FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » He said, she said; a joint landmark (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: He said, she said; a joint landmark
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot I was going to hassle you about "joint". What is this, Alaska, Idaho, or California with a Doctor's prescriptions?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holy crap. I think my husband has a secret wife in Utah.
Well, I'll keep an eye out for him. [Wink]

quote:
post it! This we have GOT to see!
Well, AFAIK, this photo doesn't exist in electronic format, and I'm fine with that. [Razz]

quote:
Wonderful landmark. I get the sense that the style of this thread echoes your relationship: "Marriage is one long conversation."

Interesting thought. I'll have to think about that.

quote:
I can't wait to read the next chapter! [Smile] Seriously, do we get to hear about the wedding, the learning to live with one another, the kids, and so on? I can't bear for this to end so soon!
At the present time, there are no plans for a second chapter. We'll see what happens in the future.

quote:
It's almost lucky that you guys wound up together.
It really is. In fact, it is hard to believe that it happened at all. There were so many ways that it barely happened. It was so unlikely, I'd almost call it impossible, except for the fact that it apparently happened. [Smile]

quote:
Do you two get the sense that God really wanted you to end up together.
I don't believe that there is one single person out there that each person is supposed to end up with. But to answer your question -- yes, I do believe that God helped us get together.

quote:
Oh, I forgot I was going to hassle you about "joint". What is this, Alaska, Idaho, or California with a Doctor's prescriptions?
No, I just figured that the best way to get people to care about my landmark was to get Mary involved in it. [Razz]

[ July 16, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice landmark guys. [Smile]

I like your story because I think what it shows is that love isn't all ways straight forward. There are complications. There are sometimes other people who you are strongly attracted to.
And sometimes you need to take a leap of faith and say "Yes, I'll committ to this person. There will be problems. We may hurt each other. I may meet some-one else I am attracted to. But I have faith that together we can work through all this, and end up stronger and happier for it."

No quick fixes. I enjoyed reading it.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME story! Thank you both for sharing it with us.

[Hat]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew who you were (I have lurked here for a year), but we were in the 44th together. Porter and my husband would talk about the previous night's Robot Wars right after Sunday School every week. Do you know who I am (my name should be a hint). Cool to hear you story.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, y'all. I'm sad that I have had to be away for so long. It isn't by choice. I have no internet connection to my computer right now. (I am hijacking Porter's beloved computer to type this.)

I really wanted to share the story of Porter and I because I feel it is a very unusual love story and it does a great deal to explain both of us.

But Porter and I also really appreciated this wonderful opportunity to put our story down in writing. Now we have it to treasure for ourselves or share with others. It was fun, though sometimes painful, to write. Our love story was a difficult one to live, thus a difficult one to tell. I sometimes envy those who just "click" so easily, because Porter and I had to work so hard at what comes so easily to some. But I really do think that it was all that work that has made our marriage as powerful and solid as it is--that is an unspeakably wonderful blessing.

Do I think God had a hand in bringing us together? Absolutely! We never would have ended up together on our own. That is why I relate so much to the courtship of Ender's parents. What they had was almost like an arranged marriage, and in some ways, so was Porter's and mine. But there is such a sweetness in that story, and I think Porter and I had that same essence with us also.

Hobbes, I chuckle at your comment. Some find the right one right away, and some have crazy stories like ours. Who can say which path is better?

Yeah, I have to agree with the wonderful comments made here. At least for most people--there is not just "one right person" out there for you. There is the potential for a wonderful, lasting relationship with a number of different people. It is not unusual to be attracted to others even if you are totally devoted to your spouse. But it is no excuse to not be totally devoted to your spouse.

Romance is what you make it, and I think it is better when the heart is ruled by the head. That is the only way that love truly conquers all. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
School4ever -- yeah, I know who you are. Your husband is the guy that scared to death the new sunday school teacher by declaring "I am a seer".

