FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » My 1,206th Post, or: Why I'm Cool and Indispensible to Hatrack

Author Topic: My 1,206th Post, or: Why I'm Cool and Indispensible to Hatrack
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually forgot to do this at my 1,206th post, so I'm actually about 20 posts late. Oh well. After Ralphie's suggestion, I just had to take this opportunity.

So why am I cool? Well, first of all, I know tons of stuff about English grammar, usage, punctuation, and style. If that doesn't make someone cool, I don't know what does.

"So what else makes Jon Boy cool?" you may be asking. Well, here are a few things:

• I love cartoons (though most new ones suck). Some of my favorites are Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, Sam & Max, The Tick, and The Angry Beavers.
  • I read comic strips religiously. My favorites are Calvin & Hobbes, The Norm, Dilbert, Sherman's Lagoon, and Peanuts.
  • I have loved Star Wars all my life. I want to be a Jedi knight. I don't really confuse Star Wars and Star Trek, though I like to joke about it.
  • I love Zork, though I haven't beaten all of them.
  • I'm one of the only English majors in the world who doesn't plan on being a teacher or going on to law school. And actually, I'm switching to the new English language (as in English linguistics, not TESOL or ESL or something) when it opens in the fall. I can't wait to call myself a philologist, partly because it sounds cool, and partly because that's what Tolkien was.
  • If I had enough time, money, and energy, I'd double-major in English language and art (drawing and painting emphasis). I'd also get minors in linguistics, English, computers and humanities, and editing. As it is, I'll just have to settle for the one major and two minors (art and editing [but maybe English, too]).
  • I actually like editing. However, I like writing more. In addition to having my own web site where I sporadically post stuff, I'm working on a new online student publication called Inspite Magazine. BYU students (or anyone, really), please check it out.
  • I have manly stubble . . . when I don't shave, anyway.
  • I love Robert Jordan but hate Terry Goodkind. Don't even try to tell me they're the same.

I'm sure I have plenty of other cool traits that make me indispensible to Hatrack, but I have a hard time remembering all of them.

Hmm. Maybe I should think about adding "humility" to my list of cool traits . . .

Edit: Typos, omissions, and clarity.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited February 21, 2003).]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
False advertising! I clicked on that link expecting manly stubble and it was barely a shadow.

*goes off to look at Aragorn pin-up calendar for true stubble-fix*

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Barely a shadow! Hmph. For someone as facial-hair-impaired as me, I think it's pretty good.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your cooldom reigns over all, JB. Heh, am I being sarcastic?
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
*strikes again*
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sarcastic? I . . . I don't know! With so much sarcasm running rampant, I've lost the ability to tell the difference between intentional irony and serious statements!
*head explodes*

Sarcasm
Member # 4653

*runs rampant*
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin and Hobbes is a thing of beauty.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, let me know if you continue to have problems with Zork. My only published book includes how to win those.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe. I've never seen sarcasm run rampant. Does it havea nice running style? How about the track? Is rampant worth running?

Gods, I'm funny.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not cool! You are posting all these narcistic threads and promising anything, but when I ask you to be my coach you just IGNORE me!
Bah!

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

*ties EG's shoelaces together*
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ginette, I'd love to be your coach. What do you need coaching on? It seems that you already speak better English than most native-born Americans.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited February 19, 2003).]

Eliza Bennet
Member # 4493

- posted      Profile for Eliza Bennet   Email Eliza Bennet         Edit/Delete Post 
All that, and you look good in a wet shirt.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*slaps forehead*

I knew I was forgetting something!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You know, I was really hoping that the great Ralphie herself would grace my thread with her presence. <sigh>
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll give you the next best thing. Me.

Cool? You? Pshaa, we'll find out when we play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. I'm going to bring the cards. Maybe we won't actually play a game, but instead just keep track of points. Winner is cooler... geekier... but cooler. Agreed?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Next best thing? Hmm . . .

You're on, T.

Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I thought Inspite was hilarious. Especially the article about driving in Provo. I agree, and I don't even have a car! How pathetic is that?
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Thanks. I'm working on the Valentine's Day issue right now. It's a bit late, but I hope it'll be worth it. I hope to have it up this weekend. I'm also trying to get some more writers so that there's a little more variety.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy - I was waiting for my agent's permission.

By creating a thread based entirely off of my suggestion (doing your part to perpetuate the idea that I'm The Great Puppet Master) you have indeed made yourself both cool and indespensible to Hatrack.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie's agent

If you have to ask, then I can't tell you.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please. Everyone knows that this is my agent.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's official -- I've even got the Ralphie Seal (Spank?) of Approval!

Jehovoid: I don't want to ask.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited February 20, 2003).]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

To Diosmel Duda and anyone else who enjoyed Inspite Magazine, the February issue is (finally!) available here.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks Jon Boy is the Cat's Meow

rrrrowwwrr!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wow. I've never been the cat's meow before. Cat's plaything, or cat's servant, but not cat's meow. Thanks.
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can go back and edit your first post so that the items in your list are numbered, bulleted or somehow separated...

[This message has been edited by Unmaker (edited February 21, 2003).]

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. Good idea. It kind of all runs together. Thanks. I don't know how to do numbered or bulleted lists with UBB code, though.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
  • This is the first bulleted item.
  • This is the second bulleted item.

UBB Code

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better!
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Cool. Thanks, Tick.
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering how you can have the unmitigated gall to sport that stubble when you are a BYU student. I am guessing that you don't have a beard card.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Geez, Jacare, did you read the caption? I was on vacation. Give me a break!

During the rest of the year, I only have enough unmitigated gall to sport about two days' growth (though I once got into the testing center with three days' growth). My facial hair is pretty light and sparse, though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.