FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Dear Hatrack -life landmark- (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dear Hatrack -life landmark-
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Hatrack,

I would like you to know me. Joshua Brad Galvez, born 19 August 1985. As such, I share with you this, my account of my life. I will attempt to share with you the truth as I see it. The good and the bad. I am not a storyteller, nor is my writing eloquent, but here it is.

I have reached a landmark in my life. A life that has been rewarding to me. I have not lived a perfect life, nor has all been perfect for me. It's been a relatively simple life. I have not had any huge life changing experiences, single moments where I can see that all was suddenly different. No near death injuries, no broken bones. I have not won the lottery, or made a million dollars before age sixteen (not for lack of trying). Never been really hurt, never been deeply in love.

My life has not been uninteresting, providing me with some unique opportunities. I'm blind. I was home-schooled. I have an awesome knack for all things of recent technology. I love to learn. I'm motivated to do things right when I do them. I care about people. Grudges and desire to cause hurt and discomfort are foreign to me. My right arm is crooked, I can not extend it straight. I am usually the youngest of those I associate with. I have a hard time with "small talk." I am not shy when it comes to meeting people. But extending the relationship beyond "Hi" is not a simple task for me. I have a hard time sharing myself with others, portraying my feelings.

I was born with Ocular Albinism, an inherited condition that caused my retina to not develop properly. I was classified as legally blind. I did not attend the school for the deaf and blind. My parents did not feel that it was right. An itinerant teacher was assigned to me and any needed resources were available. This is something that has been of little issue to me through my life. I get little closer to things to read. I use a magnifying glass to ready small print. I don't see detail at far distances. I like to compare it to what you might see when you look through binoculars the wrong direction. My first drivers license had a 40mph restriction, this was later lifted.

I've had many types of formal education. My schooling began early, my mom made every effort to educate me. When I entered kindergarten I was the oldest in my class. I was well advanced over everyone in that class, the content was basic. I remember sitting in the principals office meeting with her to discuss advancing me to the first grade. I joined my new class the following Monday, now the youngest. I had an awesome teacher, my teachers through all my elementary schooling were great. I loved learning, I loved math. After the first grade boundaries were rearranged and I was transferred to new school. I made a few good friends those years. People that I still consider friends. Cameron, Kurt, and still my best friend Rainier. I also had my first crush, Tina. I did some stupid things for her attention. Certainly more daring then I would ever be now. Stupid things. Like tying myself to my desk with the string of my sweatpants. I couldn't get the knot undone, but she would. In third grade I entered the Utah Math and Science Olympiad. I believe my team placed second. I began bringing my backpack to school full of wires, batteries, capacitors, LEDs and other electronic components. For Rainier and I recess was spent working with these. During fourth grade I would leave school early once a week and attend Continuing Education courses by Weber State University. My Grandpa taught for them. I was the youngest in the Windows 95 and other Microsoft Certification courses. I completed my math book half way through the school year, I got in trouble for that. I was bringing other books to class to read, I was bored. We talked to my teacher and the school principal. The only answer we could get was "I can only go as fast as the slowest student in my class." It was on my teachers recommendation that my mother looked into a possibility that changed my life, home-schooling. I did not attend public school the next year. Nor did I return for high-school. I never graduated from high-school, I have not received a high-school diploma. This has not been a problem for me. I was enrolled at Weber State University at age 15. The admission process was not difficult with the high marks I received on the ACT and letters of recommendation from my many extracurricular activities. I did receive many looks, but nothing I was not used to.

My course was obvious to me. Computer Science. This is where my love lies, it is where I excel. My first personal computer was an IBM PC, with two 5-1/4" drives. My dad bought it for well more than we have ever payed for a computer since. His dad was on the hospital board and were purchasing many of them, so we received a bulk discount. I used this computer for many things, I learned BASIC on it. I learned the basics of a DOS. Soon after I started using the PC we received an Apple IIe. This became my personal computer. I know every upgrade we've had since then, but they don't really matter now. I learned lots, programming, networking, OS usage, theory, hardware assembly. It is my love.

But more than loving computers, I love to learn, I love to study. I love to read. I have an awesome desire to constantly be growing. My favorite questions have always been, why do you do that? How does that work? etc... They have moved me far in this world.

