FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » My 1000th post (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My 1000th post
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
With his 1000th post thread, Moose created a great new Hatrack tradition – or what will become a tradition with time. My task is easier – I only have to follow. I don’t really have a story to tell, but I hope this post will let you know something more about me. Don’t expect a work of art, though

I am almost 23, I live in Poland with my parents and a younger brother who’s 15. Our parents have created us a good home. Not a perfect home, one I could proudly describe to you as examplary, but a good home nevertheless. There is a lot of arguing going on – in all possible combinations. I fight a lot with my brother, but the person who makes me cry most is my mom. We differ on so many levels that it’s almost a miracle we haven’t killed each other so far. I genuinely hate her at times. However, my mom is also the person I can rely on, discuss every problem with; the person that will support me no matter what. That contradiction is difficult to understand by some of my friends, and they’re usually surprised when I tell them I had a fight with mom. The common response is: But you seem to have such a good relationship. Well, yes, we do. But we also argue on a daily basis. Anyways - my mom made me the person I am today – even if I grew up quite different from her expectations and hopes.

My dad, on the other hand, introduced me to the love of my life – reading. He’s the one I remember reading me bedtime stories most often – and he did it perfectly, too. He also took me to the movies. When I was old enough to read on my own, and started looking for something different than just fairy tales, he showed me science fiction. He chose books for me to read which I would find interesting and not too difficult. Later on, I read all the books on his bookshelf. Thanks to my dad, I acquired my literary taste by reading the best sci-fi and fantasy writers first – Le Guin, Tolkien, Lem, Herbert to name but a few. Only then, armed with knowledge and experience, did I start experimenting with other authors, thus avoiding some serious mistakes, and severe indigestion.

My brother is fun to be with.

I usually am quiet and shy. I can get nasty at times, though, especially when someone really pisses me off. My reaction then is sudden, hasty, and sharp. People get really surprised then, even the ones that know me well because such my behaviour is very rare . Unless it’s between me and my mom, or me and my brother. They get to see the nasty side of me much too often. I would like everybody to like me and often worry about what people think about me. Weird, huh? At least my parents say it is. I don’t have a boyfriend, and never had one before. I’ve never even kissed. This really bothers me. I’m wondering if there is anything wrong with me. I guess not, but it makes you think ...

Next year I’ll be graduating from university. I will officially be a translator/interpretor. I don’t know what I’ll be doing afterwards, but I sure hope it will be interesting. I’m thinking about applying for the one of the jobs at the EU. They will be needing new people when we join. I might get too scared to do that, though. I don’t really have a very high self-esteem. Still, that would be a great chance. Whatever happens, next year will also be the end of the sheltered life I’ve led so far. I never had to worry about money, housekeeping, etc. My mom also thinks that because of this sheltering I know nothing about the real life. She says it was a mistake because I’m too idealistic. Which is to say I value satisfaction from a job more than money ::shrug:: I told you we differed. Anyways, I hope I will be able to successfully start the new chapter of my life. But I don’t need to worry about this for a couple more months, so I just won’t.

Well, that’s it. Hmmm....

-Kama
The Polish Girl

PS. As a reward for reading all this, you get to see what I look like:

(Warning: poor quality scanning done by brother’s friend. I really need to get this digital camera soon)

here,
here,
and here

[edited to add smilies]

[This message has been edited by Kama (edited July 31, 2002).]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul
Member # 3904

- posted      Profile for Paul   Email Paul         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA! I didn't read it but I still looked at the pictures! BWAHAHAHA! Will my evils never stop.

-Paul
The Evil Kid

P.S. Those pictures are quite flattering.

Posts: 1360 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

hmmm....
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't polish chicks supposed to have hairy underarms? Yours were quite smooth.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there were beaches in Poland. Anyway, nice pictures. Paul is evil I did read all of your post.
Happy Thousandth Post Anniversary! It's nice to know more about you.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Slash: no, they aren't

The pictures were taken in Bulgaria, which is a beautiful, beautiful country.

[But there are beaches in Poland, too. At the Baltic Sea]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, this was wonderful to read. I never intended to start a tradition, but if this catches on as one I think I'll like it.

As others commented, it's easy for me to see myself in a lot of what you write. And it's wonderful to be able to put both a face and a background to your name.

I'm guessing you copied the information in here from another program, and you had two smilies in there before. The smilie, in programs such as Word, is in the WingDings font, and corresponds to the capital J in other fonts. So when I saw the two J's at the ends of paragraphs 1 and 5, I saw them as smilies, and no, I wasn't offended (as many would like you to believe).

Let us know what's going on in a couple of months, when you start worrying.... *wink*

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
<seal of approval>

The pictures are a nice tradition addition (of course, not everyone will have the desire or ability to do that, so it's not mandatory).

One question: What's the deal with putting a 'J' at the end of two of your sentences? Is that a Polish thing or something?

Okay, thanks for figuring that one out, Sherlock Moose.

Also, I have every confidence that things will work out for you. Besides all of the promising information in your post, the fact that you post on Hatrack at all spells "success" for you.

[This message has been edited by jehovoid (edited July 31, 2002).]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I answered that, jehovoid....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Thanks, Papa(also for smiley info).

Hatrack started to mean a lot to me, so you'll be among the first to know about my future worries (and moments of joy)

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on reaching 1000. That was really fun to read!! It's always fun for me to get to learn more about a fellow Hatracker. The pictures looked great! They made me terribly homesick for Bulgaria - I consider it as much a home, sometimes more so, than the US.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Slash, that was my first thought too.

Congrats Kama! Nice pictures. Beautiful scenery and a pretty girl. Perfect combo.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the 1000th post and, you know, powodzenia!

Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose is just glad that this isn't about Onanism!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Thanks!!! *really likes Hatrack*

*and Hatrackers*

Dzieki Kate!

And, so you all know: POLISH GIRLS DO NOT HAVE HAIRY UNDERARMS!!!!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider! That was just so inappropriate!!
LOL.

Anyway, Kama, I hope you find what many of us do as we make our own way in life -- that our relationship with our parents becomes much nicer and rewarding.

You are a very pretty woman and I find it hard to believe that you won't also find yourself very popular in your new life as well. It's very tough having a boyfriend/girlfriend while still living with your parents IMHO.

Anyway, congratulations on the 1000th post and on your pending life change!

-Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrackers are cool. They do things that other forums do, like share bits of their lives and post pics, but they're so stinking classy about it.

Kama - You are beautiful. Sandy and I were talking last night in parachat about having to take out Denmark and kill all those hot, Nordic people for being so freaking beautiful. Apparently, we are going to have to hit Poland next.

Can't have all these beautiful people running about higgedly-piggedly. Something needs to be done about it, and Sandy and I are just the jealous, vindictive types to do it!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kama's kind of cute.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Thank you guys. You're spoiling me.

Bob, Ralphie, I'm going to save your posts and read them every time I'm sad or depressed. In fact, Im going to save the entire thread.

*dances*

Yes, Hatrack is cool.

*dances more*

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd better believe it!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on you 1000th post-that was a good one, and I enjoyed reading it
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*bump for more people to see*

I won't do that again, promise

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

It's ok, Kama -- I did it several times, and nobody has seriously called me on it, and people like you much more than they like me.

Plus, the more times you bump your thread, the less guilty I'll feel about bumping mine.

Kama
Member # 3022

Ok then, I'll keep bumping it..........until it reaches 3 pages.

hahahahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Kama
Member # 3022

I don't think people like me more, though - I don't have any Mooselets.
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
and people like you much more than they like me.

Hey, why the negative attitude Pop?

I wan't you to find a mirror, look at yourself in it, and repeat after me, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

Don't just say it...feel it....know it.

There, feel better now?

[This message has been edited by Strider (edited August 01, 2002).]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

The mirror broke. What does that mean?
Paul
Member # 3904

It means you share an attribute with Herman Munster, one of the most loved TV characters ever!
Posts: 1360 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

It means you're a horrible person and nobody likes you.

Boy, should've kept that question to yourself huh?

edited to say that no smilies were used for the benefit of Papa Moose

[This message has been edited by Strider (edited August 01, 2002).]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Wonders what the attribute might be. Decides not to think too much about it.>
Paul
Member # 3904

The uncanny ability to break mirrors with your face! Everyone loved that gag!

<edited to say that while many people can break mirrors with their face, not too many can do it without getting bloody glass shards in aforementioned face>

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited August 01, 2002).]

Kama
Member # 3022

I think someone just broke it by accident. It wasn't your faut. Or maybe it was just a very old mirror. It happens, you know. Doesn't mean anything.
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post, Kama. Nice pictures, too (you're very beautiful... wonderful smile).

This thread hasn't quite enough posts in it for the effort put in, so...

*bump*

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I should hope you don't have any Mooselets. Squirrel would have to wonder about that. Sheesh, imagine it, supersmart (yours and Pop's brains combined) beautiful Nordic children running around. Maybe someday you'll have some Kamalets though.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Leto's a sucker for the pretty ladies, even the ones so distant...heh.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the sudden urge to find a picture of me on the computer and post it...I have no scanner or any other means of getting one on though...*shrugs*....anyway, I don't think i should post mine quite yet...I'll do what Kama did...where'd the harry underarms idea come from anyway?
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Leto: You know, you really should visit Poland one day *wink, wink*

jehovoid: I'll need to think of a different name than Kamalet - that's just too similar to omelette.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Yeah -- that would be pretty cheesy. You'd probably find yourself with egg all over your face.
Leto II
Member # 2659

quote:
Leto: You know, you really should visit Poland one day *wink, wink*

<--- blushing

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Yeah, and you called me "wonderful and bright", too

jehovoid
Member # 2014

Hey, Leto, I think Ralphie's gonna get jealous.
Leto II
Member # 2659

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I even saved the links you gave, for later use.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*mutters something about Leto not having to have said that, as it gives fugus innocent little mind scary pictures*

Hey Kama, my sister recently went to Poland, where she'll be staying for a year. Shes in Krakow right now, and shes studying right now at either Jagilonian (sorry for my spelling) university or the Polonia institute, I forget which, or even if they're different.

So if you ever run into a Julie Duhon, tell her her brother said hi It would so freak her out.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I _think_ he meant the links in the other thread

Hey, I hope she'll like Poland. The Jagiellonian University is the oldest and one of the best in the country. And Krakow is a beautiful city.

Leto II
Member # 2659

Perhaps I should clarify: They were two links on the USSR from this thread (though from the second page). Though the second one now seems a dead link, the first will be very useful to me later. I try to save anything I can learn from, nowdays, which happens to be a lot.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I submit to the Committee of Inuendo and Onanism that you were purposefully ambiguous knowing full well what outsiders might read into it.
fugu13
Member # 2859

* mutters something about Leto misleading fragile young minds *

*prepares to testify that Leto knowingly and willfully messed with peoples' heads*

*is ROFLMAO*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

I can't believe it- fugu is prepared to testify against me. That means I have to break out my blackmail measures so soon. Sheesh, no justice in the world any more...
fugu13
Member # 2859

*mumbles something along the lines of "why, uh, no, I have no testimony to give. What? Uh, no that isn't a gun being held to my head... its.. uh... a device to help me remember. I remember very clearly that I have nothing to say to nobody about nuthin Leto has never not done."*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.