Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Special Hatrack Topics » The Hatrack Treehouse Adventures

Author Topic: The Hatrack Treehouse Adventures
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Hatrack Treehouse! It’s a mystical/magical place that is always shifting just slightly so you never really know what you’ll find around the corner.

At the core is the old media room where there used to be a movie of the month theme, and Crystal Stevens would conjure up new chairs, recliners, or even couches for newbies as they would stop by. Somehow there was (and is) always room for one more. The movie Jaws was playing when I first arrived, and many shark puns, metaphors, and references were flung about like mad. So. Much. Fun.

While chatting amicably and waiting for the movie to start, Merlion-Emrys or marywillow would stop by and offer something yummy. Kitchen’s still there (of course it is, where else would it go?) for anyone who wants to use it. One of the best things about virtual snacks… no calories! And they are always the tastiest thing you can imagine.

Then I went away for a while, and when I came back a whole treehouse had grown up around the media room and the kitchen, and there was a unicorn locked in the basement! LDWriter2 makes it something of a mission to warn all newcomers about her. But that just made me curious. So when I went down to the basement looking for the H.U.B.s that KDW used to hand out, I tried to see if I could spot her. She was either acting really shy or just antisocial, either way I decided to leave her be.

I was wandering around the treehouse getting acquainted with all the new nooks and crannies when I found a stairway leading up! There are apparently several rooms up there for brainstorming, resting, whatever. It’s a really great spot with excellent Wi-Fi access. Anyway, as I was exploring, I spotted a dragon outside one of the upstairs windows, it was glacier white and had the most beautifully wicked eyes. He later crashed the party a bit literally, but I’ll get to that.

When I went back downstairs I bumped into a really life-like android (Tryndakai) who swore she was human, but tried to talk me into installing an oil bath in place of the hot tub, no deal! Then I think she started cursing at me in binary! At least, well, I couldn’t actually tell what she was saying… it’s all okay now though; we installed the oil bath right next to the hot tub.

Just beware, all manner of fantastical creatures are waiting to pop out of writers’ imaginations, and since we are populated almost entirely by writers the sneaky things are always escaping.

Then somebody managed to let the unicorn out of the basement, and nobody would admit to it. Now maybe she got out on her own, but she’d been safely contained for quite a while. Ah well, they finally managed to tether her once more.

Really now, the treehouse is a lot of fun to explore. You never know quite what you’ll come across when you turn the corner. One day I was minding my own business (really, I was) when I came across the most lifelike painting of a griffin. Darn thing snapped at me!

Fortunately for me the unicorn had escaped the basement again. She almost ran me over to get at that griffin. When the painting went still again it showed the two of them locked in battle. Brilliant scene, but I knew that if we ever saw the unicorn trotting through the halls again, we’d better be on the lookout for a rather savage griffin as well.

Then on the day of the fatted calf barbeque, that dragon decided to cause a bit of a ruckus. He put a largish, dragon shaped hole in my favorite room upstairs. There was snow and ice tracked just everywhere. It all melted and made everything a bit, well, soggy. Fortunately a friendly construction mage happened to be at the barbeque and offered to help. The repairs were done in a snap, but I still want to have a word with our icy draconic party crasher!

I can’t get him out of my head, but at least he hasn’t started talking to me in my dreams yet. That unicorn came to visit me the other night, and boy is she prickly! I wanted to thank her for saving me from the Griffin a while back, and made the mistake of asking her name. Wow did I get an earful…

All I said was, “Well, hello there. I’m glad you escaped that painting okay, when it went still I was worried that you’d be trapped. I’ve wanted to thank you for saving me from becoming griffin lunch, but I don’t even know your name.”

She tossed her head and pranced a bit. “My name is Ash, and yeah I know that’s a pretty messed up name for a unicorn. They could have called me Snowflake, or Lily, or Sugar, or any of the normal names, but no-oo, they had to label me a freak. It’s not like I’m even still grey. That soft baby down was gone within months. And yet. So I’m Ash, the grey unicorn. I’m telling you, do you see even a speck of grey on me? No. But somehow I’m less “pure,” not even a real unicorn according to some, an outcast. Bah!”

