FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » The Oregon Trail... or This Pilgrim is Going Home. A Landmark? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Oregon Trail... or This Pilgrim is Going Home. A Landmark?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what my mom told me when she called this morning. One day after I leave Oregon, it snows. Lousy timing. [Frown]

Have fun in the snow! [Smile]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! Snow down here! Yay.

I have to drive in it to get to school, though. Not so yay.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Happy Camper! [Wave] (previous page)

Wow - haven't seen you around these parts in ages, it seems. How have you been?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, hiya. Haven't posted in a while. I'm not sure why, just didn't have much to say. I'm good.

Oh, and of course, it snows 2 days after I essentially say I don't believe it ever actually snows here. You wouldn't really know it's been snowing for at least the last 3 hours by looking out the window though.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to look up radar and see kinda where in Oregon this is (since I'm not familiar with the state at all.....) is this near Salem? It's still snowing?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
The Willamette Valley is where the snow is, I think. So, between Portland and Eugene-ish is probably where the snow is happening (I don't know exactly - I haven't looked at any radar maps).
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we are nera Salem, and it is still snowing. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear y'all are moved in. I'd love to see pictures of the property sometime. Do y'all plan to give it a name?

BTW, I'd definitely choose chickens over goats any day. However, I'd just start with hens. You'll have eggs and you won't have to listen to a rooster crow. They don't just crow at dawn - they crow all day long. All night, too. That's one thing I don't miss about living in rural GA, the stupid roosters.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do y'all plan to give it a name?
Home.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you have very small children, a herding dog (such as an Australian Shepherd) may take to "herding" the kids as they toddle around. Nothing to worry about, though.

Oh, yes, it is to worry about. I've had a bunch of Australian Shepherds and Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers). The dogs herd instinctively by nipping the heels of the animals. With humans, sometimes that means they grab a leg and go. I had one Australian cattle dog that caused every pair of my jeans to have a multitude of holes from the knees down. One pulled my right leg out from under me at the top of a hill. I love my dogs, but I don't turn my back on them, and I wouldn't have them around kids. We don't allow them to be alone with the cattle, as they will run them nearly to death. One of our neighbors had to shoot one that kept chasing his sheep. These dogs are really smart, and can be trained, but left unsupervised can be destructive. The one we have now chews up aluminum cans and leaves the shredded aluminum all over the lawn. Also, he herds cars, and tears off mudflaps and bites tires flat.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They don't just crow at dawn - they crow all day long. All night, too. That's one thing I don't miss about living in rural GA, the stupid roosters.
This is truth.

I can hear the roosters - which are at least a mile away, by the way - all the live long night. Where'd I put those earplugs again?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the sheer luck (Haha) to rent an apartment, in the middle of Rio de Janeiro, in front of a mall, in a very busy street...and there is a neighboring house where the owner raise...chicken and roosters. And it is...just...behind...my bedroom. I may take to shoot noisy roosters for sport.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But do you really want to get chickens just as winter is coming on? Also, are Chickens really animals, or are they more like plants? If you wait until spring, you can have baby chics! Awwww...
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I have decided to adopt the wether (neutered male goat.) I figure he will be a "practice" livestock animal for me. He will be relatively easy to care for, and if I mess up, it won't have huge reprocussions. That means chickens will come in late spring. [Smile]

Plus, when I am ready to get a dairy goat, I will feel less need to get two just to keep each other company. Really, this guy should have a companion too, but the home he will have with me won't be any more lonely than the one he is leaving.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Snowball is here! Our darling goat is here! [Smile]

We'd been talking to the owners of Snowball and let them know that we did want to adopt him, and they were going to come by sometime this week. I was in the shower, and Princess Peach bursts in jubilantly, "Mom! Our very first farm animal is HERE!"

What a cutie he is. I'm so glad that our place is already well set up to accomodate his needs. He will be a *great* practice livestock animal for our family. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Snowball. Will he get a screen name here?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
All the Simpson cats were named Snowball.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Oh dear! Only here a few hours and already he got his head stuck in the gate! He has horns, so it was particularly tricky. I don't know if he is able to learn from his mistakes in this instance or if it will keep happening. [Frown]

If Snowball gets a screen name, I think it should be Silly Billy. [Smile]

I think I will take him on a walk with my kids. That sounds like fun for all. (He has a leash.)

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh dear! Only here a few hours and already he got his head stuck in the gate! He has horns, so it was particularly tricky. I don't know if he is able to learn from his mistakes in this instance or if it will keep happening.
It will keep happening, probably every day.

Please don't let your kids near him for a while (or at all, if I were you). Goats with horns are not safe around children. Even just playing, they can easily injure the children with their horns. They can injure each other, too, as well as other animals.

beverly, can you return the goat? I feel that I have to tell you that I think you have made a huge mistake in getting a goat with horns. I grew up around goats and we always debudded them. Always.