There has been one major challenge in my life that I've had to overcome. Silence. Lack of communication. My father's family are some of the kindest, most successful, hardest working, awesome people that I know, yet they lack one thing, communication. My mom remembers a 2 hour car ride just after being engaged, with him and his parents to go to a sisters house for dinner where not a word was said. These characteristics left me without a father for 16 years. Oh he was around, and he provided for the family, but for 16 years I did not know him. Did not know what he loved, what his favorite color was, if he enjoyed doing anything. He made every effort to be to anything important to us, ball games, performances, whatever. He worked as a general manager for a video store chain and was never home. Well, he left for work at 7 or 8 in the morning, be home at 6 for dinner. He would help with math homework, for that is where he excelled, his degree in accounting. But never did I feel an expressed interest in what I was doing. A desire to want to do things with me, we never built bonds as father and son. I tried to express this to my mom, but I don't know that I ever did. I got irritated with things, I felt like when I expressed my self I wasn't understood. Somewhere along the line here I read Songmaster by Orson Scott Card. This book changed my life. I began to realize that control was what I needed. If I can control my emotions, if I can not show others how I feel. Than I don't feel it. I became fairly good at this. Which was not a good thing. Because as Ansett did, I began to drown, in my emotion. Not because I was angry at anybody or because I held a grudge, but because I was cutting myself off from contact, communicating less and less. This was not who I wanted to be. My father changed careers when I was 13, started commercial real estate. He began to realize that things weren't perfect at home and began to try harder. It was well that it was at this time, he grew bonds with my younger siblings, and they had a Dad in their life. I still had a brick wall up around me. This did not shatter until I was 16 when I left home for college. The day before I left I broke down, and yelled at my father, told him everything that was wrong, everything that he wasn't for me, I didn't have a dad. My father never yelled, never got upset, ever. He didn't now either, All he said was "I know," I left after that. It took a while, but we began building a relationship, 300 miles apart, we now could talk.

I have had many jobs through my life. I have an entrepreneurial spirit. I was the kid running the lemon-aide stand, buying 3 cent candy at the dairy and selling it for 5 cents. I opened my first company at age 12. Zevlag Computing. I designed and printed advertising fliers, delivered them to everyone in the neighborhoods around my house. Offering computer services, networking, repair, building, etc. I didn't get a ton of business, but I did receive some. I did well with what I did and my reputation grew. I began to have some local businesses for clients. This continued until I left for school. While away in Cedar City I started a new company, with a direct market of the small businesses. We immediately did well. I sold my interest in the company when I left. I continue to do consulting work under the Zevlag Computing entity. I've worked a number of other computer related jobs. Lab technician at WSU, Senior Engineer at HiTech Marketing, Network Administrator at Webpipe.net.

I care about people, I really do. When I ask someone how they are doing, I really want to know, I like to do what i can to help. To help others feel more comfortable. It's not easy to offend me or upset me, if you do, well, the feelings don't last long. I don't hold grudges. Forgiveness comes quickly.

My goals in life aren't outrageous, but they are lofty, some see them as impossible. I have found I can do anything I want if I try. I love to work, but I don't love that I have to work. I want to have enough investment that by age 30 I can walk away from my "job" and spend a year traveling with my family, Without any worries. I want to have enough that I can help a friend in need. I want to be able to see those that I love and care about, wherever they are.

We come to now, a landmark in my life, in so many ways.

It has been a dream of mine to be in New Zealand. This dream has been fulfilled. I am here. It is everything I wanted it to be. Beautiful. It feels like home. I look forward to moving here in the future.

I am happy. I feel like I have lived a successful life, not perfect, but I have no loose ends, nothing that right now I would feel like I would have missed out on if I were to disappear.

I am ready for the next step in my life

I was asked to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I accepted this call. I will be going to Melbourne, Australia for 2 years, teaching in Mandarin Chinese. 1 December 2004 I go to the Missionary Training Center in Utah for 3 months to study Chinese, and then I go to Oz. This is something that is right for me. There have been many hard decisions in my life, but none of them were as hard for me to make, as it was for me to decide if now was the right time for me to do this. I have a testimony of Jesus Christ, of a Father in Heaven that loves us, and of the truthfulness of the gospel I've been asked to share.

