FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Kat's 20,000th: Now with Matt's 568th landmark post. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Kat's 20,000th: Now with Matt's 568th landmark post.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kasie, she said above that she's moving there, so I guess you'll have to have lunch! [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we'll have to. This is going to be great. [Smile] [Smile]

Matt lives in Falls Church right now, and we are looking for jobs/places around Crystal City and Pentagon City. Is that anywhere near you?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Two Jatraqueros living in (the) Crystal City?

Sounds perfect.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
*beams* Thank you. I'm still kind of floaty.

You'll probably be floaty for one or two more years. Dopamine is like that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat's moving to Northern Virginia?

Very cool! [Cool]

Edit: changed because...

[ February 15, 2006, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
... I'm not naive enough
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Laugh]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
you can't point at nothing, dags
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful news! Warm good wishes to the both of you! Aunt Kristine's secret breeding program is one step closer to fulfillment. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Congrats you two! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie,

I live downtown, in Foggy Bottom (orange & blue lines, if you're familiar with the metro map). Crystal City/Pentagon City is only a few miles outside and is also on the metro system; Falls Church is farther out but, again, also on the metro. Sorry I missed the bit about you moving to DC...guess I got ahead of myself wanting to post [Big Grin]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you. I hope your wedding day is wonderful. I wish you a long and happy marriage.

I hope this isn't being rude, but I have to ask, and I don't think I've seen anyone mention it just yet. What is the center stone in the engagement ring? I ask because I love gemstones. And, I love it when an engagement ring has a centered stone other than a white diamond. (Not that there is anything wrong with a white diamondn mind you.)

On my monitor, it seems too much on the blue-green side to be a sapphire, but there are sapphires of that color. I have seen blue diamonds of that color. Another stone that would match that color is a London Blue Topaz, which are just simply vibrant.

May I compliment MattB on a beautiful choice.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be moving to Georgetown (or somewhere in that area) this summer. Even if I don't, Richmond is only 2 hours South. We'll definitely have to have a Virginia/DC get-together.

Do you have your somethings old, new, borrowed, and blue? How about your sixpence?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
What ever happened to that Snake Story? Did I miss it, or has it just not been told yet?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh - wrong thread, I think.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with so many Jatraqueros in DC, we're going to have to have a DC Con. This should be fun!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni and I may be taking her mom to DC this summer to see the memorials.

We aren't sure yet thoguh, and probaby won't be sure for a few months. [Big Grin]

Matt, we will have to play some pool if we get to meet up. I use to be good, although I am out of pratice. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about your sixpence?
I thought it was a ha'penny. At least, that's what my grandma gave me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

We are definitely going to need to do a DC con. [Smile]

The center stone is a blue diamond. Those appear naturally, although I think they radiated this one to make it change color. The color depends on what trace elements are in the stone. I didn't want a clear diamond, because I love colored stones, but most of them are too fragile to really hold up to the beating a constantly-worn ring gets. I have an emerald ring my mother gave me with three little emeralds on it, and the stones have fallen out many times.

The ring we bought together from a place with the hilarious motto of "Decent rocks at reasonable prices." No "High quality", but "Decent rocks." *amused* Despite the low aspirations of their advertising, the people were wonderful and the saleslady was so sweet in helping us finding something. The stone was in a different setting, and my setting wasn't intended to be a bridal ring, I don't think.

It's hard to tell what it looks like in the picture - I'll try to get a better picture. The band has channel-set diamonds going down each side, and when the diamonds stop, the band is filligreed (sp?).

There's not a matching band, and I since the sides of the band are filigreed as well, I don't think I want a band that fits too tightly. Matt said the jeweler said we'd have to get one custom-made, but since I want two seperate rings, it will be a plain band and shouldn't be too hard. [Smile]

quote:
Do you have your somethings old, new, borrowed, and blue? How about your sixpence?
I haven't even thought about those things yet. *thinks* My mother had some pearls, and I think I am going to ask to wear them, so that will take care of the old. My dress will be new. Maybe an aunt or a grandmother has some earrings I could borrow? Blue...the diamond in my ring is blue, but there should be something else, I think. Any ideas?

What is the sixpence? I haven't heard of that. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I know a great jeweler in Northern Virginia. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad I don't actually remember whether I had my old, new, borrowed, and blue?

Thinking... I had my own antique sapphire earrings (given to me by my grandparents). They were my old and blue.

I also had new (the dress - 3 day before wedding! But also a lace heart made by a family friend to go around my bouquet). But I don't think I had borrowed.

Hmmm. But I have been happily married for over a year now, so I guess we're doing ok. [Smile]

Kat - I think a plain band will work beautifully with your ring. Will you get yellow gold or white gold?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Something old, something new,
something borrowed, something blue
and a lucky sixpence in her shoe.

Mom brought along the sixpence from her wedding but forgot to give it to me while we were getting ready so I didn't actually have one. Ooops.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

You can get the sixpence online for next to nothing - http://www.weddingdepot.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/480

My garter had a blue band around it, which covered my something blue. A lot of them come that way.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Katie and MattB! I have just got back from Paris so I missed this until today. I am thrilled to bits for both of you!
[Party]

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, I was always told,
"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a ha'penny in your shoe." My grandma lent me the one from her wedding (which took place in Liverpool), so it was my old, borrowed, and ha'penny. [Smile]

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized I didn't congratulate Matt in my post!
[Blushing]

Congratulations, Matt [Smile]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know . . . I was in such a heavy, blue mood tonight--and this is the most incredibly HAPPY thread I've read in ages! Congrats to katharina and MattB!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Um, is a ha'penny different from a sixpence? I'm terrible with foreign currency.