If you don't want to return him (which my conscience compells me to keep urging), please be aware that a horned goat is not a pet and make your children very aware of this, too. They should know to never, ever go near the goat without you or mph (or other approved adults).

I know I'm coming on a little strong, but I'm worried about you and the kids.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

OK, Mrs. M. Thanks for the warning. I will keep it in mind.
beverly
Member # 6246

I wanted to share some of my recent experiences.

This last week I went to visit Abundant Life Farms, where they practice sustainable farming similar to the kinds of things that I want to do, though on a bigger scale than I intend to. I enjoyed what I saw and admired their efforts. They are following in the footsteps of Joel Salatin, the owner of Polyface Farms.

They actually worked on his farm for a time to learn from him. They have put some of his methods into practice, though they have found that some of the things he does just aren't practical for our location and climate. It seemed that every time I asked them about one of his practices that they hadn't been able to get to work out, there was a faint tone of defeat in their voices. But it just drove home all the more that sustainable farming is far too "organic" and complex a creature to work uniformly well for everyone. It takes ingenuity, creativity, and finding what works for you. It seemed they were doing great things, and I was pleased with their work.

And their animals seemed truly happy. Abundant Life was producing enough to sell to others, but not enough to be considered industrial. All the animals had space and green fields available to them and were in supurb health. I decided to buy some of their products and bring home a bit of all the basics: eggs, beef, pork, and chicken.

What an enourmous chicken! 6 pounds! We roasted it for Sunday dinner yesterday and it was so tasty! The flavor was stronger than ordinary grocery store chicken, so chicken-y and wonderful! And I was happy to know that the chicken I ate had been raised humanely under conditions I had seen for myself.

Today was another kind of experience. I participated in the slaughter, skinning, and evisceration of 6 rabbits. My brother-in-law raises them, and we had requested the opportunity to participate. These rabbits were adorable furballs, and I couldn't ever bring myself to deal the killing blow. The inherent violence in the action ran too contrary to my motherly nature. I hated to see them dying.

But once they were dead, I had no difficulty with the dressing (or undressing?) of the body. I changed to a detacted fascination with the beauty of the physical forms, the complexity and functionality of it all. The entrails were one of the more beautiful things I have ever seen, odd as that may sound. They were so organized and colorful, glistening and plump. I skinned and eviscerated one all on my own. I knew that the things I was currently doing were not causing suffering, that the suffering had passed and they would not suffer again. It was definitely do-able.

But I don't know when or if I will be OK with actual killing. I washed each carcass in another area while my brother-in-law would kill the next rabbit so that I didn't have to see it suffering. By the time I returned, the head was gone and the blood mostly drained. Perhaps with time it will be nothing of consequence, I don't know.

I pondered on the words of Michael Pollan in The Omnivore's Dilemma when he participated in the slaughter and butchering of chickens. He didn't know what was more disturbing, the fact that he was killing a living thing, or the fact that after awhile it wasn't disturbing anymore. I thought as I went back to my children that I nurture everyday, my precious one-year-old infant, do I have blood on my hands? Do I have any more blood on my hands than anyone who eats a hamburger? I felt that if I was going to be a meat eater, I needed to face the reality of the cost involved. Life, pain. Surely these rabbits got a better deal from us than they get from the coyote or the hawk. Plentiful food, care, safety, the opportunity to procreate and a quick, relatively humane death. But sadly, most of the meat we eat gets a far, far worse deal. From birth to death is living hell for chickens and pigs. Beef cattle at least get some time on pasture.

Since I am a meat-eater, I'm getting to the point where, in spite of my distaste for it, I would rather kill the animal myself than support industrialized meat production. My willingness to do the killing myself also stems from my extreme desire for thrift. Food grown this way is certainly expensive! Maybe someday industrialized food will find a way to remove all animal suffering and raise them in Matrix-esque wombs. Not that I like that idea. Until that day, industrialized meat production leads to sick, crowded, miserable animals by necessity. Now that I know this, I feel morally responsible for how I respond.

The experience with the rabbits certainly didn't harm my appetite, as I hungrily savored the leftovers from last night's roast chicken. I sat down and watched a sweet, innocent movie with my children. In a few nights, we will dine on rabbit for the first time.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had the sheer luck (Haha) to rent an apartment, in the middle of Rio de Janeiro, in front of a mall, in a very busy street...and there is a neighboring house where the owner raise...chicken and roosters. And it is...just...behind...my bedroom. I may take to shoot noisy roosters for sport.
I feel your pain.

Keep us updated with your scorecard, eh? [Razz]

quote:
I felt that if I was going to be a meat eater, I needed to face the reality of the cost involved.
I agree with this sentiment. I've killed chickens. Not my most favorite experience in the world, and it does get easier after the first time, but still one I would do again.

I think that if I'm not willing to kill my meat/dress it/at least know what all that entails, then I really shouldn't be eating it.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.