FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Landmark post -- Glad to Know Me!

Author Topic: Landmark post -- Glad to Know Me!
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I told myself that if I hit 1,000 posts before May (my second hatrackiversary), I would post a landmark post. I conserved posts for a while (sorry everyone) out of Landmark Post Fear, but I finally gave in. This is what I wrote tonight out of sheer desperation:

I Know Who I Am

I have always known who I was.

From the beginning, my parents told me I was wonderful, funny and talented. And so I was. (When you are young and nurtured, you can never believe that your parents would lie) I was a happy kid who believed I could do anything I wanted to do. And so I could. I wrote country western songs, put on plays, sold handmade books out of my red wagon. I read books about Native Americans, and made pemmican in the oven. I read a book about herbs, and made shampoo. I read a book about archaeology, and excavated the backyard. I had a lot of ideas, and the energy to try them out.

Then puberty hit.

(DUN dun DUUUUUUUN!)

I was still loved, I still had ideas, but now I had hormones, and that messed things up for a bit. For a year I was very very hard to live with. Still, during this time, I knew exactly who I was. I was wonderful, funny, talented, and dead sexy. I read a book about sexuality, and knew that the largest human sexual organ was the brain. Since I already knew I had a good brain, the rest was easy. This was perhaps, not the best direction for my thoughts to go in. Luckily, my self-esteem was so high from a charmed childhood; I got into very little trouble with sex. I still made mistakes, but I protected myself (physically and emotionally). I had angst, I had hubris, I had all of the fancy words associated with teenagers; but my short attention span and generally happy mood made these spells bearable for my parents. Well, that’s what they say now, anyway. The whole episode is kind of a hormonally hazy time in my memory.

Time passes, and I know now that I am a writer. I have been told this since I was a child, selling books out of my wagon for a quarter, and so it must be true. I begin college with this thought firmly in mind: I will be a writer, I will live in NYC, and I will own cats. I will not get married, and I will not have children. I have no desire for this, never planned Barbie weddings, or babysat, or had any desire to mother. I nurture my friends, and my fictional persons, and that is enough for me.

And then I met That Man.

He changed who I thought I was. He shook me inside out.

I tried to deny the change, I told him we were Friends With Benefits, I introduced him as “My ex-boyfriend’s best friend” (another long and boring story). And on the night of his boss’s retirement party, I proposed to That Man.

I knew who I was then, and I know who I am now.

I am a writer.

I am a wife.

I am a mother.

And I can change my mind about it whenever I want to.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Great landmark jexx. Let us know what your mind is up to on a regular basis, okay?

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
yay for Jexx.

great post [Smile] you sound a lot like me!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I lub jen. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
:envies Jexx's childhood:

You've always struck me as a really great person. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us. (((Jexx)))

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Time passes, and I know now that I am a writer. I have been told this since I was a child, selling books out of my wagon for a quarter, and so it must be true.

That is so cute. [Wink]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on 1000, jexx!
[The Wave]
Looking forward to many thousand more! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
A truly inspiring landmark, jexx. Congrats!
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes ma'am. Get right on it......wha? Ok...... You don't, but do, but don't. I give up. [Smile]

Glad you are here. I always enjoy your posts. I plan on reading more of them.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
jexx,

are you sure? That last bit seemed a bit contrived, like the unquestioning resolve against questions you cited as the source of difficulties (minor, and well-handled, apparently) you encountered before.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
jexx, I too am glad to know you !

[Smile]

Edit: I just remembered you're the one "responsible" for the rebirth of the hug thread ! [Kiss]

[ April 05, 2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

fallow--

a) I wrote this rather late at night, and mostly to get it out of the way

b) contrived? oh, nice. I'll remember that. [Evil]

c) the whole point in the last ('contrived') sentiment was, that it was my prerogative to change my mind about who I am. As long as I know who I am changing myself into.

(a side note: even though I always know who I am, I don't always *like* who I am, hence the changeability)

And everyone: thank you for your kind words. Have to go to work now, but I'll respond personally later.

((lubs Hatrack))

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that with us Jexx. It's all about choosing one's own course in life. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Jexx, you are a Dragon. I can only hope my daughter turns out like you! [Hat]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Damn skippy! Congrats on 1000.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think you were a guy, until I got to
quote:
And then I met That Man.
[Angst]

Glad that post cleared that up, though. [Wink]
Happy 1000th!
(((((jexx)))))

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
very cool stuff [Smile] congrats!
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
jexx, you are extremely cool. [Cool] Thank you for sharing this with us.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Good landmark, jexx.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Yay! I got a 'right on'!

And lots of compliments!

It's a good Monday.

And now I have *bumped*.

*self-serving grin*

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz Jexx.

I married my ex-girlfriends best friend. That's a long story too.

The secret between a successful life and a ruined one may be in your landmark. You always know who you are, but admit never being sure of who you will be. I've known people who were positive of who they would be, and worked so hard to be that person, that they never got a chance to enjoy being who they are.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know you, too. [Smile]

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Jexx,

I was just ribbing. Still... I must say... if not contrived, then maybe a little too tidy to resonate with the truth.

I've found that the more frequently you change yourself the easier it is to know yourself. Or, to put it another way, if you change fast enough, you don't really have to know yourself at all. Honeymoon in perpetuity. Self-love in the fast lane. Sorta side-step the issue, altogether.

<- fallow's spontaneous rough-draft of a landfill post <-self-labeling to fit within the strictures of interpretability

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AMEN, SISTER!

Thanks for sharing - I love it! I love all the wild and crazy and exploratory things you did and that you were allowed to do and given the freedom to do and that you still do! Keep being you! Forever! We like it that way!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you seem flexible, and that is a good trait to have.
I liked your post because to me it DIDN'T seem contrived, it just seemed to be very accepting of yourself. You didn't go into a lot of detail, particularily about your "troubles" in the teen years, but that is your perogitive.

You did seem very happy and content with your life even though it waas far from what you had imagined. Good for you.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*offers kwea a pretzel*

Good if they aren't too stale.

fallow

Kwea
Member # 2199

:::eats pretzle::

Thanks!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

OMG!

You bit off my finger?!

*howls in pain*

*does finger-joint disappearing trick*

fallow

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
jexx-
I've always enjoyed the rhythm of your words as well as the content. Best wishes in gaining all your goals.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, it did seem a bit stale.....but I was just being polite......

[ROFL]

Kwea

fallow
Member # 6268

*waits with mustard-dispenser ready to sqeeze*

"Right. What was with all that rolling about on the sidewalk? If you needed the mustard, it was right here!"

*drops dog and points at condiment dispensing hand*

fallow

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.