FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » A virtual tour of my home town

Author Topic: A virtual tour of my home town
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I was bored... And besides, I more or less know what an average American city/town looks like. So I thought it would be cool to give you the opportunity to have a look at an average Polish town.

I live in Tychy, a town of 130 000 people, with 29 elementary schools, 10 high schools, 1 cinema, 1 theater, a swimming pool and a skating rink. The first mention of the Tychy village appeared in the documents from 1467 AD. In 1629 a brewery was build, and it still exists here today. In 1950 the government decided to develop the town to create housing for people working in the nearby city of Katowice. Soon, though, it started developing its own industry and became an independent town.

This is the older part of the town. This church, erected in 1782, is one of the oldest buildings. Another historical place would be this palace, build in 1760-66, situated nearby the Paprocany lake. The modern part (built in the 1970s/80s) is pretty grim, due to the architectural fashion of the time, promoting "The Modern." There are some interesting buildings, however, such as the town hall or this block of flats. And even the most gloomy place can look beautiful at times. A lot has been built since 1990, and there has been an attempt to make the grey cubes look more colorful and cheerful. Btw, this is the area where I live, and you can see a part of my block here. The big reddish/brownish building is the elementary school. Far behind is the local catholic church, which you can see here. It looks pretty cool inside, too.

The funny thing about the town is that it has no real town centre. Some claim it's the market square at the old church, some - that it's this street with the hotel, or the one with the cinema, and some that it's around the town hall. But the truth is - it just has none.

Well, that's my town. I hope you've enjoyed the tour.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Centurion
Member # 3956

- posted      Profile for Centurion           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Kama. I did. Thank you.
Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 

<-- applauding

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I'm learning from the best, Leto
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a beautiful place you live in, Kama. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Kama! Thanks for the look.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Poland (your part especially) is beautiful.

I was just disappointed that there were no pictures of Kama too

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you get the pictures, Kama? That was very cool. Good Job.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all the little tiny cars. It looks like a town filled with Yugos.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- loved the tour.

Thanks, Kama!

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Kama! It made me all nostalgic for Bulgaria.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing, Kama.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty depressed the entire day until I saw your beautiful pictures. Thanks

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work with the camera! I admit I used to think of Poland as cold and gray everywhere, but that was old cold war prejudice. All I ever saw were the depressing shots of pain and hunger that our media loved to serve up. But you found lots of joy and color with your lens.

The zupes (apartment building complexes) can get depressing--I spent lots of time in and around them as a missionary in France. Every town had them. The ones in Tychy look exactly the same as everywhere else. But every town I visited in France and Belgium had layers and layers of beauty and character, too. You're showing that's true in Poland as well.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Thanks, guys

I wish I could say I took the pics myself, but I just found them on the town hall site. Er, I hope I'm not doing anything illegal by sharing them? And the pics of the colourful blocks were taken by a friend. Kind of. The "tiny cars" are Fiats and they were produced in my town. But they don't do them anymore. I used to have one of these but they're so darn small and uncomfortable so I just bought a bigger one.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Kool Kama! I especially liked the brewery...so clean!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
To use a Ralphie-ism... Le *bump*
Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This would receive my nomination for Hatrack Post of the Year.

I thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into your home. Some of those pictures are stunning, espcially the one of the church at night. Wow.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
That was really interesting. Thank you!

By the way, in the picture of the park in winter, what does the sign say?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Say, that church looked really neat. I hate modern boring churches. I didn't see any kneelers. It looked like there used to be some. People don't kneel on the floor do they?
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Belle: a Post of the Year ? Thank you!!!

Yozhik: that's one of the railway stations (or used to be, cause I don't think trains stop there anymore). The sign says Tychy town. (miasto = town)

Theca: at the time the pic was taken there were no kneelers. They were added recently. However, since most people in Poland are catholics, and many of them do go to church every Sunday, only about a third of the people get to sit down. The rest has got to stand during the mass and kneel on the floor. Also, (cause you can't really see it in the pic) - the benches are all around the altar (there are some behind it, too) And the altar itself is situated a bit higher than the rest of the church, and symbolises the Synai mountain.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama- that was great.

I wonder if 400 years from now, our ancesters will look back and say, 'Gosh, that mini-mall's archirtecture is breathtaking. It's so. . . soulful. Sublime. Where are all the masters, these days?'

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Kama
Member # 3022

Just one more bump, in case someone's missed it
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I missed it. It is cool. But why haven't you included Wroclaw in your map?

Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Heh. Well, I was looking for a map that would be pretty clear *and* include Tychy. But tell you what. You might make your own Wroclaw thread

BTW, Kate, are you watching "Wiedzmin"?

Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for a delay. But thanks to it what a nice bump!

No, I'm not watching "Wiedzmin". I mean I'm always going to but I'm always hindered by something. My friends say it's far better than the cinema version. They say they give the series "conditional approval". After the trauma of cinema version no one dares to hope it'll be good to the end. Zebrowski, of course, rocks!

Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

bumps are good

Yeah, conditional approval is a good way to describe my feelings towards it.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked at the pictures yet (it's slow downloading from poland to the US right now), I was surprised by the number of high schools in your town.

I think my hometown (Newport News, VA) is 200,000 or so, and only has 5 high schools (3 public schools, two private).

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I think the difference is in the school system. A regular high school lasts for 3 years and finishes with a maturity exam. We have 5 regular high schools in town (by regular I mean ones that give general education) and 5 technical ones (with different profiles). The technical schools last a year longer(if you want to graduate with a maturity exam, which you need if you want to go to university). You can also choose to learn for only 2 years in the technical school, and only get a profession.

I hope what I wrote is clear enough.

Also, maybe it's the number of students? How big is an average high school?

Kama
Member # 3022

And there are quite a few smaller towns in the area, so the kids that live there also go to high schools in Tychy.

[This message has been edited by Kama (edited October 09, 2002).]

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I discovered we actually have five public high schools, one of which I really have never heard of (and the other I simply forgot about). There are 9,000 in the public schools (2,250 in each grade so average of 450 in each school), and probably about 500 in the two private ones.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Well, then, yes. Our schools are half as small.
The Notorious Mr Meme
Member # 3958

- posted      Profile for The Notorious Mr Meme           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Kama, have any of your students hit on you yet?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

well, they sometimes compliment me, but I think they do it so that I don't give bad marks
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they care about marks too much, as they can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and I think we all know what that is.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Designated Bumper
Member # 4487

- posted      Profile for Designated Bumper           Edit/Delete Post 
::bump::
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.