She might have sounded like she had tears in her voice, but as she thundered away I was glad that I wasn’t standing in her way. Like I said, prickly.

Okay, so that’s all the Treehouse Adventures that I’ve had so far. Whew! Anybody else?

-Lady Tiger

[This message has been edited by Josephine Kait (edited April 07, 2011).]

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for starting this, Lady Tiger.

I've been thinking about creating a topic in which I would post some of Crystal Stevens' descriptions of various places around here. I have her permission, and was just waiting to get a Round-Toit, so thanks for the opportunity.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Treehouse

As I said to one newcomer:

quote:
The treehouse is a virtual (as in accessible online only) imagined place where people get to know each other as they become part of the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum.
I happen to love the idea of treehouses, so that's why we have imagined a treehouse here in the introduction area.

It all started on 30 September 2008, with Crystal Stevens welcoming a new Hatracker in this way:

quote:
Now, that you've told us a bit about yourself, it's my pleasure to invite you to step inside. Isn't it nice to see the blush of autumn starting to touch the trees? I just love this time of year. It's still warm enough to enjoy the pleasant weather, so why don't we just step through here and out onto the deck overlooking the back yard. I do believe you'll find the deck chairs every bit as comfortable as the ones in the house. And now that you're relaxed here with the rest of us, I'm sure everyone is anxious to invite you to our group in their own way.
(Once philocinemas gets the movie ready to watch, we'll move back inside.)

Which prompted me to say:

quote:
Crystal, it just occurred to me that I would like this to be a tree house, if no one objects. It would, of course, have to be in a BIG tree, but that's possible. A banyan, perhaps?
Something wonderful and elaborate, like the Swiss Family Robinson tree house, or like Tarzan and Jane's tree house.
The deck(s) could still overlook the back yard, by the way. I just thought I'd like to express my preference on this.

And philocinemas added:

quote:
A treehouse - that is grand!

The moment I heard we were moving into a treehouse, I suddenly became worried about how we would get electricity up to it. You see, I screen a classic movie each month, and between working and writing I would not be able to have time to operate a hand-powered projector. Suddenly, I thought back to some obscure commercial I saw years ago where some children had run a wire to a tent and were using a projector to watch a movie on the inside wall of that tent. So that is exactly what I've done. Twa-la, we don't have to go back inside.

Anyway, I have finally decided what movie to screen. It seems there have been several people out there dropping subtle, otherwise "inconceivable", hints as to what they would like to see. Since this is a writing forum, I figured "why not" - it's based on a book. I'll give you some hints - it has "fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles."

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

And Crystal thirded the idea:
quote:
I think a tree house is a grand idea, Kathleen. And with a bit of fantasy and whimsy, we can make it just about anything we want. Maybe do the house like they did in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"... make it bigger and grander on the inside than the outside. Anything is possible with the use of a little magic . That way philocinemas wouldn't even need any electricity to run his projector, and the space station could be a simple step inside one of the rooms. This could be fun.

What follows are more of Crystal's descriptions of the treehouse (plus a few additions from others), for your enjoyment and information.

quote:
Come on into the tree house and meet everyone. It's been a little rainy, so we're all inside today. I have a nice soft overstuffed chair right here by the window if that's okay with you? This place looks humongous once you're indoors compared to the outside, doesn't it? We like it that way. It lets the tree hold up the house and gives us all the comforts of home on the inside. We hope you'll like it here.

quote:
I hope you like our membership tree house. We've put a lot of thought into it's construction. Did you know that if you go through that room over there you can visit our space station? Sometimes we have extraterrestrials pay us visits or other space faring members who come and go on occasion. We just had indoor plumbing installed if you wish to take a quick shower or luxuriate in the whirlpool bath. Rooms are available upstairs if you care to spend the night.
So may I take you to view the movie, or enjoy the gorgeous view from the deck outback? I do believe several members are visiting in the rec room, too. So take your pic. Merlion's in the kitchen and should be bringing out refreshments soon.