BTW, where's the honeymoon?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha'penny = half a penny.
Sixpence = six pennies.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I was thinking about how to incorporate those traditions.

I need to apparently put six pennies in my shoe, or else cut a penny in half. Maybe I can involve some train tracks.

I can't wear them during the actual wedding. I'll be in all white in the temple, so no blue, and no jewelry. It's possible that I won't even be wearing that big white dress I picked up yesterday (three months my left foot), because there is a train and, uh, petticoats involved.

Petticoat is an inherently funny word.

However, we will be exchanging rings and there will be some marching and Matt is lobbying for a little person to carry the train, although it would have to be quite a little person because it's not THAT big of a train, and so maybe I could put the change in my shoe then.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, (and Matt) we'll have to get together when you get to NoVA. I'm less than 2 hours from DC. If we get a DC con on, I'm all over it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
and Matt is lobbying for a little person to carry the train, although it would have to be quite a little person because it's not THAT big of a train,
That is SO ADORABLE!!! I'm with Matt on this one. [Big Grin]
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Matt is lobbying for a little person to carry the train
I'm assuming this means "child" and not an actual "little person."
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Children are little people, too. Just not Little People. [Wink]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's possible that I won't even be wearing that big white dress I picked up yesterday (three months my left foot), because there is a train and, uh, petticoats involved.
Does your dress have some way to "tie up" the train for dancing? Mine did, so I was able to wear it in the temple. I don't remember petticoats being a problem either. The only problem was the length of the dress, which was perfect for my 2.5" heels but too long without them. I kept thinking I was going to trip. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dress had no train but was a little long without the heels, too. I solved that by holding it up while I walked. [Smile]
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
This calls for a Huzzah!

Huzzah!

[Hat]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Big smile for the whole thread!!!!! Congratulations! [Big Grin]

What's this about no jewelry during the wedding? You can certainly wear your engagement ring, right? I never heard of anyone who couldn't - and actually, I've never paid enough attention to take off my jewelry in the temple. Except maybe big bulky colorful things. But rings? I always wear them. And if your stone is blue that oughta count.

I just wanted to say I loved this:
quote:
I've always felt that true love is when both people feel like they got the better end of the deal.
That made me feel wonderful, because it's how hubby and I have both always felt. And it's good to know there's a way to quantify our "true love".
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My dress had a train that had the hook and eyes that kept the train up. It was no problem in the temple.

My ring has a perido and two sapphires and I don't take it off in the temple.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jenna, I took off my engagement ring in the Temple to be sealed, although I leave my wedding ring on if I wore it there (I sometimes forget since I don't wear it inside my home.) They symbolize different things to me. I also take off earrings other than plain silver or gold balls or pearl studs; just got in the habit of those being the only ones I could wear in uniform in AFJROTC and I kinda got in the habit of considering all other earrings more "ostentatious", so to me, as a personal feeling, I feel better taking off anything more than that at the Temple. [Smile] But I totally never notice whether people are wearing jewelry or not while I'm there, other than myself; it's just part of my own personal ritual of preparing myself to "leave the world" for a while.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Matt lives in Falls Church right now"

Kat, Donna the Buffalo plays some of their best shows in Falls Church...

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He’s so brilliant, and he doesn’t let me get away with anything. And he loves me. I’m in awe. He takes care of me, but not in the shield from life sense. He takes care of me by making me safe and comfortable and happy and loved, and with that strength I can do everything else.
quote:
I think the most amazing part is that I don't have to...bury any part of myself in order for us to get along. Matt's seen all the different flavors of Katie, including the not-as-nice Arguing Katie, and he likes all of me. I think...I think I would have been a great deal less worried when I was younger if I had known that it was possible for someone to fit me. I think there is someone for everyone, and that's worth waiting for.
Katie, this is wonderful. Wonderful, wonderful!

I am so very very happy for you and Matt.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Kat, Donna the Buffalo plays some of their best shows in Falls Church...
Where? We've lived and will live again in Falls Church. I want to make sure to catch them next time.

[ February 18, 2006, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness! Many happy congrats to Kat and Matt! [Group Hug]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag,
They have played at the State Theater.
Here is the show they played last fall, with an MP3 doenload:
http://donnabase.com/TapeDetail.cfm?TapeID=883

Kat, seriously, I am so glad you are going to be within semi-visiting distance! Plus, Dag needs to be real!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I want to plan a DC Con - maybe for late August? Elizabeth, when does school start for you? Is that terribly inconvenient for anyone?

Heck, if I get a job anytime soon, it could be sooner than that. [Smile] Matt will (most likely) be in D.C. for a seminar for two months at the beginning of the summer, so if I can get a job before then, it's entirely likely that I will be alone in D.C. for a little bit before the wedding. That sounds like a great time for the first visit with everyone. [Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep me posted. Lunch is on me. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
And by "in DC for a seminar," Katie of course means, "in Utah for a seminar." [Smile]
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

August is good - after the bar exam, before I start working. It's very hot in D.C. then, but there's lots to do.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.