FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Eighteen and 2000 posts (long and dull)

Author Topic: Eighteen and 2000 posts (long and dull)
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I turned 18. It means little except that I’ll probably have to get a liquor license for work, and that I can vote (which is definitely important). My birthday present from my parents was a silent retreat, I’ll be going on for three days of spring break (YEA!). When I was working on my 2000th post, I didn’t know what to write-all my life, I have been sheltered and been sure of help from my parents if I ever asked. Not much of my life is worth writing about or reading. So I decided instead of writing about the experiences that formed me to write about the people, since they were so much more important. If you don’t feel like reading something dull about people you don’t know, don’t bother reading this.

My mother, who has always loved us and helped us, she guided me through all the troubles in school, and helped me to have confidence in myself, and not to give in and act like someone I wasn’t. She’s always there to give advice, and taught me about what it is to do the right thing. She taught me to love books before I could even read, and patiently put up with my reluctance to learn to read and lack of confidence in my own reading abilities until I finally broke through, and she started me reading LotR, which was one of the only things that gave me enough strength not to give in at school, gave me enough strength to not start doubting myself and who I was. Without LotR, and without my parents, I would never have survived elementary school being myself until KC came. Mom, along with Dad, raised me to believe in God, a belief which has been a major part of my life.

My father, who has always been there with love and support, who rocked us on his lap in mornings, while we listened to music, who often would come into our room and play and sing lullabies to us, and on those nights, I would go to sleep easier and happier, knowing he was there. He’s always believed in me, and encouraged me to do the things I love, and to go further with them than I would ever dare go on my own. He, without making things seem easier than they are, if I express an interest in something to do with my life will look up how I can do it, and tell me how difficult it would be, then say that if it is what I want, to do it, and go through the difficulties to achieve my goal. He showed me how to stand up for what is right without anger or fear, without yelling, or insulting, but how to simply stand and say “this is what is right, and I will do it” calmly. He gave me strength and confidence in myself, and filled my life with music, so it surrounds me wherever I go.

My godmother, who I can say anything to, who always has had confidence in me, who has brought me to expand my craft skills, to push and test and learn new things, and do things I would, who made me love doing these things, and learning new ones, because I knew that they would be presents for her, and every bit of work I put into them would be worthwhile when I saw her face as she opened them, and heard her say “oh, Anna!” Whenever I am troubled about something, I know I can go to her, and she will make it come clear, and her sponsoring me before I decided not to get confirmed was a major source of inspiration. She’s one of the most amazing people I’ve ever met, who gives all of her time and effort to helping everyone around her, and who brightens a room just by being in it. When I am unsure of what to do, I can think of what she would do, and act, and be confident that it is right. Our relationship is something very special, I don’t even know how to describe it, except to say how very much I love her, and how much I know I am loved by her.

My aunt, for teaching me how to crochet, for always loving us, and over protecting us, which even when annoying is nice, because we know she cares. It is wonderful to spend time with her, just talking, or crocheting together, and we always know that she’s there for us.

Sticker Goddess, who is the most amazing sister anyone could ever have. She’s funny, and fun to be around, and is more like a close friend than a sister. We always talk together, and share the same friends and books. And it was she who ordered me to read EG, and told me about this forum.

KC, who is my best friend. She was my friend when I was alone. She brought me to love jewelry-making, and to read new authors, she pushed me into reaching out and trying new things when I would have stopped and hidden. When school was horrible, it never mattered, because after school, I knew she’d be there. When she moved, it was like the end of the world, I was so afraid our friendship would die out, but she was so sure of it that I could never stop trusting it. It was because of her moving that I first talked to God and it was a prayer for her that was the first time I could see God answering.

My extended family, my grandparents, my cousins, my uncles and aunts, especially on my fathers side, who always were so much fun to be around, and with whom I always knew I belonged, and that I was wanted.

tIM, who was the first friend I made after KC left. She’s such a wonderful person to know, brilliant and talented, but never showing off because of it. She’s a great friend, and it’s been so much fun knowing her, and teasing her, sharing jokes no one else would understand, and, best of all, watching as she starts to tease back.

Jane, who’s been my partner in going to see FotR and TTT over and over, and with whom I conspire to do such odd things as put up signs during class elections saying “vote Peter Wiggin Senior Class Hegemon” and others saying “vote Achilles Senior Class Hegemon” and who helped make shirts for us all to wear saying those things. We often come up with odd plots like that, and they’re a lot of fun to implement

Lacey, who I started being friends with after a debate in which I annoyed her extensively by insisting there were fishies in nuclear reactors, and she stopped me in the halls afterward to tell me how annoying I’d been. Somehow, from there, we started being friends. We share books, and make jewelry together, and in whatever classes we have together, we tease the teachers and each other and enjoy ourselves a lot.