quote:
Would you care to sit here in the rec room or maybe out back on the deck? Philo is showing a movie in the theatre over there, or you can visit the space station through that door. Are you going to stay for awhile. If so, I'll just use some of my handwavium and whisk you bags upstairs to your room. Isn't it amazing how something that looks like a typical tree house from the outside contains all this on the inside? Like Harry said in The Goblet of Fire, "I love magic!"

quote:
I can't believe that I'm the first to welcome you into our tree house. How do you like our levitation device so you don't have to climb up here? It's pretty cool isn't it? But now that you're here, what would you like to do? There's the deck out back, the movie is being played at the moment, or you can pal around with some of the other Hatrackers in the rec room. Of course if you're up to a little excitement, there's always the space station where you can look out at the gradeur of the stars. I can seat you just about anywhere... as you can see

quote:
I hope you didn't have any problem levitating up into the Hatrack tree house. Pretty nice up here, isn't it. I hope you don't mind if we chat while I show you around?

If you've read very many of the other introductions, you already know about all the many choices of relaxation and activities to choose from including the rec room, a whirlpool bath, the deck out back, and a fully functional movie theatre. And let's not forget the space station that you can reach through the door over there where you can swim in the olympic sized swimming pool under the glorious beauty of the stars. I've heard a ship just arrived with an exotic assortment of gourmet delights for the kitchen. Let's see what Merlion can do with them to create some new incredible desert.

I can fix you up with any type of seating arrangement you'd like. All you have to do is ask.

quote:
Wow, you sound like you'll be right at home on our space station. I'm sure we can set you up a laboratory with anything you might need. Maybe you can be a science officer for the station. We could use someone to keep an eye on things over there, though you're more than welcome to stay in the treehouse, too. So, many choices.

I do believe a new shipment of recliners just came in on the latest starship that just docked. Shall I make you comfortable in one?

quote:
Please come on into the Hatrack treehouse. It seems like we keep adding more rooms as more new members keep showing up. It's getting on toward evening, and I'm sure the sunset out on the deck will be incredible this evening. I think someone has set up a nice buffet out there for dinner tonight. Just be careful of Merlion's deserts. He's been sampling some of the new seasonings that came from off world. Hard telling what he's whipping up for us tonight.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

And some more welcome descriptions from Crystal:

quote:
I'm more or less the tour guide around here.

Actually, you're already in the tree house right now, and I'm glad you figured out how the levitation elevator works to get up here. So, come on inside and see our magnificent, magical treehouse. As you could see before you came up here, it looks like any other treehouse, but it's tons bigger on the inside.
This is the main floor, and right over there is the rec room. Be careful of that door over there. It leads to the Hatrack space station. There you can enjoy the swimming pool under the granduer of the skies or visit the observatory. Straight back is the kitchen with a fridge that can produce anything you'd like to eat or drink just by wishing for it and opening it up. Over there is the bathroom, if you feel the need, complete with a shower and a whirlpool bath.

Also on the main floor is a movie theatre, but our projectionist has been busy with other things of late. Maybe he'll be back sometime so we can start watching movies, again.
So, now that you've cleaned up in the bathroom and gotten your plate filled in the kitchen along with some liquid refreshment, would you care to join us on the deck outback? It's the best place to relax and unwind while admiring the view or taking a dip in the hot tub.