You guys have meant a lot to me over the years. You are my family. This has been home. I look forward to returning in 2 years. Thank you dearly for those of you have cared for me, and all of you that make up this place I call home.

Josh

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've just read the "galley proofs" of this, I get to be the first to post in reply! [Smile]

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] Joshy

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] How is it I've just found out you know Mandarin?

I am sooo jealous of you right now. Make sure you enjoy Australia enough for the both of us, okay?

Good luck!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work, Zev.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude [Cool] Zevlag
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun in Australia man. Glad things worked out.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you won't be able to hatrack for 2 years, or you just don't think you'll have time?

Good luck on your adventures.

Stryker

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool beans. It's been cool having you around. Have a great mission!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Great landmark! [Smile]

But no Joshy for TWO YEARS? [Eek!]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] What a great landmark, Zevlag. Good luck on your mission.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] *hugs*
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Josh. Been a pleasure to hang with you, and know you.

Note to self: do something before Dec. 1st to and/or with Josh.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Great landmark!

You do know we have the interweb and other communification thingys down under these days?

Also, are you aware of the existence of the "internet cafe"? They are wildly popular here, sometimes being combined with cafes, laundromats and even tanning salons. Sometimes all at once.

Look me up when you arrive, we can grab a carbonated beverage of some description! [Smile]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
look through binoculars the wrong direction. My first drivers license had a 40mph restriction, this was later lifted.
Some teenager is going to read this and get pulled over for driving with a pair of backward binoculars strapped to his head.

Hey, I've got a diploma from WSU too.

Have a good mission!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::hugs bro::

I'm gonna miss you like crazy.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That was a lovely landmark, Josh. Congratulations on all you've accomplished, and thank you for sharing it with us. Good luck on your mission!

Liza

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Z, I knew you were cool when we played out first Mafia game together. You have always posted interesting things and I've enjoyed reading them. I wish you luck in Australia, but I'll miss having you around here.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch   Email FriendlyNeighborhoodWitch         Edit/Delete Post 
Josh-have a wonderful trip to Australia and most certainly good luck with your mission. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that good vibes will definitely be coming your way from me. I'm sure we will miss you very much here at the 'Rack and will look forward to your return. I have always enjoyed your posts, and I feel like Hatrack is losing a valuable member (if only for two years). Have a wonderful time, and try not to miss us too much here.

-Belladonna

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
::hugs tight:: I'm glad you're happy, big bro, that's all that ever counts. [Kiss] I'll miss your emails and IMs, so I *expect* letters, dammit!

I'm always proud of you.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, what an amazing time for you!! How exciting! I will say "Australia!!!!" but then I'll say "Mandarin Chinese!!!!!!" [Eek!]

We're so proud of you!! Thanks for the lovely landmark.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking Mandarin Chinese in Australia? I'd watch out, Zev - you may end up returning with...

...an accent.

Of course, I'm exceedingly jealous that first you get to go to New Zealand for fun, and then get to go to Australia for religion. What's next? Some dude will have a computer problem in Maui that requires your attention? [Wink]

Good luck with it, though.
quote:
My first drivers license had a 40mph restriction
*drops jaw* Did you abide by it? If so, you're a stronger man then I ever could be.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
people in Australia speak Chinese?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, I have often enjoyed your posts here, but I neven knew any of that about you, other than the fact you like computers.

I don't know what to say about your call to a mission, because I am not LDS, nor do I wish to be.....I am happy as I am now.
I wish you joy and happiness, and I hope that your mission is fulfilling.

Thanks you for sharing a bit more about yourself, I am sure it wasn't that easy for you to do.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
people in Australia speak Chinese?

We're all Chinese.

It's just a cunning ruse, the whole caucasian and accent thing, to make the US like us more.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
:: Hugs bro ::

I hope you well, man. can you send postcard? That way I can walk back from class in the cold Wisconsin winter and read about your summers in Australia...hey...I think I'd be getting the short end of that stick....

