FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » On Ten Years at Hatrack (My First Landmark)

Author Topic: On Ten Years at Hatrack (My First Landmark)
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Today marks my 10th anniversary of joining the Hatrack River Forum. Or, to be precise, ten years ago today I joined the "new forum", the then-newfangled UBB forum software that was to supplant the Big Mouth Lion section of Hatrack River. I remember names like D. Michael Martindale, Morgan Majors, and Tom Davidson from that time.

I discovered the old BML forums on hatrack.com during my freshman year in college. I guess my coursework wasn't keeping me busy enough. I'd heard about OSC's home on AOL (back in the dark days), and I think I'd even visited it once or twice, but this was the first time I participated. The first thing I did when I found Hatrack was read through all of the archived posts. Yep, all of them. I was fascinated: here were people passionately discussing topics that I had barely even thought about before; they disagreed, they attempted to persuade each other and as a rule failed, and yet they still came back for more. And they were civil. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

I don't remember if I ever even posted on the old forum. I think I did. For a while the new and old forums were running concurrently, and there was a push to migrate over, which was met with some dissension in the ranks. Not having a whole lot to hold on to in the old forum, I was an early adopter in the new. Eventually the old forum's accounts were migrated en masse[1].

I was young and inexperienced, and I thought I knew a lot. I was smart. And so I got into a couple of minor clashes in the early days of the new forum. Of course I failed to change any minds, which was discouraging in a way. I became a lurker, only popping out in the occasional fluff thread, and there were many long gaps during which I wouldn't even visit the site (I guess my coursework was on the heavier side at times). Once in a while I would see a comment that I absolutely had to respond to, but half the time I'd just discard my half-written post. There were threads on who was the lurkiest lurker five or six years ago, and I'd always be near the top.

But then something happened. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it had to do with letting go of the need to be 100% right and accurate about everything I said. It was gradual. But I began to post more, and not just in the fluff threads. I got into a few arguments and came out unscathed. (I don't get into many arguments anymore — I think I'm too reasonable [Wink] — but that's another post.)

A whole lot's happened in my life in the last ten years (shocker!), but Hatrack has been a solid undercurrent throughout. It's hard to imagine where I would be without Hatrack's influence; I can say with some confidence that I'm in a better place because of it. Thank you all!

-----

[1] I did some detective work some time ago, and here's what appears to have happened: from September 15, 1998 through April 23, 1999, thirteen names were registered (Tod OConnell Robot D Clifty Steve Benson Henrik Nilsson Troubadour yossarian Mike Karl Mueller Shogun Stephen K STEPHEN SYWAK Yozh). Notice the member numbers are out of order. That's because some time between April 23 and May 14 a mess of names were brought over from the old forum, probably 108 of them, though for some reason only 72 remain. These are the ones whose registration dates are "A Long Time Ago!". After this migration, the names were alphabetized, case-sensitive: Aaron through Yozhik, then ak through yossarian. My guess is that the old forums were shut down on May 14, 1999, as there is a large influx of new accounts starting that day, and these accounts begin right at the end of the alphebetized accounts.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Today marks my 10th anniversary of joining the Hatrack River Forum.

:: lifts a glass ::

quote:
I remember names like D. Michael Martindale, Morgan Majors, and Tom Davidson from that time.
It was something that D. Michael posted that finally spurred me to register after a month or so of lurking.

quote:
The first thing I did when I found Hatrack was read through all of the archived posts. Yep, all of them.
[Smile] I did the exact same thing. When I discovered the place BML had been closed, but not for very long. The forums on that software were still readable.

quote:
I was fascinated: here were people passionately discussing topics that I had barely even thought about before; they disagreed, they attempted to persuade each other and as a rule failed, and yet they still came back for more. And they were civil. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.
[Smile] That's such a great description of it. In my case I thought that I'd thought through a lot of stuff that I really hadn't. It was kind of startling, realizing how shallowly explored some of my opinions were.

quote:
A whole lot's happened in my life in the last ten years (shocker!), but Hatrack has been a solid undercurrent throughout. It's hard to imagine where I would be without Hatrack's influence; I can say with some confidence that I'm in a better place because of it. Thank you all!
Nicely said, Mike.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] What a nice anniversary. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
>.>

GREAT MAKE ME FEEL STUPID! >.<

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the landmark, hopefully it will be read by other people who come across the forum. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was fascinated: here were people passionately discussing topics that I had barely even thought about before; they disagreed, they attempted to persuade each other and as a rule failed, and yet they still came back for more. And they were civil. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.
This is exactly what convinced me to join. Hopeflly I'll still be here in 10 years too.
[Party]
Congratulations!

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Thanks again, everyone. [Smile]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary, old timer. [Wink]
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo, Mike. [Smile] Happy anniversary.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
My ten years is coming up too. =D
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary, Mike! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
quote:
This is exactly what convinced me to join. Hopeflly I'll still be here in 10 years too.
[Party]
Congratulations!