OH, and don't worry about your bags. Everything has been magically whisked upstairs to your room that's been prepared for your stay with us.

quote:
I bet you anything that what you thought was the closet was the door to the space station. It's right over there. I can go with you if you wish to go look for it, but I'm trying to figure out why you want to leave? Did we do something wrong? If you do want to go outside the treehouse, you can accompany me to the stables while I visit with my good Foundation Appaloosa mare. Do you like horses?

quote:
Glad you could stop in and hope you stay for awhile. We're all a pretty good group here in the magic treehouse. Hungry? Our fridge in the kitchen can supply anything you want to eat or drink. Care to sooth away those stressful writer's frustrations? Try either the whirlpool bath in the bathroom or the hot tub out on the deck. We've been thinking of adding massage therapy, too. Looking for inspiration? Try that door over there. It leads to the space station and the observatory. For privacy; everyone has their own room upstairs complete with a den/office for your own individual use. As you can see, we strive to please.

quote:
Glad to have you with us. I'm sure you'll find the treehouse fascinating, but if you like to go for walks, the trails in this area are awesome. You never know what you may find or who you'll meet. There are lots of magical folks roaming around in the woods, all friendly so far. Of course, I usually ride these trails on my trusty Foundation Appaloosa mare. Riding a horse seems to make these shy woodland folks come out and give you a friendly greeting.

quote:
Some of us are watching sports on the big screen TV in the rec room, I believe one or two might be in the observatory on the space station. You can reach it through that door over there. Be careful going in the kitchen. It's been a bit crowded in there since I heard someone just fixed up a whole bunch of delicious snacks to munch on, but if there's nothing to your liking, you can always get whatever you want right out of the fridge. Care to join me and others out on the deck?

quote:
Hello there! Please come on in and make yourself at home. Sounds like you'll need a place to study as well as do some serious writing. One thing we have in our magical treehouse are suites for every single member. Yours is upstair waiting for you with plenty of room for studying. Feel free to browse in our library. Much like the kitchen's fridge, our library can produce about any resource you might need for research or study or you can ask advice from any of us members.

If you feel the need to take a break there's the whirlpool bath (in the bathroom, natch), the hot tub on the deck out back, plenty of anything you wish to munch on or drink in the kitchen, and the rec room with the huge(and I mean HUGE) big screen TV. There's also the space station through that door over there, and the newest addition: That door there was just put in recently and goes to our undersea observatory.
Enjoy!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I decided that a whirlpool in the bathroom wasn't enough:
quote:
You know, each suite has its own whirlpool in the suite's private bathroom.

And then someone asked about a koi pond, and found out there was one, when I answered with:

quote:
You mean the koi pond over there? You have to look out from the deck on the side away from the river. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a wooden walkway across the middle, so people can get closer and feed the fish. It's so big, that's hard to do from the shore. (And you know why it's so big? The bigger the pond, the bigger the fish get to be. And I think salmon-sized koi are way cool.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Another addition from me:
quote:
Ooh! That's what we need! A riverwalk.
Let's see, we'll put it over there! On the other side of the tree where the river bends back around after passing the koi pond.

More from Crystal:

quote:
Yes, the space station is a neat place to explore including the long range telescope in the observatory. It's got the Hubble beat all to hollow. We even get offworld visitors who dock here from time to time. There's always something going on.
The undersea observatory is just as exciting, and because it's magical, too, you can view about any kind of sea life or ocean terrain you want. From here, the door right over there leads to the space station, and that one on this side to the undersea obsevatory.

Of course, our magical treehouse has all kinds of creature comforts for every single member, too. The whole place is just one nice slice of paradise where you can get away from everyday life for however long you wish.

quote:
The koi are big enough to ride on their backs? I'll have to consult with Kathleen on this one. She said they were the size of salmon. But, of course, anything is possible with magic. So, did you shrink yourself to be able to ride on the back of the koi or enlarge one of them temporarily?

quote:
Ya know, those tribbles never bother me... though I don't mind cuddling one once in awhile. I've just been trying to find out where this cute little baby unicorn came from that keeps following ME around. He is just the cutest thing. Funny though. I thought they only liked virgins.