Troub: hasn't there been a large influx of East Asian people that have caused some resentment?
Satyagraha

[ November 23, 2004, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Insanity Plea ]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate: I am your acolyte! You should not worship me!

PSI: I took a few semesters of Mandarin at school. I will have 3 months of intense study at the Missionary Training Center.

Irami: Thanks you. It means alot coming from you. I've enjoyed your many years here.

Teshi: I agree. [Smile] It's exciting.

Kaioshin, the wise: Dude [Cool] It's all good.

Stan: That's the best part about life. It all works out, not always as one would expect, or hope. But it works out.

Raja: Heh! I atleast know how to pronounce your name correctly! hehe Kylie and I had a nice talk about this while walking around Wellington.

Stryker: I don't think I will have time. But I will be in contact with my family form here and they will make sure some updates get posted.

Brinestone: I will. Thanks.

Rivka: Alas, it is so. You WILL still be here when I return, neh? *it had better be so*

Uhleeuh: Thanks.

Sarah: *hugs* [Smile] *hugs*

Nathan: It's been good knowing you also. We must certainly see if we can do something.

Troubadour: I do konw about such things. It will make it much easier staying in touch. I would be glad to give you visit. Send me an email, address in my profile.

Skillery: *laugh* That's a funny visual image. What's funny is that my Grandfather used to wear glasses that looked like this when he drove.

Becky: I'll miss you as well! *hug*

ElJay: Thanks! I enjoyed getting to know you at Kamacon.

Kayla: Thank you. I will always remember that game of Mafia, it was fun. I have enjoyed having you around as well. I am glad you are still here.

Belladonna: Good vibes are a good thing. Thanks.

Mayday: Sister, thank you. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Narnia Dear: That was my reaction! I'm all excited about it though.

Goat: Hehe, I look forward to such an accent [Smile] Alas, I will admit having a hard time abiding to such a restriction. I did often times, but not always.

Kama: Computer programs in Poland speak English? [Wink]

Kwea: Being happy is what counts. My mission will be fulfilling, if only because I want it to be. Thanks for reading.

Bernard: I most certainly can. :-) hehe. Freeze your butt off in Wisconsin!

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard enough time knowing where I will be in two WEEKS. [Wink] But I hope to still be around these parts in two years -- hey, I'll be an oldbie! [Big Grin]

Go well, and return well. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Goatee: Some dude will have a computer problem in Maui that requires your attention?
...well, I live on Kauai, and my computer HAS been acting up recently...

Awesome post, Zev Man. I'm glad I was around last night to wave those pompoms while you were starting to write it. So many things I never knew about you; it was great to learn more about you, bud. *respect for the other Z*

[Smile] Goodluck in everything, m'man.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,

Great landmark. I was pleased to have the opportunity to learn a bit more about you. [Smile]

If I recall correctly, I've told you this before, but I find your entrepreneurial spirit incredibly impressive. I have always admired dedicated self-starters, and you are definitely at the head of the pack in that regard. Keep it up.

Thanks for being the kind, caring, friendly, and interesting person you are. Have a ton of fun and success on your mission and remember to try to check in once in a while. We'll miss you. [Smile]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Insanity Plea, only amongst the more rural communities. There's a political party called "One Nation" which was founded by a VERY scary lady called Pauline Hanson, who used to run a fish & chip shop in rural Queensland - one of our more redneckish states. One Nation was built on a platform of a "white Australia" type policy, which is a bit ridiculous considering our outrageously diverse cultural history.

Anyway, they didn't hold much sway for long, although the scary man-behind-the-scenes-facist David Oldfield managed to kick out Hanson and take over the party.

We also have legislation that puts boat-people (people who are smuggled into Australia via boats from nearby islands) into mandatory detention. The weight of public opinion seems to come firmly down against that too.

So while the media makes a big hullaballoo about it all, it's not really seen that much in daily life.

OH - and Melbourne is the WEIRDEST place to come to in Australia when it comes to whether... but I've just had an idea and will publish that info in another thread.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but Josh, I SO admire you! [Hail]

Wow I didn't realize you were a sibling until tonight! I knew you were close kin, just not the exact kinship. [Smile] (That crazy Bernard is always adopting people and forgetting to tell me.)

