FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » My 2K, and the 2nd anniversary of the unthinkable.

Author Topic: My 2K, and the 2nd anniversary of the unthinkable.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid that my landmark post will not be very long. I simply don’t have that much I want to say about myself right now. Those of you who have been around for a long time, know how I think. How I think, is who I am. My history has no compelling secrets. I have searched through it many times to find clues to how I became who I am, but I am left with no answers.

I am the second of seven children, part of what has always been a completely functional family. My father was a University professor and my mother was and English teacher. They are both now retired and give there time as volunteers. They are both moderate republicans, I am an anarchist. I am the most recent in a long line of educators. All of my siblings are bright an beautiful. We have all graduated from college as have all of our spouses. Several of us have graduate degrees. When we get together, we all talk at the same time, which drives our spouses crazy. I am married to my best friend. We work together and play together. Most of the time, our hearts beat as one. There are a few sorrows in my life, most notably, my husband and I have been unable to have children. Despite that, my life is full. Perhaps it is because of this, I am not really sure, that I care so much for all the children of the world and my students.

Today, I am hollow inside (like a chocolate rabbit). I have been remembering 9/11 and my memories have left me hollow. Two years ago my greatest fear was not that there might be more attacks, or for my brother who lives in New York, or for our safety as a people. My greatest fear was that we, the American people, would react brutally out of anger for revenge. My greatest fear was that our suffering would lead only to rage and not to increase our empathy for all those in the world who have lived for years with the same fear we felt two felt two years ago today. My greatest fear was that we would allow our suffering to change us in ways I could never accept. Today as I remember my fears of that day and reflect on the events of the past two years I am grieved that my fears were not unfounded. I have seen the country that I love turn increasing away from commitment to justice and compassion and progressively toward arrogance, selfishness and vindictiveness. I feel betrayed by our leaders and disappointed by my fellow Americans and I can no longer see a way towards redemption. My soul was once filled with the sweetness of hope, but now I am simply hollow.

[ September 11, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

((the bunny))

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I've done this yet, but if I haven't, it's not for lack of desire.

Rabbit, I'm perilously close to proposing.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
We can do it, Rabbit. One person at a time. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I just think about the civil rights movement every time I'm tempted to lose faith. Love and civilization beat hate and paranoia in the long run every single time. It's not even a matter of if, just of when. We have the victory, sister!

And if you don't realize it already, let me also say here in your landmark post that I admire you greatly and want to be you when I grow up.

<<<<rabbit>>>>

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the exact Gahndi quote, but it was something very similar to that. Even if sometimes it feels like there is no hope, the right side has always won.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ September 12, 2003, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Rabbit, this made me cry.

quote:
There are a few sorrows in my life, most notably, my husband and I have been unable to have children. Despite that, my life is full. Perhaps it is because of this, I am not really sure, that I care so much for all the children of the world and my students.

Me too, dear, me too.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give you a hug but:

"it can leap about... it has huge, sharp... look at the bones!"
[/Tim]

thanks Rabbit, I haven't seen that much of you and it's good to know a little more.

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad there's a rabbit around these parts, hollow or not.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. A good nights sleep and a long walk seem to have restored my hope. I'm back to being a chocolate truffle filled rabbit again.

Anne Kate, I don't ever plan to grow up, but if by some chance I do, I want to by just like you.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
"Life is a narrow vale between the cold and barren peaks of two eternities. We strive in vain to look beyond the heights. We cry aloud and the only answer is the echo of our wailing cry. From the voiceless lips of the unreplying dead there comes no word. But in the night of Death Hope sees a star and listening Love can hear the rustling of a wing."
-Robert Green Ingersoll

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate quotation, as I'm not sure I completely understand its meaning. But for some reason when I'm feeling hopeless I find it comforting.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I'm perilously close to proposing.
I'm terrribly sorry but I only entertain proposals from people with member numbers under 1000.

[ September 12, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Willy Shmily Tiger
Member # 5647

- posted      Profile for Willy Shmily Tiger   Email Willy Shmily Tiger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well my normal login is 433. So you'll marry me?

[Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is in the 500's. But I am still way ahead in the line for marrying Rabbit, Hobbes. I was flirting outrageously with Rabbit LONG before any of you other bozos came along and started.

Rabbit, don't listen to them. You know I am the only lizard for you. [Smile]

[ September 12, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rabbit is a Certified Hatrack Treasure.

I miss the Ask Dr. Rabbit thread. That was brilliant. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry...
Don't lose hope, half the time it only exists because we believe it does.
Great landmark
I really want to do one.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willy Shmily Tiger
Member # 5647

- posted      Profile for Willy Shmily Tiger   Email Willy Shmily Tiger         Edit/Delete Post 
But Rabbit's doing it by member number, and mine's lower than yours, by over 100. Besides which I'm single. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit,
If you are feeling hollow, that just means there is more room to be filled up.

Have hope. I always think of our humanity as moving along a spiral path. It seems like we are moving backwards, but at the same time, we are moving up.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I never said I was doing it by member. I merely said I wouldn't even entertain proposals from people with member numbers under 1000. It is a necessary but not sufficient condition. My husband is the chief reviewer of all proposals. If you are serious (and have a low enough member number), I will pass your proposals along to him and allow him for critical review.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
My resume for the husband:

My member number is in the 500's.

I am fascinated by Rabbit's amazing brain.

I have very little brain of my own beyond my hindbrain, being a lizard and all, but my fight or flight reflexes are fabulously well honed by millions of years of trial and error selective breeding. We lizards being pretty old, species wise, and pretty good at surviving.

I thought 'Ask Dr. Rabbit' was one of the most brilliant and funniest threads ever posted here.

I have faced bad guys toting guns, bad guys with knives, bad guys with baseball bats, and bad guys just using their fists, and I am still here and mostly in one piece. This is just to show that my brag about lizard survival is well justified.

I like chocolate rabbits.

I am part owner of a successful company.

I have almost no educational credentials, and so I need to bring some 'into the family' so to speak. Rabbit's are excellent.

I keep my battle axe very sharp, in case there are those who do not treat Rabbit with the same high regard that I do, so she would be very safe.

I once at a moth.

I drive a convertable.

Ummm... I wear jeans more often than you should in a business office.

Hmmm...

Not much else.

Will that do?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I once at a moth.
How can that not clinch the deal?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Pff. Under 1,000? I'm the next generation, sweetcheeks! That's right, as number 1698, I'm old enough to be snooty about art and politics, but not as young and naive as the 2000's or 3000's.

I'm equipped with the cynicism of age and the ignorance of youth. How could you refuse?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willy Shmily Tiger
Member # 5647

Slash wins.

Hobbes [Smile]

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((Rabbit))))))

that was one of the best landmark posts. thank you.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.