Good to see you here. Are y'all still in Utah? It's been a couple of years since I've heard any news about you guys. Say howdy to your husband, too.

Also let me echo what Mary said about about the OSC story "Teacher's Pest", about the Wiggins parents. That is the only story I've ever heard that reminded me of our courship.

[ July 16, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
We are still in Utah and still in school I started my Masters last year, he is still working on his PhD. At this point we have the school thing down, so why change [Big Grin]
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

By the way he got to do it again with a new group this year [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
You all keep talking about Mary Cate...what happened to Ashley?
Mary had to explain to me that you weren't referring to sarcasticmuppet. I honestly had no idea what you were talking about.

[ July 17, 2004, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was just gorgeous, guys. Thank you so much for sharing it - that's just beautiful. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That was fabulous. I got to meet both of you for about half an hour, but I really respect you and am glad to say I know such fascinating people. [Smile]

Thanks for sharing with us! What a cool story.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yay! I've got internet back! [Big Grin]

quote:
You guys jumped in and out of love-thinking-of-marriage between people pretty darned quick.
Yeah, that is definitely true. Though keep in mind, all the major characters here are LDS, a group of people who tend to put a lot of importance on marriage. It's not a very good representation of the average population. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
just wanted to add my voice to the rising chorus of "people who thought that was really cool."
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was so cool.

I am now in pooka's debt for referring me to this thread which I would probably have missed since I've barely been glancing at the front page.

I enjoy the both of you so much, really I do. And Porter makes the most delicious typos. [Wink]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Um, since I don't know what typos you are referring to, I'm starting to feel nervous... [Angst]

If you don't watch the front page, what do you watch? [Confused]

peter the bookie
Member # 3270

quote:
If she did get married, then contradulations to her.
which I don't actually know if is a typo or just a very amusing turn of phrase. either way, I'm stealing it.

quote:
I never changed my mind, and I heart her.
which isn't funny at all, but is.

And this was on page 2 when I found it, which I was only on because I was looking for this thread. [Smile]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

There. I fixed those two typos, but I gave you credit, peter. [Razz]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Those were pretty bad typos, and they remind me of an anecdote that I'll share here.

I did not get along with my 10th-grade English teacher. In her class, she would lecture us about what the symbolism in a book meant, and then we would write essays spitting it back at her. If you gave a different interpretation than the one she gave you, for some reason there were always many technical flaws in your essay, and you would get, at best, a D.

I never got above a C on any of her essays because of spelling. For the life of me, I could not spell correctly. She told me that I wasn't smart enough to continue in the honors program. In fact, she thought I probably had a learning disability, and sent me to get tested.

The person that tested me for a learning disability send me back with the message, which I'll paraphrase here: "Who was the idiot that thought this kid had a learning disability?"

Well, thank goodness I was stubborn enough to ignore that teacher. I ignored her advice, and was rewarded by having the best teacher of my high school days as my senior year honors English teacher. This woman (senior-year teacher) made me believe that I was actually smart. It's like she un-did all the damage that my 10th grade teacher did.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
celia is that teacher, come back to haunt you. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So that's why everybody calls her evil. It all makes sense now!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great landmark!!!!!

*big hugs and kisses for bev and porter*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*sticks hand out for handshake before Telp can kiss him* [Wink]

Seriously, I got pretty good at doing that in Brazil. Girls would come in for a kiss, but get intercepted by the handshake.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe in the "one and only true love/soulmate" idea. Except when it comes to me and Mr. Pook. There are exceptions to every rule, after all.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, I'll have to tell you about the time a girl tried to follow my dad back to his room in Peru one day.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Pooka -- I guess you get to be the exception that proves the rule.

PSI -- do tell!

