet OSC. That 3 or 4 hour drive to the closest signing doesn't seem so far fetched now...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
541 posts to go!!!

Trust me, you guys do NOT wanna miss it!

Unless you have some interest in retaining the small amount of sanity I haven't taken from you yet.
Which you shouldn't.

Oh by the way, it's 540 to go now.
Great post, Moose!

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean they read my thread too?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
That's neat Papa =) Give Mooselet a hug for me, eh?

Hmmm... 951 posts to go...

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
44 left....hmm oh..actually 43 left..goodie.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
*grins* (There ought to be a smilie for this! A grinnie, that is!) So I just learned a number of synonyms for "subtle bump"...

And I'm all grateful for it. Otherwise I would have missed this thread.

Michael-Moose, I've just spent a long time thinking about my own past. Your story bumped something into motion here.

I've rarely met people who are as unpretentiously content with who they are as you seem to be. I plenty admire this, and envy you for it.

No need for cookies to lure me here. But they sure taste great.

Thank you!

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Another shameless bump, as he realizes Tom's (much shorter) post has more responses, while also trying to console himself by believing it's because Tom's thread got derailed, not because Tom is necessarily more well-liked, even if he is a peach, while also being fully aware that this ought not to be a competition.>
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
<insert incredibly long run on sentence in a shameless/jealous attempt to garner more responses than Tom's thread here>
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, we may love Tom more, but hey, we can still be friends.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose,

When you think about it, Tom's post (#8000) would have to garner 8x as many replies as your 1000th post thread just to pull even with you on a reply/post metric.

Given that, and the fact that OSC posted in your thread and used the word "selfstory," I'd have to say you really don't have anything to gripe about and that bumping your thread was just another shameless attempt at showing off!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's any consolation, I like your post considerably better.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
But Papa Moose, dear heart, you were the first. You touched off a spark that keeps burning here, and your role will never be forgotten. And it was your story that rang so true that others will remembering it for as long as people are posting here.

(I think of n-000th posts as "doing a Papa Moose.")

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Designated Bumper
Member # 4487

- posted      Profile for Designated Bumper           Edit/Delete Post 
::bump::
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I am selfishly bumping this thread to prevent its deletion. I say this without shame. I'm also planning on probably deleting this response if anyone else posts another reply after it, so maybe there is just a tiny bit of shame involved.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with the new software you can delete your post right away and the thread stays bumped.

Edit: Not that I'm saying you should be ashamed of bumping your own thread, or anything.

[ July 17, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Glad you bumped it, Papa Moose, or I'd never have seen it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose: Thanks for this thread. I'm glad I got to see it.

We have something in common: We've both been way too close to medians on California highways. I was working in lovely San Diego. After arriving after midnight from SLC, I fell asleep and almost hit the median on the way to the hotel from the airport. I woke up.

(Okay, I know, it's a stretch).

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Wow, the bump was actually worthwhile. Cool.

dkw -- I know it appears to be bumped when that happens, but I don't know what the process is for the forum cleansing (if they reinstitute it), so I wasn't sure if it might get lost anyway. And since you responded directly to my statement, I would now feel bad deleting my post. Thanks a lot. [Wink]

Sweet William and rivka, you might want to check out some other landmark threads, too -- there have been some really fantastic ones.

--Pop

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, I have. [Big Grin] They are fascinating.

[Edit: Well, clearly, I only read some of them. [Embarrassed] Right there at the top, and I missed it. [Roll Eyes] ]

[ July 17, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah pop. im glad i got to read this and see what you posted back in the day. since you are like a god on the forum and all. [Smile] thats meant sincerely, not sarcastically, i always love reading your posts, they always have something good to say.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HatrackChess
Member # 5379

- posted      Profile for HatrackChess   Email HatrackChess         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, wonderful post.

It's nice to have people like you around.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day!? This was less than a year ago!

Back in the day indeed . . .

*mutters about n00bs*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BebeChouette
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for BebeChouette   Email BebeChouette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that this was bumped. Papa, I enjoyed reading your story and regret the fact that you post little these days.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
<Seconds above two posts>

I thought your proof was quite elegant, as well. It makes me think of C. S. Lewis's great dance in Perelandra where everything is the center. In an infinite Universe, that's true, isn't it?

he he... cool... he he...

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad this post was bumped as well! I was really glad to see you posting again recently.

Did anyone ever figure out what the last name to Moose was? *grin*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose - thank you for the post. I haven't been around on the threads that you hang out in and I haven't really gotten to know you very well. This post and thread have fixed all that. There are a handful (ok, a very BIG handful) of people that make this message board special to me and you're definitely one of them, even if I mostly lurk. I don't have online friends, except here. I hope that I get to meet you some day, Pop. You rule. [Big Grin]

[ July 18, 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.