Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » zgator Turns 1000

Author Topic: zgator Turns 1000
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right. It's what you've all been waiting for. The amazing story of my life. Actually, compared to a lot of the landmark posts I've read, my life has been quite simple.

I was born and raised in the small town of Lake Wales, Florida in 1967 back when the area was still overwhelmed with citrus groves. You may have heard of Lake Wales for famous landmarks such as Spook Hill and Bok Tower. Much of the groves died during hard freezes in previous decades and were never replanted. They have since been replaced with subdivisions.

Both my parents were teachers, so we used to take long vacations over the summers in our station wagon. This was back when station wagons had those tailgunner seats. So yes, that may have been me looking right at you from the back of the wagon making strange faces. One summer, we headed west to Texas, dropped down into Mexico and back up, stopped at the Grand Canyon, through Death Valley, up to San Fransisco and the redwoods, across the top to Mount Rushmore and back to Florida. Another summer we drove up the east coast all the way to Maine for a month, hopped over to Quebec for a week and came back. Since my Dad was a history teacher, we stopped at every site of historical significance along the way. There seem to be quite a few in New England. I had been to about 40 of the states by car by the time I was 12.

My Mom was a devout Southern Baptist, so I grew up going to church every Sunday and sometimes on Wed, too. It was a big part of my life growing up mainly because that's where most of my best friends were. I was always a good kid right up til the end of my senior year in high school. That was when I got invited to my first party and found out what all the cool kids were doing on the weekends. I still remember being amazed at the fact that I couldn't walk straight after 2 beers.

High school was fairly easy for me as it seems to have been for a lot of you here. Going to the University of Florida right after high school was a major shakeup for me. The very first class I attended (Biology) had about 600 students in it. That was almost 3 times as large as my graduating class. High school did not prepare me at all for college and I had to make large changes to my study habits. I originally planned to major in aeronautical engineering, but then realized how bad the job market was for that. After changing my mind a few other times, I ended up in Civil Engineering. In just a few years, my career path went from designing planes to playing in the dirt.

I stuck around and got a Masters degree for 2 reasons. First, in my profession, you can't go far without it. It's specialized enough to require the extra knowledge and I was told by several employers that I would hit a wall quickly until I got it. Second, I knew the real world was not the same as college life and I thought I would make it last a little longer.

I got a job at one of the best geotech companies in Florida and have been here for 11 years now. I've been priviledged to work on some really cool projects like the Kraken roller coaster at Sea World and the I-4 bridge over the St. Johns River. I am now in charge of all FDOT work out of my office and work with FDOT personnel on a regular basis. If you'd like to know what that is like, walk up to the nearest wall and bang your head into it.

Ny finest achievement was snagging mrs. zgator. Up til her, I had never had a long-term relationship before. Not because of any fear of commitment on my part, it just had never clicked up til that point. I had always had my mind set that "my type" was little petite girls. mrs. zgator was 5'8" and even though she was beautiful, smart, sexy and everything else, I didn't really think about it that way at first. Then a friend mentioned that, thus far, going for "my type" had resulted in absolutely nothing so maybe I should expand my horizons. We started dating and I asked her to marry me in front of the Hope diamond about a year later. We got married 6 months after that and every year since then keeps getting better and better.

Now, after 2 years of trying, my wife is finally pregnant and in 6 months, I'll be a daddy.

Looking back, life has been very good to me for which I am very thankful. Sometimes, I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. Things this good can't last forever. Sometimes I wonder how strong my character is since it has never been truly tested. Some of you here have gone through some real trials in life, have come through them and have become wonderful people. To me, that says a lot about who you are.

Anyway, thank you Hatrack. You have become a wonderful respite for me through the work day. Actually, lately it seems more like work is a nice respite for a day on Hatrack. You have opened my mind to new ways of looking at things. You have made me take a look at some of my opinions and ideals and scrutinize them.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope - not merely simple. Peaceful and fulfilling (leaving out the brick wall part - but hey, that's management, right?)

Great post!

Congratulations on impending fatherhood.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Don't worry about not being tested or that something bad must happen to keep things in balance. Just enjoy the life, and what will be, will be.

Great post.

[This message has been edited by Kate Emily (edited March 13, 2003).]

Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on reaching 1000 posts!
Congratulations on your great relationship!
Congratulations again on your impending fatherhood!

quote:
We started dating and I asked her to marry me in front of the Hope diamond about a year later.

hmm...sounds like a really cool story...c'mon, share!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Ooh, that is actually a pretty good story. Kristine was going to a conference in Baltimore and had never been to DC, so I flew up to meet her for a long weekend of sight-seeing. I had already started looking at rings, so I decided this would be the perfect opportunity to surprise her.