Oh, hi there. Glad to have you with us in the magical treehouse. Someone not long ago discovered abandoned tunnels under our treehouse where they say monsters dwell. I've still been trying to figure out where this little guy came from.

quote:
Hello and come on into the magical treehouse where all the Hatrackers stay in the virtual world. Anything and everything is possible here. Just look out for those tribbles that came up from the tunnels, and be sure to send that baby unicorn back that way, too. He keeps straying up here and away from his mama!

quote:
Sorry I'm late in greeting you, but welcome to the magical treehouse. What are you looking at? Oh no, not again. This little fellow seems to like coming up here from the tunnels under the treehouse. Cute little unicorn, isn't he? Care to come along while I take him back to his mother? She isn't too fond of me for some reason. Probably has to do with that I'm married and not a virgin.

quote:
I felt completely overwhelmed when I first joined, but the magical treehouse helped smooth the way with all it mystical charm. There's so much here to spark the imagination and all kinds of writers waiting to show you the way. Just remember that we're all here to help. So, jump right in.

quote:
Anyone can greet a new member and invite them into the magical treehouse. Hi there. You've caught me on the way to the stables. I thought I'd get in a quick ride before dinner. Care to join me? The forest is just gorgeous in the spring with all the wild flowers coming into bloom. I rode over the top of the falls just a few weeks ago. All that rain made a grand display.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

And again, some more descriptions from Crystal:

quote:
I think the rain has stopped. Would you care to sit out there? What do you mean that the seats are wet? Trust me on this. The seats will be dry. Nothing is impossible in the magical treehouse. But, if you prefer, we can enjoy a dip in the hot tub that's also situated on the deck. It's a great place to relax and take in that incredible view.

quote:
Come on into the magical treehouse where there's always room for one more and lots of inspiration to be had by all. I just got back from the underground tunnels to make sure everything is fine with the baby unicorn that was following me around. How he has grown! Oh, he's still quite young but has gotten over his infatuation with me at least. I sure am going to miss him.

quote:
You like to get out on the river? What a marvelous idea. Do you like to go kayaking, canoeing, or maybe something else entirely? Who knows what adventures await along the way. But first, come on into the magical treehouse and get settled before doing any adventuring outside. Everyone is just waiting to greet you and make you feel right at home.

quote:
Don't be shy and come on inside the magical treehouse. We're all friends here and ready to help you in any way we can. Did you find your suite upstairs okay? That's the one place around here that's totally yours to do with as you please. It's a great place to let your creativity soar in complete privacy, but you don't want to stay there forever. There's way too many interesting things to do and see not only in the treehouse but outside as well. We're all here to lend you a hand and help your writing bloom.

quote:
You're in luck. I have just enough time to give you a quick tour. Over there is the door to the space station. Be careful when you go in. I think the artificial gravity isn't working quite right, but it's still worth the trip to view the cosmos up close. If the ocean is your thing, the door over this way leads to the undersea observatory. It was really cool watching a pod of bottlenose dolphins playing with some sea lions the other day. Want to put up your feet and just relax? There's the rec room over yonder with the big screen TV, or you can go that way, which leads to the kitchen with the deck just outside from it. Take a dip in the hot tub while you're at it. Nothing better to unwind and relax.

quote:
Glad to have you with us in the magical treehouse. I was checking the cleaning spell in the theatre when you arrived. THE HALFLING PRINCE arrived, and I thought I'd check it out. Not too bad of a movie. We have a whole line of movies you can watch in there on a cinematic size screen complete with a lobby where you can buy all kinds of refreshments. The popcorn is wonderful... always fresh popped and just right in any flavor you want

quote:
I hope you've enjoyed what you've seen around the treehouse on your own. Did you find the kitchen okay? I hate to think that you've gone hungry all this time. The magical fridge is available 24/7. The restroom is just off the rec room including the whirlpool bath, but for real privacy, there's your suite upstairs. Did you find it already? Every suite comes with a bedroom, a front room, a bath room, a private study for you to create your stories, and a small kitchenette.

quote:
Hello there, and come on in. This is the place to get away from everything for awhile. So join us in the magical treehouse where anything is possible.

