FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » 7000: My shadow and I are friends again. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 7000: My shadow and I are friends again.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The Last Mountain Run:

Restless and determined, I decided to run up another mountain. Have to get rid of the energy, I speed north to Mount Major, a little mountain with a 2.5 mile trail and 1000 ft of elevation gain. I arrive and the parking lot is filled with others with the same idea—without the running bit. Their hike will be a leisurely stroll up a little mountain, while my hike will be a frenetic rush to the top.

In fifteen minutes, I’m nearly at the top. I get my first views of Lake Winnipesaukee below, the lake where I grew up. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I decide to drive to my father’s home when I’ve finished my jaunt up the mountain. I see the islands where I sailed my little Sunfish in the choppy bays. Fighting the wind and water, dodging the speedboats, thrown everywhere, the water equivalent to my battle with my moods. A battle the moods are winning as I continue my ascent. Among some trees crowded together like people waiting for a train, I stop while a descending hiker, obviously an old pro, checks in with me. He sees my red, sweaty face and asks if I’m okay.

Sure, I’m fine. I usually hike in the White Mountains.

You’re flying up the mountain.

My body doesn’t know a slow speed. This is my usual pace.

When did you leave the trailhead?

Fifteen minutes ago.

Another five or ten minutes and you’ll be at the top at your pace.

Thanks.

Have a good day.

He continues down the trail and I continue up. Another five minutes and I start to realize I’m nearly to the top. I look back from where I was and don’t quite register the steepness of the trail. I begin the scramble to the summit cone, climbing up the steep rocks with abandon, ignoring the safer established routes because they’re just plain boring.

A tree mimics how I feel: alone and battered, I don’t want to go back down the mountain. I’d rather stay in the cool wind on the top of the hill, watching everything from the safe spot where no one can reach me. But in reality, things are reaching out to the lonely tree. Trapped in the fight, the tree doesn’t see it. I don’t see my help. The tall trees have friends supporting them—I do as well, so I run up mountains, away from them.

The trail continues up. And twenty-five minutes from when I left the parking lot, I reach the summit. Only the sky above me. I can’t run any further, I’m trapped at the top, fighting against going down. It’s all crooked and nothing makes any sense anymore. My thoughts don’t connect, they’re zooming out of my head in every direction.

But the sun is setting, too strong, I can’t make it stop. I climb off the summit and return to my life below.

You can’t run away from your own shadow.

You can’t run away from those that care about you. The most helping and useful are more stubborn than you are. When you stop caring and start running, they chase you down and tackle you with words and reason until you are well.

I thank my friends.

I thank Hatrack.

I want to give a gift in return. This is my gift, for whomever is willing to take up on it. My gallery is open to you. Pick out your favorite photo, email me with your choice and address, and I will sent you an 8x10 enlargement.

This is my thanks.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, that is so cool!

I have truly enjoyed having you here. I look forward to seeing you at Wenchcon. I will save you the postage and let you hand deliver my enlargement [Smile]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, mack!

Congrats on 7000 too!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
mack,
Sometimes I feel very boring. I feel as if I have to live vicariously through my friends. All of the drama: none of the pain. Well, with you, some of the pain. I'm glad you are becoming a little more boring. [Smile] Qualifier alert! Hehe.
I love this post. It makes me happy. It makes me a little scared, too, that you had to live through it.
I love you, in that platonic *firm touch* way.
*grin*
PS--I want an 8x10 of 'summit goodness', the picture with your hand in it. It's shattering.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: jexx ]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, those are beautiful. I love your photos, and I have always loved your posts. Thanks for this landmark and for being here. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to those so far.

Just so you know, not JUST the gallery I showed in the story, but any of the photos at MadOwl.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, you don't have to send me one, but I want you to know how much I love your pictures. I've perused the whole album and your mountain shots are some of my favorites.

This one

This one

MMmmmmmm, gorgeous

And this one of Autumn in NH

Thank you for sharing them, you're really talented. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a lovely landmark, mack. [Smile] As always, I love your pictures -- and my computer has new wallpaper. [Big Grin]

Consider yourself hugged -- unless that makes you feel like *bite*ing. In which case, nevermind! *backs away quickly, smiles nervously*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I look forward to seeing you at Wenchcon. I will save you the postage and let you hand deliver my enlargement
Zev, you're a pretty horny guy when it comes to WenchCon, aren't you? First you propose a foursome with Becky, and now this?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

That was frenetic and beautiful. Reading your post was like listening to Flight of the Bumblebee. Great 7000th post!

Hmmm... just one photo, eh. This might get difficult.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the artistic pathos. Thank you for saying that. And being you.

Your photography is beautiful - particularly this Time Stills Despite Its Furious Rush Onward

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
What a great landmark... congrats on 7000!

Here's to a thousand more!

My computer has new wallpaper too! [Smile] ("sunset")

Gorgeous.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mack. Just wow. You're an amazing person and I feel honored to have met you and be given a look into your life.

Your photoraphy is amazing! After much deliberation, I think I like this one the best.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Love you, Jamie. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Lake Winnepesaukee! I've been there! My family had a cottage in NH that we went to every summer when I was little, and we would go swimming somewhere on Winnepesaukee where the water was so clear you could see the ripples in the sand. It's so exciting to hear about it and see pictures. Plus, I love the way you delivered your landmark, Mack. I'll email you with my favorite.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

jamie, you're the bestest.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
But your shadow can run away from you.. Just ask Pan.

~Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow....