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a very original idea. I didn't even know you two were married....even though i kinda know you both from your posts... [Big Grin]

My wife and I (well, mainly me) had all sorts of questions about marriage and all....so much that our priest said during our wedding " I hear from people who fell in love 'at first sight' all the time from the people I counsel, so it was very refreshing to hear Rob and Jenni's story. Both had doubts, but they thought about it and talked, and everything worked out perfect."....that got quite a laugh from everyone...

I'll save the rest for my own Landmark, if I ever bother... [Smile] .

Great story, and a wonderful way of expressing it here. Thank you both for sharing it with us.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I am not a believer in love at first sight. There can be like, lust, or infatuation at first sight, and that can later turn into love, but I have never believed in love at first sight.

Of course, pooka will probably come here and tell me that that's how it worked for her, and I'll have to tell her that she's the exception that proves the rule. [Smile]

I have been surprised at how people have reacted to this landmark. Many people have said, in effect "How romantic!" I didn't expect that. Sometimes Mary asks me why I married her, or why I decided to go through all that crap to marry her. I can never come up with a good answer. The only answer I can come up with is "It seemed like what I had to do at the time", which doesn't strike me as very romantic.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Commitment in the face of difficulty is VERY romantic. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

You should track down pooka's landmark and see, if you haven't already read it. While I would have told the man she married to get bent, it's still an interesting tale.
beverly
Member # 6246

Is that the one where they were playing chess? That was a fascinating story!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'll have to do that.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Moses, I was born in Bartlesville, OK.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Hot dog! How long did you live there? Is there any chance that we know each other? The name that I went by in Bartlesville has never, to my knowledge, been posted on hatrack.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Love at first meeting is very real. My mom knew she was going to marry my dad on their first date. They stayed together for 49 years. Hey, don't knock it just because it hasn't happened to you! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for my own curiosity purposes, where in Texas did this all take place? Texas is a really, really, really big state.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I only lived there until I was two. So, I seriously doubt we know each other.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I lived in Colleyville, somewhere between Dallas and Ft. Worth.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I just went and read pooka's landmark. My jaw hit the floor. That is a bizarre tale. It was great to hear. I would post on her thread, but it's locked now.

So it wasn't pooka correcting me about love at first sight -- it was ak. Do I get partial credit?

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I just made time to read this landmark. Wow, what a winding road to love ! I hope I don't have to go through that... On the other hand, all that struggle surely taught you a lot, so who knows ? Anyway, I'm glad to have had the occasion to read this, thanks mph and beverly. [Hat]

And congrats on 2000, mph !
[The Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
I think means good things for my Hatcrack addiction when I can go this long without noticing a landmark by someone I've met. [Smile]

Wonderful landmark, kids. You two are an adorable couple with a great story.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
How on Earth did I miss this thread?!?!?

great landmark, guys. Uber-sweet and romantic. I love your kids...the're cute and have cool names. [Big Grin]

quote:
I did not get along with my 10th-grade English teacher. In her class, she would lecture us about what the symbolism in a book meant, and then we would write essays spitting it back at her. If you gave a different interpretation than the one she gave you, for some reason there were always many technical flaws in your essay, and you would get, at best, a D.

I never got above a C on any of her essays because of spelling. For the life of me, I could not spell correctly. She told me that I wasn't smart enough to continue in the honors program. In fact, she thought I probably had a learning disability, and sent me to get tested.

The person that tested me for a learning disability send me back with the message, which I'll paraphrase here: "Who was the idiot that thought this kid had a learning disability?"

Well, thank goodness I was stubborn enough to ignore that teacher. I ignored her advice, and was rewarded by having the best teacher of my high school days as my senior year honors English teacher. This woman (senior-year teacher) made me believe that I was actually smart. It's like she un-did all the damage that my 10th grade teacher did.

Seriously, Porter, you're scaring me. This woman is identical to my 11th-grade AP English teacher back in High School. I would literally just sit and cry instead of doing her essays. It took a six-week summer GT program and an awesome 12th grade english teacher to make me realize that yes I can write at an advanced level.

Not an Olsen twin,
sarmup

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.