FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » 1001 landmark

Author Topic: 1001 landmark
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to participate in this tradition, as many have done before, because I really enjoy coming to this forum.

For those of you who still might not know me, I'll offer a short autobiography. My name is Andy and I was born in Columbia, South Carolina on November 30, 1984. I grew up in Blacksburg, VA, and ended up going to college near there. My parents both graduated from Bob Jones University and raised me as a baptist. My father was an avid member of the John Birch Society, and I was raised in a very conservative home. I found Ender's Game and Ender became an inspiration for me as one of the "smart, misunderstood kids" in high school. I went to a liberal arts college and found myself majoring in music instead of computer science. I also became disillusioned with my church and my conservative upbringing. My political views took a full pendulum swing in the other direction, and that's about when I found hatrack.

I mention my political views because I learned more HERE about life, politics, and people--than I ever did in the real world, and I feel like my pendulum is closer to the middle now.

If I remember right, my first post was an angry, childish, and ill-thought out response to one of OSC's articles (we don't see that very often at ALL do we?). The responses I got immediately knocked me down a few notches, because I knew that "these people were smarter than I was". I took that as an opportunity to lurk and learn. Over these past two years, Hatrack has been instrumental in teaching me to think before I speak, question what I hear (always checking sources), and how to keep an open mind. My writing and "logic skills" have also gotten much better, though I still feel like a child compared to many of the minds here (it takes me a while to put a post together).

I graduated with a B.S. in music studying piano and voice (and music theory, composition, education, conducting, technology...) which is why it's B.S. instead of a B.M.--I never nailed down a concentration. I'm currently studying piano technology (tuning/rebuilding) in Boston, MA and loving it. I've met Scott and Kristine Card twice now and found them absolutely charming both times.

My hobbies include: chess, tennis, poker, computers (both PC and Mac), doing things outside, being a sci-fi/fantasy geek.

I don't list music under hobbies because it's really bigger than that in my life. I have lots of it and listen to it constantly, and am always amazed by it.

I'll probably still post sparingly, because I find lurking much less work. I'd like to thank those who do post often, though--I have a whole lot of respect for the "pillars" of this community because they care about it and make me want to care about it, too. Thanks to the Cards for maintaining the site, and to Pop for monitoring. Thanks to all of you for the learning experience, the chance to make friends, and for helping me feel like I belong to a community.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for telling us a bit more about yourself. I'm glad you stuck around! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the landmark Launch. It's good to meet you, formally?

[Smile]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo that, thanks for the lowdown. I didn't realize you were my age. It's so hard to guess age based on posting, but I always thought you were a bit older than me. I'm glad you hung around too.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
computers (both PC and Mac)
Hey, throw Linux some love too! [Big Grin]

Glad to hear your tale Launchy, thanks for posting the 'mark. [Smile]

I have to say my experience coming here was very similar to yours. Though I came here I think somewhat younger than you did. I came here when I was 17, and quickly learned that people here for the most part were smarter, more knowledgeable, more articulate, more experienced and wiser than I was. I've spent the last four years learning to be more like them [Smile] I still have a long way to go.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember your first post, and I remember being the one to respond to it... as I recall. I'd forgotten about that. It's funny that of all hatrackers you would be the first one I'd meet in person.

I should say that in subsequent discussions, you've been able to put me in my place a time or two when I needed to reign it in, so it's not that I think I was always the "mastah" and you the "grasshoppah."

I also had pretty much the same experience when first posting- I responded kind of ignorantly and aggressively to something Icarus posted- which I probably did because I had no notion of what other people reading and really thinking about what I had to say really meant. It amazed me that I was so comprehensively "put in my place." I still think, on that issue, that I was right... but I might as well have been wrong.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if most hatrackers start out that way... at least first time forum-goers.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post.

Although I didn't have the first experience with a aggressive post, I still feel that hatrack is an amazing forum with people much more intelligent than I am who are willing to discuss anything and everything. That's why I keep coming back.

And I didn't know you were in Boston. I'm originally from the north shore, although I'm going to be spending the summer in DC. We should have a Bostoncon at some point. It'd be nice to meet people from around there.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I went a gathering in Boston, and some of those people came to my Hatrack Picnic in Western Mass a few years a go. Both were very fun. It is a really diverse and interesting group of people there....adn I sure you would have fun.

Good Landmark, Launchy. Glad you stuck around long enough to tell it.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for so kindly providing the ammunition with which we can destroy you. WAHAHAHA! [Evil Laugh]

I'm always glad to read landmarks, it helps me get a better feel for each individual who posts here. I remember initially being lost in a sea of voices and being totally unable to tell many hatrackers stated beliefs without having them retold to me. I've yet to totally rectify that problem.

Thanks for the landmark though, music is pretty tip top stuff if you ask me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I remember initially being lost in a sea of voices and being totally unable to tell many hatrackers stated beliefs without having them retold to me. I've yet to totally rectify that problem.

Well, as a Zorastrian Polygamist French speaking racist, NRA member, Green Party supporting, Hippie, hemophiliac, narcissist with Crone's disease, I find that no one ever understands me.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Crone's disease
*snicker*

And here I thought you were a guy.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.