That's all I got.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, I respect you. And I am wowed by your inventive, wonderful landmark. But the story and the pictures... It's too much. I thank you for giving it to us. (smiles) But I am too selfishly entranced by your pictures not to request one. Please forgive me for that.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Also wanted to give ya'll a heads up: I'm not charging for the photos. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I love ya Mack. You are awesome.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mack, welcome down from the mountain.

Your words and your photo's are wonderful.

Have you ever considered a photo-book? "Prose From My Shadow's Cry" by Mack.

I'd buy it for my coffee table.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What great photos. Thanks for the 7,000!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
Those photos are great, and for some reason made me think what cool sights Superman would see while doing all that flying around the world. (my mind makes some strange strides between subjects)

Congradulations on 7,000 posts

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

A photo book would require a publisher. [Wink]

Anyone else? I'm putting stuff together in the next couple days.

[Smile]

jexx
Member # 3450

First of all: what are you doing up this late? [Wink]

Second of all: no, I will not go on AIM, I am going to bed.

Third of all: why not find a publisher? *grin* I would definitely buy your book, as long as you signed it, "To jexx: your qualifiers are not TOO annoying. Love, mack"

*evil grin*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]

I'll do that if you find me a publisher. [Wink]

deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Friend,

I am a former genral in the Canadian Armed forces, eh, who has escaped the recent conflicts with two hundreds million dollars (Cdn) and twelve Skyhawk helicopters--I am at present sitting in one, the other eleven have been stored in Newfundland--the bombs are falling now. I need a secured bank account in a developed nation in which to deposit this money (and some safety-deposit boxes for the Skyhawks). If you will only--wjhat is that smoke coming out of the turret?--if you will, dear friend, only respond with your persoanl account number I will condider sharing 1% (Cdn) of this koney with you. That is.......200 dollars (Cdn), for only your secured bank account number (and the safety-deposit boxes)--is that oil pressure gauge correct?--then fix it you fool!, eh. I eagerly await your prompt response--Mayday!

Genral Lance "Contiki" Bay

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Confused]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, you're the coolest.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Mack,

I am still looking. This is hard, you know. There can be only one. Hmmmmm... not so inticing when you'd like more than one, but I am not greedy just indecisive at the moment. [Confused]

A suggestion. In my perusal of Cafepress, while making the Wenchcon T-shirt site, I noticed that they do create books. They ask you to upload a pdf of the document or work (very specific dimensions that are mentioned on the site) and also upload any cover graphics you would like. They have several options for binding. However, I am not sure how they would deal with photographs so that might require some more research.

Also, do a Google search for self-publishing sites. I'd buy your book.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

A few people mentioned to me that I should have a place on my site where you can pick out photos and sizes for purchase. Should I do this?

I'll look into the cafepress thing. Thanks for the heads-up [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

Hmmm. What I've got in my own house for my printing and enlarging is a top of the line photographic quality printer (it's great, the images come out as if I'd enlarged them at a lab) and I found a place that makes photographic printer paper that's the same brand/weight as I use in the darkroom. So here, I have the capability to make 4x6 and 8x10 prints.

Otherwise, I'd have to outsource. Cafepress could allow me to do posters, calendars, greeting cards and such.

Here's the list of stuff they do

Any ideas on what I should go with on that? Think it's worth it?

mackillian
Member # 586

...me thinking more...for books, there's a couple I could do right off. Dan's idea was great about running from my shadow and probably doing a outdoors one from all my hiking. The other, I STILL have to finish the carpetbagger book. It would be much more effective, I think, with more photos than text...like a photojournalistic take.

Hmmmmm.

mackillian
Member # 586

So, basically I'm just talking to myself. www.lulu.com has some pretty neat options and low costs. With the way my "regular" career is going, looks like I probably won't find a publisher of my own. [Wink] But I DO want to share my work with folks, it's better than sitting in a drawer or on my computer. With this site, I could allow people to buy copies of my book(s) on-demand.

How cool. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

That would be very cool.

Keep in mind that your costs per print may be considerably higher than cafepress' cost to you for the same prints. You might want to figure out how much it costs you per print using your equipment and supplies.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, they have those poster options.

I could use lulu for the books and cafepress for the rest.

You think?

(And turn on your AIM;))

rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds like a definite plan. [Smile]
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
mack,

Your photos always remind me how beautiful the world is. It makes me want to dust off my own camera and go out and capture some beauty of my own.

Thanks for the landmark.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post; I'm glad you're here!

[Smile]

Every time I happen by your site I see something powerful. Give me some time to pick one out and I might just take you up on that offer!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Will do [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

Okay, I sent out nine photo mailers today for folks.

Abby, Jen, Kara, Kira, Dan, Rivka, Jen, Adrian, and Kate, start looking for packages.

[Smile]

jexx
Member # 3450

Yay! I can't wait!

*waits*

larisse
Member # 2221

Darn it! I missed out. That'll teach me to be so damn indecisive. [Frown]
mackillian
Member # 586

[Roll Eyes]

That's the first wave, dear. You can still request. [Smile]

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have to admit that I'm fascinated by Depth of Field #2. THere's just something about all 3 of the students that amuses me. I'd love to have that one to hang above my desk.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
These are just amazing and stunning. Bravo! [Hat]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

sarahdipity, send me your address. [Wink]

mayday, I got yours. [Smile]

*waiting for larisse's*

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you sign all your pictures! We'll all have mack's signature pictures before she gets famous! We'll all be rich! [Wink]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.