FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Origins of Sarcasticmuppet -- a Landmark and an advertisement

Author Topic: Origins of Sarcasticmuppet -- a Landmark and an advertisement
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've told this story once or twice before, but relatively few people at Hatrack seem to know the origins of Sarcasticmuppet. Well, friends, it's a short, sweet tale that I'm going to tell you right...

now:

In my senior year of High School I was editor of our school paper, which was having a hard time because we didn't have very many experienced writers and the writers that we did have had serious issues with deadlines. They were mostly sophomores, which just made it all the more worse, not even mentioning that I was the only senior.

Well, on one occasion I'm talking to these wee sophomores, wondering why their story isn't done or why their lead is so weak or various other journalistic issues, and I'm trying to show that I'm still a nice person by making jokes at their expense.

See how nice I am?

Anyway, the teacher in charge of the newspaper staff (and one of the greatest minds I've ever had the honor of knowing) made the remark that what I was doing was very similar to what the old men in the balcony do at the Muppet Show: heckle, make fun of, and laugh uproariously at their own jokes.

I thought it was a fair analysis.

So not long after this happened (April 11, 2003, to be precise), I decide to make my prescence known on Hatrack. In trying to find a really great handle that showed off a teeny bit of my personality, Dr. Mills's comment kept coming out and I eventually came up with "sarcasticmuppet".

Now as an honor to my name, my teacher, and my riffing abilities, I'm going to take part in the newest Mafia to hit Galacticus: Muppet Show Mafia. Join in so I can make fun of you, too!

[ February 02, 2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((((((((((((sarmup)))))))))))))))))))))

Wow. I hope it all works out for you.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] It's a cute story.

Did you have a thing for the muppet movies? One of my closest friends has a serious Kermit fixation.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be your minion? [Big Grin]

(now you ask if I'm being sarcastic.)

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be a minion too? I love the Muppets. Animal , the drummer is my favorite.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Trisha: Are you being sarcastic?

I *adore* A Muppet Christmas Carol...that's my favorite version of the Dickens (the TNT one with Patrick Stewart is a close second). I love just about all of the muppet movies; Muppet Treasure Island used to come on every week or so on the Disney channel, and I'd switch to that even if I was watching something I've never seen before.

Oh, and I saw Avenue Q on Broadway and absolutely loved it. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In trying to find a really great handle
Something with mother of pearl inlay and lots of chrome. [Smile]

I like sarcastic muppets so much I married one.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet Treasure Island is very, very wonderful. Nothing beats the original set of movies, though: The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and Muppets Take Manhatten. [Smile]

"Ah, a bear in his natural habitat: a Studebaker."

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
cool
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet Treasure Island is one of my favorite cheer-me-up movies. Because it doesn't get any better than Muppet pirates singing and dancing with Tim Curry. It just doesn't.

Sam the Eagle is my favorite.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Thanks for the landmark and the invite!

BTW, April 11th is my wife's birthday...

*tromps on over to galacticcactus*

[ February 02, 2005, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The two old guys are my absolute favorite part of the show! [Big Grin]

I would consider playing if it was not during the school year. :-\

[ February 02, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The swedish chef has not been called.

"Bork Bork Bork!" I'd say it's a natural for Annie, but I know she finds mafia detestable or something.

Ashley: I'd love to be your minion. For serious.

[ February 03, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Derrell, my brother was thinking of doing Animal, but it appears he likes Crazy Harry better so Animal is open.

Beaker is also open and the profile is already there if anyone is feeling lazy...

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Statler and Waldorf kick ass, and so do you, sarcasticmuppet. [Smile]

Bear left.

Frog right.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked your screenname, Ashley, since I first started coming to HR. You were one of the first jatraqueros who seemed "real" to me.

Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of Morbo! [Evil Laugh]

[ February 04, 2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Sarcasticmuppet, if I agree to play Muppet mafia, can I be one of your minions? I'm serious. I'd like to be a minion. Is there an application for would be minions to fill out?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I'm not sure what my minions would do, exactly. Probably just sit around...watchin' tv...making fun of people...

Actually, minions are sounding sweeter and sweeter...

Trisha and Derrel are now officially my minions! Woo!

Derrell
Member # 6062

Help! I went to Galactic Cactus and tried to sign up for muppet mafia, but it wouldn't let me.

Also, where do I find a picture and bio information on Animal?

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Statler and Waldorf were my favorites. I never quite connected that they were what your name referred to, I just pictured one of the cute, brightly colored ones with moppy hair saying sarcastic things. Now I shall know better.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile]

Can you be my minion?

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And RRR, You can be My minion. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Derrell, did you try registering?
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yes I registered. I'll try signing up again today.
mothertree
Member # 4999

If it gets too complicated, I can loan you a login. I've had trouble before, skimming the directions in the registration email and not picking up on what exactly I was supposed to do.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I can loan you one too.

Oh, and Eljay, please feel free to continue equating me with something cute. [Big Grin]

mothertree
Member # 4999

:bump: Did you make it, Derrell?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.