Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Special Hatrack Topics » The HUB, a litle-known Hatrack Benefit

Author Topic: The HUB, a litle-known Hatrack Benefit
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m not sure that all the potential Hatrackers visiting here understand all the benefits of belonging. Among others is that paragon of tools, the little known, but infamous Hatrack Utility Belt. Here are just some of the features of the HUB:

Proximity Alarm - for POV shifts

Hatrack Pen/Glowing Blade of Words – slices through logical conundrums with appalling ease!

Furry Dice - used to stun the reader with a superfluosity of adjectives. Sometimes called "Fuzzy Dice" by Hatrackers who have not studied the Manual.

Universal Travel Guide – Instant information for any place a Hatracker might find herself, hisself, or itself.

Spell-checker – works in the backgrond but cannot read your mind.

The Deus Ex Machina attachment – For last resort only! A glass tube about four inches long and an inch in diameter; marked "EMERGENCY USE ONLY. Does anything you want.

Geiger counter – only field tested on felines, so far.

Infinitive Splitter – Has a large blast radius. An awesome tool!

BS Detector – Everone needs one.

'Handwavium' pellets - Really useful for getting through sticky science scenes.

A bosun’s whistle to summon the The Penmanship, the Hatrack sloop.

Invisibility booster – most of us don’t need it.

The Ultimate Weapon - The ultimate weapon for a Hatracker caught in a dilemma in any thread. - A small black lock.

There may be more features, but I haven’t found them yet.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited August 24, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to start this thread! Oh well, great minds think alike and fools seldom differ.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget:

Rising Action switch - can help elevate you in a situation but be sure you can get to a safe place before you reach the top of the story arc or you'll crash to the ground

Levity Belt attachment - this should only be used in a comical situation otherwise you'll go over like a lead baloon in a serious situation

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Instant Quotations - for nailing down a point.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Oops! Forgot one!

The k d-w. - Pull it out and it throws a stern admonition that instantly sets you back on course. Make sure not to throw a KDW instead, or you will be catapulted willynilly into the future!!

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil to avoid a potentially disastrous (edited August 24, 2004).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I just have to figure out what to use to get away from Tom Swifty.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, K D W is my twin, K. D. Wentworth who is the co-ordinating judge for the Writers of the Future contest.

I'm known as k d w (lower case). The way you tell us apart is that I have brown eyes and she has blue eyes (and I'm a little taller).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: Fuzzy Dice are the furry dice "award" given to Hatrackers who clutter up otherwise clean threads with superfluous, but often hilarious, chatter.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Hatrack Ray-Gun with attachments
    Hyphenator: used to break-things-up
    Procrastinator: used to slow things down
    Punctuator: used to punch-up things that appear flat or life-less! (Works well when used with hyphenator)
    Excelerator: used to create graphs which act as webs or nets, trapping people and things until the graph is deciphered

Can't think of any more right now.

------

Also, each set of Furry Dice should come with a warning label. If you received yours without one it should read as follows:

quote:
Use with caution. Furry Dice may result in the creation of a Tom Swifty demon. This small boy grows quickly and can easily take-over your taglines, cluttering them with adjectives and said-bookisms. Tom Swifty is often dressed entirely in black and he carries a small pouch of dust to litter your lines.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Mike: Fuzzy Dice are the furry dice "award" given to Hatrackers who clutter up otherwise clean threads with superfluous, but often hilarious, chatter.

Oh, THAT's what those are for. I was using them to clean my whatsit.

OK, now wait a minute. I object. Are you sure that I deserve a pair of fuzzy dice? In this thread we have talked about:

- POV alarm - point of view shifts, and detecting them
    - Hatrack Pen/Glowing Blade of Words - cutting through logical gaps
    - Furry Dice - avoiding stringing together too many adjectives and adverbs
    - Universal Travel Guide – the importance of knowing where you stand in your writing
    - Spell-checker - recognizing the limitations of spell-checkers
    - Deus Ex Machina - keeping unrealistic solutions out of your writing, or using them only in extremis
    - Geiger counter - encouraging that creative glow (ok, so this one is a bit of a stretch)
    - Infinitive Splitter – (someone help me out here!)
    - BS Detector – maintaining credibility in your writing
    - 'Handwavium' pellets – cheating your reader by not using at least pseudo-credible science
    - Bosun’s Whistle – knowing that help is at hand at Hatrack
    - Invisibility booster – living with knowing that as a writer you will mostly be invisible to the editors
    - The Ultimate Weapon – a means for stopping a thread
    - Rising Action switch – avoiding disjunctions in story arcs
    - Levity Belt attachment – keeping levity to the appropriate minimum
    - Instant Quotations – using quotations to support your logic
    - k d-w – being able to count on our able and tireless moderator to keep our threads on track
    - Hatrack Ray-Gun with attachments – breaking up overly long concatenated phrases, the perils of slowing down and not focusing on our writing, adding punch to our writing, using graphs in creative metaphors

How better to learn, than with a chuckle? How finer to teach than with humor and a touch of silliness, to momentarily lighten the burden for crafters in a grim and toilsome trade?