I met with a wholesale diamond merchant through a friend of a friend of a friend who came to my office to show me his wares. There were many faces plastered to my office window that day watching all the glittering little stones on my desk that day. I made my choice and picked out a really simple setting for it and had to wait to get it.

My flight left early afternoon on a Friday. Friday morning, I had to work in the field with the drillers and was still frantically trying to find a time and place to meet with the diamond guy. Finally, I got hold of him and met him in a Wendy's parking lot on my way to the airport. And yes, I did get appraised later and it was slightly better than what he had told me.

We get to DC and I decide to do it in front of the Hope diamond at the Smithsonian. Up til that point, I'm riding around on the Metro with a diamond ring in my pocket praying that we won't get mugged or something. If you've ever been to the Natural History museum, you know that the diamonds are on the second or third floor. I have never had so much trouble walking up a flight of steps as I did that day. My knees were like jello.

We got to the diamond exhibit and she was joking around about how I could get her this one or that one when I finally proposed. When we got to the Hope diamond, I got down on one knee, pulled out the ring and told her that this one was a bit smaller, but would she wear it. Or something like that. I don't remember what I actually said. It's funny, though, because I thought everyone would notice what was happening. NOBODY seemed to notice what we were doing and there were a lot of people there. Oh well, it wasn't for them anyway.

She said yes.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on 1000 and the impending fatherhood!

Thanks for sharing the life story with us, I really enjoyed learning about ya!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Pending Dad-hood is cool, isn't it?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

That is a cool story!

Thanks for sharing it!

Of course it shames me. I consider myself to be a romantic, but I don't have anything on that...

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, it takes a really secure person to propose in front of the Hope Diamond! They say size doesn't matter. I guess we all have proof of that now.

Congratulations on the baby! I bet you and I met somewhere on one of those summer vacations. (Of course, I considered them torture because we didn't have a station wagon and three kids in the back seat of a car driving across the desert screaming, "Will you stop touching me!" and eating 90% of our meals out of a cooler was just not cool. )

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Kayla, I thought I was one of the few that had to eat meals out of a cooler in the back seat of the car.

I feel so close to you now.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know ya, z
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 1000!

I really enjoyed your post-thanks. It's so simple and happy We're lucky to have you here

[This message has been edited by Toretha (edited March 13, 2003).]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 1000th to you!
Happy 1000th to you!
Happy 1000th dear zgator!
Happy 1000th to you!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't mention anything at all in that post about being admitted to the exclusive Hatrack reptiles club...
Hmmmm.... if I didn't know better I would say that you don't really consider that one of the defining moments of your life...

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad's not a teacher, but he went to the exact same travel agent yours did.

Happy 1000 and zgator family!
Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Jacare, I was only mentioning moments of my life that those here at Hatrack might not have been aware of. Everyone here knows that was a special moment for me. What's that phrase I'm looking for ... Oh yeah, I giggled like a little girl.
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great post, zgator! Congrats on...well, everything! Especially the coming baby.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
z- you should have been a politician.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz.

Congratz on 1000 posts.
Congratz on Daddy hood soon. Keep us posted.
Congratz on what sounds like a wondeful life so far.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm looking forward to hearing about zlittlegator when the time comes!

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You are the man, z.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny...no challenges? Some people would have considered the scary transition to college a challenge, or the time you waited for a long-term relationship to pan out a challenge, or 40 states in a car even, haha. I guess you were so busy being overwhelmingly happy that you didn't notice.

Ditto on all the congrats, and thanks for telling us something about you. Great post.

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, z! Congratulations on...well, everything.

I love finding out more about Hatrackers. Especially ones I've met.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post zgator! I see you sitting in that car making strange faces .

Congratulations on the 1000!

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I always feel kinda stupid when I have nothing else to say to a post like this other than

But anyways:

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post! And it was so happy. That's great. It just shows the positive way you see life. Congrats on the baby on the way! Oh, and that was so cute the way you proposed to your wife.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 1000th Post zgator! very cool
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

BUMP

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Zgator,

I was waiting until I had time to read your post and really savor it. In the short time I've known you, I've learned that you have a very strong character, whether you feel like you've been tested or not.

I really liked your observation about working with FDOT. I think it applies to almost all government. <bangs head on wall> Yep, it applies.

Mrs Gator is a wonderful person too, and you are both lucky to have found each other. I think the littlezgator will be a very lucky kid.

And so, I'd just like to say that it is indeed a pleasure to get to know you more and I hope you'll keep us posted on the real challenges to your character when they come. Like when your kid becomes a teenager.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.