FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Kat's 20,000th: Now with Matt's 568th landmark post. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Kat's 20,000th: Now with Matt's 568th landmark post.
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pool cues? Power hockey?
[Smile]

Oh, and the Good N Plenty will be mine too. [Smile]

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Matt asked me to marry him.
Congradulations! I am so happy for you. See...Hatrack is good for you! I will see if I can make it to 20,000 posts. Maybe I will get cast in an Ender sequel.

[The Wave] For you!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was the Tolberone. *sheepish*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'll send both [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Look, someone needs to come in here and make fun of this whole 'missing the top third' of the wedding dress stuff, or I'll be making raunchy jokes in a bloody engagement thread and that's crass even for me!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I would enjoy weddings a lot more if more brides were missing the top third of their dress. You'd need a different kind of photographer, though.

(happy?)

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Katie. I am so incredibly happy for you.

I always knew that you'd find someone that fit who would love all your many sides. And you do look great together.

Bountiful is beautiful in August.

Best wishes.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh YAY!!!! That's one of the happiest, nicest, most wonderful landmarks EVER. Kat, I can't tell you how happy I am for you!! And how lucky YOU are, Matt!

Thank you for the lovely Valentine's Day gift, you two. I'm going to go kiss my husband and remember our courtship now. [Big Grin]

(And for wedding dresses, I think I did well by getting mine at a secondhand wedding dress consignment shop in Denver in the midst of a blinding snowstorm. It was *exactly* what I wanted and fit me as if it had been made for me, even down to the length. It was perfect.)

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, happy day!
Oh, Kat, I am all teary and tingly!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hugs* Me too. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] Oh, thank you for your congratulations, everyone. I've been floating. [Smile] [Smile]

I hope this makes it okay that I couldn't come up and visit last fall. That NYC trip was the one where I was going to take a little tour of New England. That's still a plan to do at some point - I'm moving to D.C., and that's much, much closer. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

I'm slightly amazed I'm writing this. I've been around Hatrack for a long time – my first post was in the "OSC, I challenge thee" thread, which seemed to bring a lot of lurkers out of the woodwork – but although I have for years consistently skimmed the board at least a couple of times a week, once participated in a fluff thread, and even got into one or two rumbles, I've never considered myself a jatraquero.

I make this point to emphasize that the series of events that led to the posting of this thread seem to me nothing short of miraculous. (Though Katie will tell you the over-frequent use of the word 'blessing' rankles my theology.)

Some of you may remember that almost two years ago my sister married Katie's cousin. (And yes, this is a source of perpetual hilarity to all those appearing on the guest list we've borrowed from them.) I by then had been around here long enough to stop and look quizzically at the address on the envelope that I was helping my now-brother-in-law stuff. In fact, it seemed odd enough that it provoked my first Hatrack thread, which was, I believe, the first interaction that Katie and I ever had.

Katie didn't come to the wedding. Her uncle, though, talked her up to me, which led to a couple of frantically awkward moments in the back of my head.

Do I tell him that I know everything he's telling me about his niece from reading an internet message board? No. Probably not a good idea.

Flash forward a year. Katie needed help with a script. I am currently in grad school, which means that my summers are fully stocked with cubicle-oriented internships. I was looking for something interesting. I also used to make movies when I was an undergrad. So I emailed her, read the script, and liked it. And I liked her.

I sent her poetry. *eek*

She liked it. *yay*

(or said she did, I guess. hm.)

After a couple of weeks, I would try to stop by my computer around five thirty, Dallas time, when Katie would write me – about the movie, about books, about . . . Well, on one hand, it mattered a great deal what it was about, because she is bright and fierce and funny and interesting on a thousand different topics (it is known), and more, she *cares.* She cares about the search for what is important about life, and she cares about whether Paul Giamatti will win an Oscar. The two on their own are rare enough; together they are exceptional. So on one hand it mattered, but on the other hand, it didn't matter at all. Katie is extraordinary; she lives and feels with passion, and if she had written me a thousand words about the layout of the cubicles at Boy Scout headquarters, by the middle of August I would have read it three times immediately and then again the next morning.