BRRRRRAAAPPPPP!

Darn it! Is there somewhere to get the BS Detector calibrated? It keeps going off!! How annoying!

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Try reversing the polarity, Mike. :P
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

!!PPPPPAAAARRRRRRBBBB

dIDN'T WORK EITHER. bUT IT DID SET MY CAPLOCK TO SHOUT!

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Hmm, that's funny. It always worked for me. Ok, next idea! Take a very large monkey wrench.....
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Newly added Ray-Gun attachment:

The Incredible Coincidence generator. Shoot someone and see what happens. You'll be amazed!

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid to go over to Fragments and Feedback to see what predicament I'm in now.
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I haven't been keeping up with Rekivek...I need to print it out someday when I've got some free time.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Since we have devised yet another Hatrack device, I figured the list needed an update.

NEW
The HUB 1.2 with Disbelief Suspenders!

(ooooohhh, aaaaahhh)

These handy, dandy accessories come in a variety of colours and styles, guarenteed to match any wardrobe. Use the suspenders on their own to add enjoyment to any flight of fancy you may encounter. Or wear them with your HUB and use them to help hold-up the disbelief in your own writing.

Already own the HUB 1.1? Do you only want the Disbelief Suspenders?

Not a problem! Redeem your Hatrack points for any HUB upgrade. Including a lovely set of Furry Dice (available in jet black, Mary-Kay pink, or winter white), or, the Hatrack ray-gun and attachments.

Don't delay, get yours today!

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh ooh, I want one.

Just one question what does the red Flashy button that says "Do not push even if I tell you to?" do?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

It flashes. Redly.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Oh, good. I was afraid it was going to flash my red parts. Redly flashing is MUCH nicer, for everyone.
Dea
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I am holding my sides in laughter!

Since this is my first day here on the boards, it's my first introduction to the "HUB".

My kids are all looking at me, saying "What mommy? What's so funny?"

I laugh harder and know I can't explain this well enough for them."

| Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working on a Prose Depurple-izer attachment for it, but I had the silly thing in reverse and... well, everything's a big mess over here... Um, I'll get back with you all later.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
So THAT'S why the rug in Christine's short short was such a gosh-darned shade of purple!! *glares at Beans reproachfully*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
<Sheepishly Shrugs>
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Welcome, Dea!
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Now announcing the Orson Scott Card officially endorsed version of the Hatrack Utility Belt!

Coming soon to stores near you.

---

I used a couple of Handwavium pellets in my BootCamp story. I had hit a point where I needed to do research and knew I wouldn't have time, so I turned it in with, "Using the latest [HANDWAVIUM] she isolated the sodium from the salt's sodium chlorid. With the pure silvery element, she [MORE HANDWAVIUM] combined it..." In the critique OSC said, "I loved the Handwavium, where did that term come from?"

And then, after explaining it, I then printed out this thread and the HUB version 1. He thought they were wonderful.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Cool, MR!
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

You should show him the Destination... chronicles. Although they're ridiculously silly, they're all about the HUB.

I also love all the writing puns.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited June 27, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Bump
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mary, OSC just used "handwavium" in his latest review.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

how cool!
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Hot dog! He must have ordered his own HUB.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly, though I think that "handwavium" is a common enough term amoungst SF writers. I first saw it several years ago.

It is only with the HUB that writers are granted access to the stuff in pellet form, however. Previously writers had to extract/derive handwavium from broken science ore, a process that usually left distinctive signatures from the broken science in the story.

The Tough Guide to the Known Galaxy was probably the first place I encountered the term. It was not invented, though.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

OSC had never heard of Handwavium until I used two pellets to cover a spot needing research in my Boot Camp story. We showed him the HUB then--which he endorsed and loved.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

BIG BUMP!
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, I haven't even read half the posts and am laughing all over. This a thread of pure awesomeness!!
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 

The bumping of this thread makes me miss all the "old" Hatrackers. I never thought I'd miss Survivor's snarkiness...

*sigh*

Back to lurker mode for this "old" gal,
~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Just used some handwavium pellets in my Nano project and thought others might get a kick out of the thread where I first met them.

I think there's another thread with more attachments for the HUB...perhaps it's HUB 2.0.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.