FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » 3001: A Jon Boy Odyssey (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 3001: A Jon Boy Odyssey
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first off, I have to say that this didn't happen as planned. I was thinking it would be cool if my 3000th post coincided with my wedding day. Then I realized that there was no way I could control my post-whoring tendencies and hold off until then. Then I also realized, what the heck would I be doing hanging out on Hatrack on my wedding day?

So here we are. I have 3001 posts (just with the username Jon Boy—I'm really too lazy to count all the others and add them up like Pat did), and it's my 22nd birthday (as of 12:09 a.m. Mountain Standard Time). Hooray for me! *dons birthday hat*

I look over my Hatrack history with slight bewilderment. I never thought I'd be posting this much, and I never thought I'd actually be anybody. But I've been told that I'm funny, and the illustrious T_Smith even said recently that he knew way back in December that I'd be bigger than sliced bread. It's still rather odd to think of myself like that, because I'm so used to being that guy who never really fit in except with a few very close friends. But it makes me appreciate Hatrack that much more because I know that there are people here who care about me. I really feel like I belong here, and I feel like I've made some really good friendships with some really good people. I'm not going to bother to make a list of people I'd like to thank for being good to me—you probably already know who you are, and if you don't, I'm sure I'll get around to thanking you eventually.

I decided that I wasn't going to do another life story thingy, especially since I don't think my life story is terribly interesting. And yet, even as I sit here writing my post, I don't really know what I'm writing about. I guess I'm just writing about how much I love Hatrack. You are a very special community, and you are very special people. It's been especially great to see how people have reacted to the news that Diosmel Duda (aka Ruth) and I are engaged. Of course there were people saying, "Whoa, that's so fast!" but there has been an overwhelming show of support. It's good to know that so many of you have so much faith in us. It's very reassuring. This is by far the biggest decision I've ever made, and I know that it's also the best decision I've ever made.

Ruth, you may not get a chance to read this since you're going out of town, but I'm going to say it anyway. You are the best friend I have ever had. You make me whole. You are a strength to me when I am weak, and you motivate me to be a better man. Sometimes I feel like you deserve far more than I can ever give, so I will compensate by spending eternity giving you everything I have to give. I love you more than I have the words to say, but I know that you feel the same way, so I guess it makes it all right.

Once again, I'd like to give a gigantic thanks to the Cards for being the vehicle (however indirect) that brought me and my future wife together. And thanks to all of Hatrack for being the incredible people that you are. It's been a great 3001 posts, and I know that this odyssey is far from over.

But if anyone wants to hear my life story or just ask me stupid questions, go right ahead. I'll do my best to make the story entertaining, or at least give you a stupid answer to your question.

[ July 10, 2003, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo!

Rock on, Jon Boy! [Big Grin] As your sometimes partner in crime, I look forward to 3001 more... And then some!

(((((((((((((((((((Jon Boy))))))))))))))))))

All the best to you and Ruth! [Smile]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, great post. I particularly liked
quote:
You are the best friend I have ever had. You make me whole. You are a strength to me when I am weak, and you motivate me to be a better man. Sometimes I feel like you deserve far more than I can ever give, so I will compensate by spending eternity giving you everything I have to give.
:grabs for a tissue:

You two are really lucky to have each other. I wish you both all the best. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ethics, I didn't have the chance to say thanks for your comment in my defense on Thor's now-deleted thread. It really made my day, mate. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Jon Boy! I, too, feel like this place is a sort of home. It's great to know people like you and Diosmel Duda are here! I'm just so happy for you both!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, mate [Smile]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy,

I have a very deep and personal question to ask you. I should have asked it sooner, but... well... I've gotten really itchy about it. Man, this is taking a lot out of me to get this and Im really sorry if I offend you, or anyone, and I hope no one goes around thinking me a troll for asking for such a thing from you. But I know you are a good guy and will answer in your own way, even if its to ignore me. It would just mean a lot to me if you answered me this:

Can I have your address again? I lost it in Hotmail. [Wink]

[Razz]

Jon, you really are a good guy and I admire you. You may look up to Pat, but I look up to you, just like the Hatracks Little Brother persona you've helped give me. Good luck Jon and Ruth! Oh, and I believe your birthday is really soon, correct?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*pointedly ignores T_Smith*

*points to second paragraph of first post*

[Razz]

I'll email you my address again.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

::scratches head::

Oh well then, Happy Birthday!!!!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, You make your evil master Patrick the Great proud.