In August, she dropped hints that she was going to New York in October. I live in DC, a four hour bus ride south. By the end of September, I decided to close my eyes and step off the cliff like Indiana Jones.

We met at the steps of the Met at 2:30 in the afternoon on October 29. I got there a little early and saw her cross beneath me at the foot of the stairs. I came up behind her and said, "Katie." It was the first word I had ever spoken to her. And she turned around and smiled and she was radiant.

She was a step ahead of me as we went up the stairs, and I don't quite consciously remember making the decision – which perhaps indicates how natural it seemed – but I reached out and took her hand.

Right after I did it, I thought – wait, maybe this is a bit too forward – but in a moment of sheer amazement that I still can't quite believe, I realized that she didn't even seem surprised.

Katie told me once that she considers the Hatrack community her family. I guess I'm here to say – and I'm not sure who or what to say it to – but, thank you, and I treasure her as much as you all know she deserves.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

And here I thought I was special because both me and my wife posted on Hatrack on our honeymoon.....

::pouts::

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattB:Do I tell him that I know everything he's telling me about his niece from reading an internet message board? No. Probably not a good idea.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this. [Big Grin]

Congrats, you two. I hope you will be deliriously happy together. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually is a 20K landmark, if you combine your post counts.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, guys. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome [Smile] Congrats!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe we're already on the second page and no one's added a [Party] yet.

Super Congratulations! to both of you...

Thank you for giving me the best warm fuzzy I've had all Valentines Day.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Yay for you guys! [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to add my Congrats! (Katie already got them by email, but this extends them to Matt [Wink] )

Hope you both have many years of love and learning ahead. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so happy you have found each other. You both look so in love [Smile]

Yay! [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking how lucky Matt is, but after reading that, I'm thinking how lucky kat is too.

Congratulations you two from someone else who got engaged in DC!

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin]

Congratulations!!

And a big *awwwwwwwwwwwwww*.

You guys are so cute. That's fantastic news. You've made my morning. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always felt that the perfect match was someone with whom you could be entirely yourself, warts and all, and still feel completely comfortable with each other and love each other. [Smile] I love it when that happens.

Congratulations! [Party]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been waiting for this for weeks and weeks.

I was even a tad suspicious that y'all were already engaged . . . but told myself I was just being paranoid.

A month?!? [No No]

But I guess you're forgiven, considering the circumstances. [Wink]

I wish you much joy, happiness, and bliss. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy for you, Kat. Good stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congratulations Kat and Matt, you two are great people, and deserve happiness together for eternity. [Smile]
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, both of you. That's great news. You look lovely together, too.
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

quote:
I've been thinking how lucky Matt is,
Me too.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww! That's sweet. I guess there will be no harming of Matt necessary. [Big Grin] That's a good thing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah. I picked a good day to be browsing this board!

Congrats you two [Smile] Much happiness to you both.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please tell me (PM or email) what Kat's name is so I can get first dibs on the registry gear?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It is in here.

Her first name is the same, and the last name was mentioned in MattB's first thread there. [Big Grin]

Although it won't be that for long now. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, she'll be KatieB. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

What a great story. Glad it's just the prologue [Smile]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a while to find the registrys because I searched for Katie P... and it was Katherine.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful thread to read. I only regret I was too sick to read it yesterday, on Valentine's Day.

My congratulations to you both. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are they registered? Did I miss a link somewhere?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bed, Bath, & Beyond
Tar-jay [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I hope this makes it okay that I couldn't come up and visit last fall. That NYC trip was the one where I was going to take a little tour of New England. That's still a plan to do at some point - I'm moving to D.C., and that's much, much closer"

You are SO forgiven!
And now, you will be an east coaster.
Oh, my.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, you two.

And hurry up and bring forth a son who likes older, intelligent, beautiful women. ;-P

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You'd need a different kind of photographer,
You mean the type that takes mammograms?

And congrats you guys. We are going to have quite the Metro DC clump come summer.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*beams* Thank you. I'm still kind of floaty.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie!!

I am *so* excited for you. Do you know who's moving where? If it's out here, to DC, well...we have to have lunch. At least once.

Congratulations [Big Grin]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.