FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » I am off to college (A Landmark)

Author Topic: I am off to college (A Landmark)
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that 825 is not a usual landmark, but it seems like turning 18 and heading off to college is.

All through elementary school and even high school I have wanted to grow up as fast as possible. I wanted to be 16 so I could drive. Or I wanted to be 18 so I wouldn’t have to go to school any more. Although I wanted to grow up fast, I never thought it would really happen. It always seemed like an unattainable goal. A part of me always thought that I would be a kid. Graduating high school and proving my illusions wrong has been a surreal experience. It has made me realize that I really will grow older. I will become old one day. And the most odd thing is that growing old really is better then the alternative.

I have always been terrified of death. It has always seemed like a cruel joke to make human beings love life so much, but to also make them so fragile that it could end at any moment.

On my trip overseas this summer I sat down and wrote down my goals. I thought I would share some of them.
-To become successful in a career. Right now I think it will be music, but regardless of what it turns out to be I would like to be accomplished in my field.
-To make the most of my relationships with my friends and family. My dad said that when he looks at his life the most rewarding things have been his relationships with his loved ones. I would like this to be true for me as well.
-To travel. As often and for as long as possible
-To have a long committed relationship with someone I love.
-To do something to help the world. This one is a bit trickier. I don’t know if this will be joining the peace core, or volunteering at a local hospital, or finding the cure for AIDS. I do know that I want to do something.
-To eat good food, drink good drinks, and generally enjoy myself.

Tomorrow I leave for college. I don't know what it will be like, or if I will like it, but I know that I will try to make the most of it.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Allegra. You goals sound pretty marvelous.
Good luck with College, I hope you have a great time.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Allegra! Keep in touch!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good goals. [Smile] Good luck with them, and with college! [Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun! College is a good time [Smile]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... good luck! Let me know how it goes... You can give me some tips when I start off =/
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Allegra, you'll do wonderful things. I can't wait to hear about how your life unfolds! Isn't it exciting? [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.