I'm going to miss you here at hatrack so much while you are away, but I do love snail mail so I will write faithfully, I promise! Anything you want me to post for you here you can write to me (or to anyone else for that matter, I'm sure) and we will get the message through.

Thanks for posting such a wonderful landmark. You're an amazing person and this is a new window onto who you are. I know the investigators in Melbourne are incredibly lucky that you chose to serve this mission. You have such a great spirit about you, and such a powerful love for everyone. I know you are my acolyte but it is I who look up to you and hope to be like you someday. Best of luck at the MTC and for all of your life. I feel quite privileged to know you.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing, Josh. So many things about you I never would have guessed in a million years. WHat a great life, what an amazing amount of dedication and spirit.

[Hat]

You play your cards pretty close to the chest. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, what a remarkable man you are. Thanks for sharing your story.

And catch a Paul Kelly show for me while you're in Oz.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Upon meeting you, I knew there was an incredibly good person within. There is something wonderfully familiar about you even though we have only spoken a few times (and most of that was engaged in geek-speak). I have been pleased to make your acquaintance and inspired to be a better person. Go onto the world and do good works and through teaching learn and share.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on all the wonderful things in your life, some of which you worked hard for, others that fell in your lap, all of which have been blessings. I hope you will enjoy this next phase of your life. You will be sorely missed, but you are off to learn and grow in unimaginable ways. Be happy. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! great landmark, Josh! (and now I know why you go by Zevlag!)

It was really great meeting you and getting to know you a little bit at KamaCon. You will do well on your mission -- but I will miss that you can't touch base with us here during that time. I hope you keep a Journal or something to share with all of us after your mission is over.

I had no idea there were many Chinese people in Australia. (that you would have to learn the language to mission in Australia). So you have taught me something new already.

Best wishes to you -- and we hope to hear back from you in two years.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a great time on your Mission!
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a great landmark...I've just learned so many things about you that I never knew before. [Cool]

Good luck on your mission! Drop us a line every now and then, kay? [Smile]

(((bro)))

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Zevvy, I'm so incredibly proud of you. I can't believe you just barely turned nineteen - your life is impressive for someone ten years older. You're amazing.

And you are going to LOVE your mission. [Smile] And you're going to Australia! Speaking Mandarin! Wow!!

This is so very true.
quote:
I care about people, I really do. When I ask someone how they are doing, I really want to know, I like to do what i can to help. To help others feel more comfortable. It's not easy to offend me or upset me, if you do, well, the feelings don't last long. I don't hold grudges. Forgiveness comes quickly.
I've benefitted from your kindness and compassion and friend-ness so many times. *hug* Thanks for everything Zevvy. I'm grateful and very proud. [Smile]

[ November 23, 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Josh* Awesome landmark.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
Your life story is amazing! Excellent landmark. Best of luck with your mission. [Smile]
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I now brag about sharing a hotel room with you? [Monkeys]

Josh, you are one of the very first jatraqueros I met in real life. Because of you, I knew that I finally had found "home". I hope you know what a treasure you are, to Hatrack and to the world.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's awesome man. I only wish I knew you better so I would have something more meaningful to say.

I'm gonna miss you. I hope your mission is awesome, and I have to say I'm a bit jealous about the location. Always wanted to go to Australia.

Don't forget us! I hope to see you again in two years. [Smile]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
A wonderful landmark.
I hope the next two years work out wonderfully for you.
I wish you the best of luck.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Zev, it has been an honor to know you over the past number of years. You've always been a favorite of mine, ever since that first Mafia game where we teamed up and took all. You're a man of honor.

Congratulations on your life-landmark, and I know that you won't have *any* trouble meeting your "before I'm 30" goal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you meet it a few years early. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing your life with us. Good luck in Australia. [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing. Thanks Josh... I'm glad to know you.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an awesome landmark, Josh. I wish we'd had more chances to hang out before you went back to Utah... but you know, making the plane's a good thing.

Take care of yourself. I'm very glad to hear that you're going for your mission - it makes me very proud. I hate that I don't have the time or resources to do something with you before you leave.

Keep in touch, man. And look me up when you get back.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.