[Mad]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday! This, my 400th post, is my gift to you.

(And just because it had to be said)

Goodnight Jon Boy...

[ July 10, 2003, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, happy birthday!

<raises glass of Dom>

what a great day it is, too!

Congrats on your forthcoming wedding as well, sir! My best to you both...

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, kid. You share it with my husband.

When you say telling your life story, how different would that be from what's on your website? (look in his profile, people [Wink] )

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Jon Boy!!!

I'll let your lovely fiancee handle the spanking. [Razz]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Jon Boy.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Felicitations to Jon Boy, and our condolences to Diosmel Duda [Wink]

And Odyssey with Jon Boy is more like O Brother, Where Art Thou? than the work of Homer [Wink]

Joking aside, congratulations, Jon Boy [Smile] I'm glad you've found such happiness via Hatrack.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! and many happy returns! [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BebeChouette
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for BebeChouette   Email BebeChouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Jon Boy.

You are for me a fun part of Hatrack.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on both counts, Jon!

And kudos to Jon's handler as well.

You've been great to have around the board, i.e. you are one of the few who directly reply to my posts and that always makes my day. [Smile]

At some point, I will come to a Utah gathering and give you a formal high five.

Here's to post 6002!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Great post afr! [Razz]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

zan, who are you talking to?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
<----- day is made

Why thank you, Zan! Was it my obscure reference to a science fiction story whose title and author have long escaped me?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days we'll let you drop the 'boy,' but until then...

Gives Jon Boy a dutch rub, err, I mean an indian burn, err, I mean... what's the pc term for it these days?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Jon Boy!

[Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]

Congrats!

[Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Day Jon Boy!

Ruth- You need to print this out so you can remind him later in life when those bumps in the road find you both. They'll find you, be assured, but you'll make it through them. I wish you both all the best that life has to offer!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 3000th birthday, Jon Boy!

I'm so proud of you, I made you a cake... or, um, jello mold, as the case may be.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

celia, your husband must be a pretty cool guy. [Cool]

Hah hah, Rakeesh. [Razz] (Actually, that was pretty darn funny. I burst out laughing when I read that.)

afr, we definitely need to have another Utah gathering one of these days (preferably after Ruth gets back [which, sadly, is almost four weeks away]).

T, did you get my email? My Hotmail account's been acting up, so you might not have gotten it yet. If you haven't, I'll send it from a different account.

Thanks again to everyone. [Smile]

[ July 11, 2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

All I want is a wedding invitation... I mean, it's not like I could go but I would like to be able to tell my friends I was invited to a Mormon wedding in Salt Lake City! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Fast? What was fast about this engagement? You all were slow compared to a couple I knew in southern California. They met at a Young Adult dance on a Friday night. By Sunday, they were engaged. A month later they were married in the temple. Now, that's fast.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I got the address, Jon, thanks. [Smile]
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!

Muchos congratulations to you and Ruth! *cheers*

I love Hatrack too. [Smile]

Jon Boy, you probably don't really know me, but I was a lurker for a while before posting anything, and I've always thought you and Ruth were very cool, kind people. Glad you feel at home here!

Congratulations, again! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
You all were slow compared to a couple I knew in southern California. They met at a Young Adult dance on a Friday night. By Sunday, they were engaged. A month later they were married in the temple.
O_o
Good grief! How do you even plan anything in a month? How do you get invitations made and mailed fast enough? I don't think three months is too short a time to plan everything, but one month is just nuts.

zgator
Member # 3833

Jon Boy, I still can't believe you two are doing it in 3 months. My wife was pulling her hair out with 6 months to plan. Did Ruth have to pick out her wedding dress the day after you got engaged to make sure it was ready in time?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

She got the wedding dress a week or two before we were officially engaged. We've already got the cake, flowers, and decorations taken care of. We just got the invitations back from the printers, and now I just need to address the last few envelopes, put them together, and mail them out. We just picked a photographer yesterday. I'm sure there's probably still stuff to be done, but it's probably all little stuff that I don't have to worry about. These last six weeks should actually be relatively smooth sailing.