I hadn't been down in the tunnels for awhile and thought I'd check up on the monsters and such down there. I can't believe how much that baby unicorn has grown! He was so cute as a baby and used to follow me all over the treehouse. I spy him sometimes when I go trail riding in the woods on my good Foundation Appaloosa mare, along with his mother. Such beautiful creatures.

quote:
I'm here to help you both learn your way around the magical treehouse. Your things have been taken upstairs to your suites, and there's lots to do and see around here. There's the rec room, the library, the kitchen with the popular magical fridge with the deck out behind it, over there is the entrance to the movie theatre, and the door over there leads to the space station, and that one over there to the undersea observatory.
If you are the outdoor type, we have a horse stable and a koi pond. You can see both from the deck along with the beauty of the forest where I like to go trail riding.

And, of course, if you're real adventuresome, the tunnels below the treehouse are home to mythical beasts and monsters. Some nice and some not so nice. So be careful if you wander down that way.

quote:
Did you find your suite upstairs okay? We have a special spell for that. You enter the suite and the whole place conforms to your particular tastes and lifestyle. Don'tcha just luv it?

quote:
You're the first to find the treehouse armory. You can find all kind of charmed weapons and talismans in here. I see you've found the magic sword collection. Just be careful how you use anything in here until you read the how-to instructions. One Hatracker picked up that amulet over there and disappeared for a few weeks into another dimension. Praised be he found his way back all in one piece. Just let me know if I can help you with anything. If handled properly, most of these items can prove useful.

quote:
Halloooo!!!! Anyone down here? I thought I heard something. Dang it. Now I've stirred up the monsters that dwell in the tunnels under the treehouse. Ah! There you are. How on Earth did you wind up here? Are you okay? Come on and I'll lead you back into the trunk that leads up to the main entrance. I've been busy getting ready for my last big camping trip of the year. Here we go, safe again. You look a little pale. How about a snack to perk you up?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I want to thank Crystal for all the great tours she gave through the treehouse. She truly made everyone feel welcome.

And I want to thank all of you who have made people feel welcome to our treehouse since then.

It's a magical treehouse.

As our lovely Lady Tiger has said, who knows what else there is to be discovered in it?

(And I hope she forgives me for filling up this topic with other descriptions of the treehouse.)

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
OWWWW! Methinks a u/n/i/c/o/r/n/ n/u/t/ acorn fell on me 'ead!!
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to the Hatrack Utility Belt?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it!!!

I've really been wondering how the treehouse came about after I left, and I hadn’t even found the space station, the undersea observatory, or the koi pond!

Thanks KDW!

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

The Hatrack Utility Belt is still around.

I was handing them (links) out to new people for a while, but there just seemed to be no point in it, so I stopped.

You can do a search and find the topic easily enough, or follow the link in Josephine Kait's initial post above.

Anyone who has something they think should be added to it is more than welcome to add such somethings.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Niiice thread. I've learned a few things and some of it is just plain fun.

I had an idea though. I first got it months ago but wasn't sure where to post it.

But I was thinking we could do an anthology on the Treehouse. There's Spyder's (Roberson?) Bar and the Captain's Table mini series within Star Trek. Of course there's the Magic Treehouse but that series is for kids.
I have no idea if this is a good idea or not or exactly how we would do it, if we did. We could do an E-book but the pay, if any, would have to be figured out but it might be fun to do a challenge. Especially with some of these doors I didn't even know about.

But has anyone seen a tall skinny twenty-something looking girl with black hair that has reddish tints in it? She's tall also and has pointed ears. I saw her a few days ago and I need to talk to her about her book.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
That girl with the pointy ears? I closed the book on her. She's kinda flat.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
The anthology idea has come up before, and I'd gladly contribute. Someone would need to volunteer to oversee the publication process, then perhaps we could hold a contest for the stories.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
A shared world anthology, the Hatrack River Treehouse, a la Robert Asprin and Lynn Abbey's THIEVES WORLD? or L. Sprague de Camp's TALES OF GAVAGAN'S Bar?