I joined because I didn't believe that such a thing was actually viable. I still don't get it.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Anniversary, Mike! It's great that there are so many of us from the BML days still here - and that the things that attracted you to Hatrack in the first place are still very much in evidence even though we have grown so much in size from those days.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I joined because I didn't believe that such a thing was actually viable.

Did you assume that it'd break down into flame wars, or what?

quote:
I still don't get it.
Why not?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
From one oldie to another - Happy Anniversary! I've been here that long too but can't remember the exact day. I mostly lurk but this place has been a haven for me in some really difficult times. Thank you OSC for providing such a great place for this community to grow!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised there are so many ancients here who have posted so little. Have you all been visiting the board regularly, or have you ignored it for years at a time?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually post for awhile and when it seems like all the threads are the same, I ignore the board for awhile and come back. I do find myself lurking quite a bit, though.

Eta: I do miss ak. [Frown]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
I'm surprised there are so many ancients here who have posted so little. Have you all been visiting the board regularly, or have you ignored it for years at a time?

My first sn was around member number 1500, and my total post count is probably around 1300. I went into a pretty heavy lurker mode for a few years.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

ak is still here, she just posts under a different name.

quote:
Originally posted by Wendybird:
Thank you OSC for providing such a great place for this community to grow!

I'll echo that. I hope he continues to do so for a long time to come.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by BelladonnaOrchid:

Eta: I do miss ak. [Frown]

She's posting under the name Tatiana, these days, and is still fairly active.
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:

I've been a lurker my whole life. I was the kid on the sidelines on the playground with the book in her face [Smile] .

Old habits NEVER die.

My ten-year is coming up this year, too!

Edit to fix my rudeness: congrats on the anniversary!

[ January 27, 2009, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Sharpie ]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I myself have been here since 2000, under different names. I've forgotten about the board for several years at a time.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What names have you posted under?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I started in 2000 as well, with the name jRc. I just passed 8 years here. I would say my posting amount has gone down considerably in the last few years. I've been pretty PO'd at Hatrack a few times and have left, some times for many months, but so far I've always come back. The other posters are right--there are very few places on the intarwebs like Hatrack.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I signed up in June of '99, posting as Jake, but I didn't really allow much of my personality to come through in my posts until I adopted my current screenname.

I've never actually left Hatrack because I was angry at it. I've left because I was sick of it, or because I was spending too much time posting and felt like I was neglecting my job, or because I was depressed and it just felt like keeping up with the threads required too much energy, but never because of anger.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Whatever happened to Jettboy?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, Mike. I really enjoyed meeting you IRL, and I usually enjoy your posts here at Hatrack as well,as few as tehy are at times. [Big Grin]

I love this place, although I don;t come here or post as often as I use to, mainly for the same reasons you mentioned.

I didn't have a computer for the first 2 years I posted here, as hard as that is to believe. I used my parents computer when I went to go see them, or went to a friends....or mostly went to the library.

Several of my long held beliefs have changed over the years because of conversations that started here and my interactions with some of the people here. I have been given good practical advice on a number of occasions, but even more important I have always felt welcome here.

No matter what weird hours my lack of regular sleep provides, Hatrack is always open. I have based thousands of dollars of purchases on advice given here, fixed hundreds of computer problems, and learned completely new areas of research because of conversations I have read here.

I am glad you are still a part of this community, for all it;s changes, and I wish you another happy 10 years of posting. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary, Mike. I enjoyed reading the fruits of your research.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Grats, Mike [Smile]

I'm pretty sure Mike's the one who introduced me to hatrack our junior year of college. I used to write under Suneun but swapped to dabbler later on. Unlike him, I treaded deeply into very controversial topics early on, and am now much more lurkerish.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You ever post under any other names, Mike?

and congrats on the anniversary post!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool beans. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie:
Old habits NEVER die.

My ten-year is coming up this year, too!

Edit to fix my rudeness: congrats on the anniversary!

You'd be surprised, sometimes old habits do change. I surprise myself sometimes. I'm looking forward to more 10-year landmarks in the coming year. [Smile] And, no rudeness at all; thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I started in 2000 as well, with the name jRc.

I remember that name. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Great post, Mike. I really enjoyed meeting you IRL...

Likewise. I hope we will again one day.

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Happy anniversary, Mike. I enjoyed reading the fruits of your research.

*bows* Glad to be of service.

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I know, right?

quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
[Wave] Grats, Mike [Smile]

I'm pretty sure Mike's the one who introduced me to hatrack our junior year of college. I used to write under Suneun but swapped to dabbler later on. Unlike him, I treaded deeply into very controversial topics early on, and am now much more lurkerish.

[Wave] Yep, though I'm pretty sure you'd heard of Hatrack before I got you to join.

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
You ever post under any other names, Mike?

I have a couple of alts, but I never use 'em. I have a hard enough time keeping this account's post count up!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.