[ July 11, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Invitiations...ugh. We had fancy-shmancy invitations, ones that have certain ways everything faces as you put it in, very much like a puzzle.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, um, you're not inviting people until four weeks before the wedding?

In all seriousness, have you already told everyone who lives a good distance away? They might need more time to plan that kind of trip.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I was under the distinct impression that invitations should be mailed out four to six weeks before a wedding. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) As of tomorrow, there are six weeks left. Yes, we're pushing it a little, but everybody has already heard about the wedding, so everyone who's coming has had time to plan.
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
We had fancy-shmancy invitations, ones that have certain ways everything faces as you put it in, very much like a puzzle.
I am embarrassed to say that when we get wedding invitations, I can now tell whether they have been put together correctly or not.

Jon Boy, you two sound like you've got it together, but there's one thing you forgot.

When's the bachelor party?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Zan, it's already taken care of, whether he knows about it or not.

Now the question is: was I serious about that or not?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*is worried*
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Okay, so it appears that some people have complained that my web site is terribly out of date and that half the links don't work. This is true. Obviously, my priorities have changed a little in the past few months. But now I've got a little free time on my hands, so I'll be working on my web site. If you have any suggestions for Jon Boy's World, let me know. I'll let you know when it's updated.

[ July 11, 2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

celia60
Member # 2039

obviously it should have a large section devoted to me.

obviously.

Euterpe~
Member # 2235

- posted      Profile for Euterpe~   Email Euterpe~         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure none of you know me, but I just wanted say something to Jonathan. I was lurking around Hatrack today when I remembered that my cousin told me that her fiance called himself Jonboy on Hatrack. So, being the eager little girl that I am, I did a search on you (having already visited your homepage). I should warn you: I called Ruth when I read what you wrote here. (Their phone was off - when is it not - but I'm sure they'll turn it on. Eventually.)

You two will be such a wonderful couple. I'm now becoming just a bit tongue-tied (what do you say to the fiance of your sister of the heart?), and I'm scared that you'll think I'm as, well, interesting, as Anastasia, but I just wanted to say that I was touched. I can only hope that I will one day meet someone as perfect for me as you surely are for Ruth.

I look forward to finally meeting you and your family in August. I know I won't really get to know you until Christmas or next summer, what with the school year being pretty much spoken for and weddings being so stressful, but I look forward to it anyways.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hi. [Smile] So which cousin are you? I'm trying to remember names and who lives where. Are you the famous Ryan that I've heard so much about? If so, I look forward to meeting you. And even if you're not Ryan, I still look forward to meeting you because it sounds like Ruth's got some really cool relatives.

[ July 11, 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Euterpe~
Member # 2235

- posted      Profile for Euterpe~   Email Euterpe~         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...I'm the infamous Ryan of Albuquerque. How'd you guess?

On a side note, after posting I checked how many posts you, Jon Boy, had made. It was something like 3046. Sheesh. All in 24 hours or so. I had been on Hatrack Young Writers since eighth grade, and I don't even think I breached 50. Probably because I boycott Hatrack during the school year. So sad, because I think I could have a lot more fun on Hatrack.

Did Ruth tell you how to say hiccup in German? It's almost joke-worthy. To me, anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, your profile says you live in Albuquerque, and I remember she said that you live there. I put that together with "sister of the heart" and came up with you.

Yeah, Ruth told me about the German word for "hiccup" just the other day. One of my favorite foreign words is the Scottish Gaelic word for toilet, taigh-beaga; it literally means "little house."

[ July 12, 2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good grief! How do you even plan anything in a month?
I don't know how they did it - she wasn't a close enough friend that I was in on the planning drama. However, I do know that they did pull it off. Personally, I thought (at the time and still think) that its an awfully short time to pull off anything, much less something as complicated as a wedding and reception. Of course, I think one should know someone a little longer than a weekend before proposing marriage to them - or accepting the proposal. Just my opinion.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Cool] Jon Boy [Cool] [Big Grin]

So long as it doesn't take you away from Hatrack, I fully approve of your (future) marriage. [Wink] [Razz]

Seriously, I know you'll have a wonderful life, if only because that's the way you'll make it. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Yer not so special!

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.