My philosophy and logic teacher, who with his wonderful teaching and enthusiastic manner introduced me to the wonders of philosophy, and made me love it. It’s because of his teaching that I know I want to major in philosophy, and because of his teaching that I started reading philosophy (a thing which before his class, I’d never have thought I’d enjoy)

The kids I baby-sit for. They’re such wonderful children, and it’s incredible to know them. It’s because of them that I know I want children, and their enthusiasm and joy for life is amazing. I would do anything to keep them safe, and kill anyone who threatened them...

Human, who’s a wonderful friend-I’m glad we started that blue-sword-like fight in the chatroom that day-it’s so great knowing you, and being friends. Thanks

And then there are all you people on Hatrack. There’s so much I learn from y'all every day, on every subject. I never quite belong anywhere, but here, it feels close to belonging. And thank y’all so much, for posting, for talking, for being such wonderful people.

Oh, and just an odd thing to add, since I feel like ending with an odd tidbit-places with no trees make me nervous

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday and 2000th Post Toretha!
Thanks, I like it.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday and congrats.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Boithday!!

Congrats on 2000th!

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday and congrats!!!!!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Toretha!
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
He, I read it all and it is a wonderful post.

BTW, do you still want to become a lawyer? I hope so, because I think you would make a very good one.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!!!

It's okay to be nervous about the places without trees...but to me they feel like home.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

yes, ginette, I still do want to be, and thanks, I hope I do make a good one-though I'm making plans for a side business of jewelry, so I'll be able to afford being the sort of lawyer I want to be.

and BTW-does anyone in here know how to wrap a sari of the variety that doesn't have a skirt underneath? cause I just got a really nice one, but I can't wrap it without a skirt, and it's not the type to have a skirt!

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
*blushes*

I'm mentioned! I think I'm going to faint...

Oh, and Toretha? Happy B-day, and happy 2000th!

[This message has been edited by Human (edited January 25, 2003).]

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceaxe
Member # 4513

- posted      Profile for iceaxe   Email iceaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel old and young at the same time.

post 38
age 34

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!!

Happy 2000th Post. (2000 posts and 1/2 my age. I feel old and useless today.)

I love the idea about "Vote Achilles School Hegemon" Half of the teachers will think you have a classic Greek hero in mind, and give you credit for that. In reality, you want to take over the world.

Sari help. My wife has a couple of those. She also has more computer addictions than I care to go into so she hasn't added Hatrack to it. She'd love to help though. If you want help with it, send her an e-mail to Cats_meow66@yahoo.com. She has a webcam and can show you how if you have Yahoo IM.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Toretha!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Happy 2000 posts, and congratulations on getting them to line up on the same day.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!

You know I think you're cool, right?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday and happy 2000th! I agree with Olivet - you're very cool.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nex
Member # 4327

- posted      Profile for Nex   Email Nex         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrts on 2000th Post
and Happy Birthday!!!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the process of responding to this when Hatrack went down...

Happy Birthday and Congratulations!
That was a beautiful post!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
happidy belated birthyday!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
...and another newbie beats me to 2000

Happy birthday!

What kind of law do you want to go into?

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

thanks yall.

Dan, I'm emailing her right now, and thanks

Ophelia, I don't know yet. I'm going to see what sorts of law I'll enjoy most in law school, and in which types I can do the most good, then specialize in that. My main problem will be that since the consequences in court will be real, not like in a debate, I will not do a case I believe is wrong-so I expect to get fired a lot, and I plan to do a lot of work for people who deserve but can't afford a lawyer. thus-jewelry to support myself in between.

aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha, you rock! Congratulations on reaching 18 and 2k!
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
See? I told you she'd become a good one.

*pats self on shoulder

Toretha, that's the way to win all your cases and then you'll become famous and they'll BEG you to do their cases and you'll never have to worry about jobs.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha, congratulations and happy (belated) birthday! I'm sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner (imagine, having to do work at work...).

I loved your post - it made me so happy!

Also, once you get that jewelry business started, let us all know. I know I'll buy stuff, at least!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Toretha, and congratulations on your 2000th post!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
::bump::
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. How did this get missed? [Confused]

Thanks Icarus. And happy way-belated b-day and 2000th post Toretha!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Icky! You found it!

Anna, you rock! You're one of my favorite people in the universe! But then you know this. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday... [Party]

[ September 04, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A very belated happy 18th and 2000th.

And an early happy 19th and 3000th -- both coming relatively soon. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a *huge* thing, but I'm the one who found the thread. Icarus just bumped it. Well, and suggested looking for it. Fine, give him the credit -- what do I need it for?

Thanks for sharing this, Toretha, and I'm sorry I missed it the first time through. You belong.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Happy WAAAAAAY belated B-Day, Toretha!

That was an truly cool post.

And places without trees make me nervous, too. I'm from Hawaii. [Wink]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Pop, for finding it! [Smile] I wanted to read it again because I know Anna so much better now. Doesn't it just make you feel happy to know that Anna will be in charge of the world someday? It'll be in great hands!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

[Blushing]

anne kate, I love you too.

*is shocked that this got bumped*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.