FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » 8000 Posts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 8000 Posts
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I didn't expect this to happen today, especially since I'm still averaging only five or six a day, but -- luckily for Bob, I suppose -- we had a few serious political, ethical, and scientific threads, and at least one person who called me holier-than-thou.

In a lot of ways, this is a microcosm of my time spent at Hatrack.

I've struggled for nearly a week to come up with something deep to say on this thread; a lot of people have written some very brilliant, moving, and fascinating posts for their traditional "milestone," and I couldn't think of anything to fill those shoes.

Then I realized why.

It's because I don't have anything special to say about myself; everything there is to know about me is ALREADY here, over the last four years. What more could I say, what more could I BE, than what I've been and talked about being here?

Really, the only noteworthy thing about hitting 8000 posts is that, unlike a lot of people who've been around a lot longer on forums that predated this one, I stuck around.

I don't know why so many of the others drifted away. I know some just got too busy. Others felt like they had run out of things to say, or had seen all the arguments and discussions too many times to maintain interest. Some didn't like the new format, or thought the tone of the forum changed in ways they didn't appreciate (especially compared to our idealized memories of the ones that had gone before).

But I DO know why I stayed.

I like you. I like this place.

I'm not the kind of person who dreams about Hatrackers or comes up with imaginary presents. I didn't go to EnderCon. I probably won't ever buy a Hatrack T-shirt.

But there are people here who mean the world to me, and I just wanted y'all to know that. I'm still here because, every single day, I'm reminded of how many good people there are in the world -- and grateful that so many of them are willing to get together in one place and talk about crap.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
very good. I'm glad you didn't drift away. Sometimes I wonder what I missed by arriving so late.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 8000th. At my rate I'll have to will my user ID to my grand-nephew in order for it to have an 8000th post.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is a great person and i'm glade he is around.

(Do i get an extra level for that?)

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My first post in this forum was in a thread of yours. It was a pretty lame post. Good thread, though.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you stuck around, Tom.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds TomD*

Hatrack Rules! I've always been amazed how certain communities of people form strong bonds, even though most of them have never seen each other in person. Hatrack is one of the most excellent examples of this phenomenon.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah...impressive, 8,000 posts.

quote:
But there are people here who mean the world to me

Not yet sweetie....ohhhhh but I will someday.

*blames her goofiness on Friday..Woo Hoo..it's Friday*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Tom. I don't know whether to say congratulations, or get a life.

Seriously, it's great to have you on the forum. I always enjoy your contributions.

Congratulations.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
::hugs Tom::

You are, after all is said and done, a fun, smart guy. Just very annoying sometimes. And very wrong sometimes, too.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 

Congratulations.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another one that's glad you're still around. The things that you say, whether I agree with them or not, force me to re-examine myself, my own perceptions, and beliefs, for which I am grateful. Stick around at least until Karl and I make our 8000th posts.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Tom. Here's to another 8000 posts!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Member # 2050

- posted      Profile for Patrick           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first time I learned Tom was younger than I. I was astounded -- he was so much more mature sounding, smarter... he couldn't be older than me.

I started out thinking he was the pompous ass that he has a reputation for. I don't know if he remembers when I attacked him about his Mormon bashing tendencies at ornery.org. I don't even remember what sent me over the edge, but I was definitely in a fuss.

I grew to like the guy as time went on, and have even defended him to other mormons who see him as an insufferable anti-mormon.

Tom is one of the few hatrackers who has particularly influenced me by one of their posts. One was his response to an abortion thread that was getting a lot of action a year or so ago. I won't repeat the story, but it made me understand his POV much clearer than it had before -- in fact, it made me love him for what he had been through and feel for him.

Another time was when I was taking him to task for not believing in God. I actually asked him if he had ever tried to find out if there was a God. His response was stunning to me, and made me rethink how I view those who are athiest/agnostic or whatever he is.

Anyway, he's turned into a good buddy. And he plays a mean game of mafia.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited October 18, 2002).]

Posts: 2770 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One was his response to an abortion thread that was getting a lot of action a year or so ago.

*nods* I remember that too.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Whiteshoes
Member # 2951

- posted      Profile for Eddie Whiteshoes           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's a pillar -- the pillar -- of Hatrack and Ornery. No offense meant to anyone else, but while there are some incredible minds out there whom I like and respect, a la Moose, Storm Saxon, Belle, John, Jeni, none of you can hold a candle to this guy.

Quite often, Tom's slapping my wrists for going overboard on a topic. Though he doesn't truly rip into me, I take every criticism he gives -- no matter how mild -- to heart. I've never seen him as hateful, let alone near the extremes I, and others here, have reached.

I'm going to cut this off before it gets (more) sappy. Tom, dude, you hold a great deal of my respect and, I wish I could say, friendship. You've always been here to set Hatrack straight, and dealt with the vitrolic and soft-spoken alike with a fair tongue. You're easily the greatest mind on Hatrack, and I doubt there's anyone here who could or would disagree with me. Bravo, dude.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Tom.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, Eds, I'm not even the most COHERENT mind on Hatrack.

