FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Landmark 6000: Why I left, and why I came back

Author Topic: Landmark 6000: Why I left, and why I came back
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
As you probably know, I've been gone from Hatrack for several months now. There were several reasons for my sabbatical, and I think at the time it was the right decision. Hatrack seemed different to me, and I was enjoying it less and less.

However, that didn't stop me from checking it frequently and posting frequently, too. I was worn out from all of the political and religious discussions (I have a rather low tolerance for arguing and contention), so I tried to stay away from them. But in doing so, I think I turned into white noise—just a bunch of posts that didn't really mean much. I was feeling out-of-touch and frustrated, so I decided I needed to take a break. A really long one.

And I had my own forum (along with Sakeriver, Madowl, and others) where I felt comfortable and at home. I didn't feel like I had to post all the time, and I was surrounded by a smaller, more intimate group. It seemed like a pretty good arrangement.

But as time went on, I felt like something was missing. I wasn't involved in Hatrack anymore, so I missed out on lots of things. But I still wanted to know about all the get-togethers and things like that, which I realized seemed rather hypocritical; I wanted the benefits of knowing what was going on and hanging out with everyone in real life, but I didn't want to have to be part of the community anymore.

And anyway, there have been times when I've seen a thread and have had the urge to reply, but I've stopped myself—and why? Just because I'd decided not to post anymore? I began to have a harder and harder time justifying my self-exile. After all, Ruth still manages to post over here without letting things get out of control. Why couldn't I do the same?

I started to realize that my sabbatical had served its purpose. I had taken a nice, long break and broken my addiction. I've had a lot of time to evaluate Hatrack and my relationship to it and to the people here. By continuing my self-exile, I would only be hurting myself by denying myself a part in such a great community.

Now, I heard there was a thread about language stuff somewhere. I think I'm going to have to go check that out.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Nice to have you back here, Jonny. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, Jonathon. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! It's good to see you back. [Smile]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Jon Boy. I had missed you when I got home internet recently, glad you're going to post more regularly. [Smile]

Morbo

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Welcome back. [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, Jonny Boy. I remember you from way back, but it's all kinda hazy. . . I was gone for a year and a bit myself due to no internet and living in the middle of outer darkness. Anyway, welcome.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(hugs Jon Boy) We need more of you here, anyway. Thanks for coming back.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy?

Never heard of him.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Icarus: That's not what you said last night.

And just a gentle warning to everyone else: "Jonny" is my most hated nickname ever. But thanks for the warm welcome (or re-welcome, I suppose). [Smile]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Your post was spelling-error-free and well-written. I liked how you broke up the paragraphs and hyphenated "out-of-touch".

I'm glad you're back! We should ressurect the ask-Jon-Boy thread so we can pepper you with more questions.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. You just came back 'cause after playing mafia with me you found yourself unable to resist my sharp wit and charm. Or not.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, I wondered about that when I posted it, but I still couldn't restrain myself. Sigh. I don't know what's come over me to be so persnickety!

Ah well.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And just a gentle warning to everyone else: "Jonny" is my most hated nickname ever.
OK, I hadn't a clue. But now, if I want to annoy you on purpose, I will know how. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Jonny" is my most hated nickname ever.
Even over Pat?

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you decided to come back. But why would you ever want to break a Hatrack addiction? [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're back, Jon Boy! [Smile]

(no one can stay away forever [Wink] )

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Pat Boy? Do you hate that one more?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, man. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Omigosh! I've missed you so much!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, I am the one who registered the name Pat Boy, if you'll remember.

Ruth: You're such a dork.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray!!!

Jon Boy is back!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember. [Razz]

By the way, thanks for giving my post count the chance to overtake yours again.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaaaaaah!!! Yay!!! *bounces off walls* I MISSED YOU Jon Boy!!! Welcome back! [Wave]

It's so good to see you again!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Brinestone
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You WERE gone a long time! I see your last post before this week was June 29 of last year!

Welcome back! I'm so glad you missed us and decided to return. You always have so much good information to contribute...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you Jon Boy. [Wave] The Secret fraternal order of Linguists has your cloak and red pen waiting for you.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And just a gentle warning to everyone else: "Jonny" is my most hated nickname ever. But thanks for the warm welcome (or re-welcome, I suppose).
Excellent! That aides me a lot~!

I may be new here, but welcome back.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Secret fraternal order of Linguists has your cloak and red pen waiting for you.
The dyslexic cabal here tried to start a program like that but after we wrote away for some shirts we never received our order. [Dont Know]

Welcome back Jon Boy. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 16, 2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Thanks, everyone. I had no idea I was so missed. [Smile]
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
And there was much rejoicing.

*yay*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
!

Welcome back!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Jon Boy*

Hey, I'm minoring in Linguistics - we'll have lots of fun language stuff to talk about. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.