But thank you, everyone.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
..such the vet... ..Congrats!
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
That post on the abortion thread was...oh, I don't know the word...historic? transformational? I don't know...but it had the same effect on me as Pat shared.

This place just wouldn't be the same without TomD. I'm so glad you're here!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is all right. No, more than all right. Tom is downright cool.

I like Tom.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Master Poster! May your fingers never tire of sharing your wit and wisdom with us here at Hatrack. May your mind remain as razor sharp as it is today. I hoist a glass of the good old stout in your honor!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So I don't actually know anything about Tom really. I know this proves I'm still a newbie but if he wants to share more about himself I'd be interested to read.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom -- Congratulations and thanks for being one of the people who makes Hatrack worth doing! You're a peach. Kristine Card
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now I'm jealous....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you be jealous of that, Pop? Wasn't your original thread mentioned at Endercon by one of the Cards as being special?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

My thread wasn't posted until after Endercon. There was a response from OSC himself on it, though, and Kristine mentioned at a signing that she thought it was a great tradition. But she called Tom a peach!

Of course, she's right. He is a peach.

--Pop

Baldar
Member # 2861

- posted      Profile for Baldar           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Tom. I look forward to posting with you ad infinitum.
Posts: 6449 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Flibble
Member # 4178

- posted      Profile for Mr. Flibble   Email Mr. Flibble         Edit/Delete Post 
Your a good egg Tom.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually listen to Tom.
*runs to mirror to check whether everything else is still all right*

And here's a present for you. I thought you might like it. If not, you can always pass it on to Bob...

It's a ticket to a gallery (my favorite pic there is called "Halleluja"):

http://www.behrenfamilie.de/Sahm/Sahmbilder_1.htm

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Flibble
Member # 4178

- posted      Profile for Mr. Flibble   Email Mr. Flibble         Edit/Delete Post 
Its definitely earthy Sal.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That means Tom is fuzzy, and not smooth like a nectarine.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 

[EDIT: My smilies weren't up to snuff!]

Hobbes

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited October 18, 2002).]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 8000th Tom!
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Tom!
::remembers when Tom got his 6000th post::
::feels old::
Many thanks for: ~Always listening ~Being honest (yes, even when painfully so) ... There's a very long list of things to thank you for. For now, however, thanks for being a part of Hatrack.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
happy 8000th post!
*raises toast to Tom*

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Tom. Hello Tom. Nice to have you around.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
For all the times you've made me burst out laughing, Tom! <raises glass of caffeine free diet coke>
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, grandpa. I've known your name for almost four years now (whether or not you've known mine). But you are far more diligent and dedicated than I may ever be to this board. You'll always be the second most popular guy at Hatrack.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've got me wondering patrick, how old Tom is...he definitely has that 'dad' feel to me. So PapaMoose until I saw a photo of him. Geez, next I'll be finding out that Bob's still a boyscout.

Tom is great. Even on those days when I skim threads rather than read each post carefully, I always pause when I see Tom's name.

Happy 8000th, Tom!

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
*Grin* Of course Tom has that aura of being a dad. Along with Uncle Orson, of course, Tom is genuinely the father of the Hatrack forums as we know them. Right from the early days of the BML forums, his fairness and humour and annoying habit of finding something to say that we hadn't thought of yet but was absolutely spot-on, and his honesty with himself and others... all those things are what made Hatrack a pleasant place to come and play and learn. I've always respected you, Tom, even when we've disagreed, and so often you've said something that made me re-think my own position. I remember a very personal post that you made on the BML forums about abortion that was so powerful it made me cry. I remember many more times that you've made me laugh, and I'm so glad that you're still here.

*raises cup of coffee* From one old-timer to another, here's to Tom!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Tom! I too enjoy your insights and wisdom. I'm a little awestruck at the thought of 8000 posts... I'll never make it to that pinnacle of posting.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i, too, like tom. it wasn't always so, but i stuck around and my mind was changed.
i'm glad you stuck around, too.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you've stuck around so long Tom. Hatrack would never be the same without you.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dspeyer
Member # 758

- posted      Profile for dspeyer   Email dspeyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading through the old Forum the other weekend. Not a lot of names I knew, but TomD and aka were there and their posts were an upswing in the thread.

I'm glad to see that the best people don't always leave.

Posts: 643 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tom. You are one of the persons who make me (and people like me) hang around Hatrack. I don’t contribute much to this place – I usually lurk, sometimes post some fluff – but I love coming here, thanks to you and some other people. Congrats and many .
Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Tom,

I, like Kate, usually lurk and post fluff but I appreciate all of you who make Hatrack such a great community.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Eight-thousand posts?!

<--wonders if, in 7915 posts, she'll become as cool as Tom.

<--Make that 7914.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.