That might be fun.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Reziac

She's half fey. The Fairy tend to tall and lanky, therefore small bosoms on the woman.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As stated I was thinking more of Spyder's-interdimensional - Intergalactic bar and grill or whatever the name but any of those anthologies would do; maybe have each story start in the treehouse but end up elsewhere, if need by.

Not surprising that the idea came up before. I know I wouldn't make a good editor or judge for it but I could do some work with it.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
LD; You and I seem to get on the same wave length. I've been thinking of doing a short story, novella, or novelette based on the treehouse I remember. I haven't been around the treehouse much because it cut too much into my writing (and horse riding ) time. And yes, I still have my Foundation Appaloosa mare for real. I made up a virtual horse like her when I showed up on Hatrack for the very first time and have kept her with me whenever I'm at the treehouse ever since .

I've always thought of the Hatrack Treehouse laid out something like this:

From the outside, it doesn't look much different than a one room wood-frame house painted in bright colors. I'm thinking maybe yellow with red trim. Most anyone would think it nothing more than a playhouse for children except there's no ladder or anything else evident to get up to it. The only way to do that is to stand beneath it and wish to enter. That's when the levitation elevator is activated to lift you up to the front door.

Once inside, the place is huge. There's an entrance way and a short hall way with two doors. The left one goes to the space station and the right one to the undersea observatory. The entrance hall comes out in the rec room, which is the center of the treehouse. Straight back from the rec room is the kitchen with the deck just outside the kitchen. Back in the rec room and facing the kitchen: to the right is the library and to the left is the movie theatre.

The upstairs can be obtained, again, by wishing to go to your suite.

And of course, there's a spiral stairwell starting in the rec room near the library entrance that leads to the underground tunnels where all sorts of magical creatures dwell.

Outside, the treehouse is close to the river that fills the koi pond (lake?). The horse stable isn't too far from the treehouse or the koi pond. with trailheads leading into the surrounding forest where other kinds of magicfolk live.

I realize my memory isn't what it used to be. If I've forgotten something, please let me know, and I'll work it into this basic plan. But this is the way I've always visualized the treehouse and probably always will. And that it's a very special place and dear to my heart .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, I seem have a different idea. I've seen pictures of real tree houses. One is a restaurant and another is a hotel I believe. Or they used to be, things do change.

But I see it with one large structure near the top of the tree, round, with more rooms at different levels. Some larger some smaller. They are all connected by a spiral stair way that starts at the base of the tree. Perhaps with some rope ladders here and there. And perhaps a stairway inside the trunk of the tree. And/or elevators.

There's a basement in there somewhere.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
A real treehouse is a restaurant or a hotel??? Odd. I always thought treehouses were for children... at least the ones I've been connected with. They are usually built in a tree in the backyard for the enjoyment of a family's children.

My thoughts were that the Hatrack treehouse should look rather ordinary on the outside. After all, we don't want everybody wandering in. Just Hatrack members. And doesn't most magical structures look like nothing special until you realize what it is? More fun this way too when you find yourself magically lifted upward to the door and then find out what an incredible place lies within.

I like the idea of the inside being limitless in its capacity, making more rooms and/or additions possible when they're needed. After all, there's always room for one more every time a new member arrives.

I should've added that the spiral staircase that goes to the underground tunnels travels down the inside of the tree's trunk. We try to keep those that live in the tunnels contained there, but some do come into the treehouse now and then either to visit or cause mischief .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I've seen real treehouses, too, LDWriter2. For an amazing collection of treehouse photos, go her e.

But this is my treehouse, and it's a magical one, as Crystal has explained.

I visualize it as similar to the one listed as treehouses002s0oi.jpg (it should be on the first page, but I can't guarantee that the photos won't be jumbled from what I am seeing--if they aren't, it is the leftmost one on the second row on the first page).

But there's a lot more to it than what you can see on the outside.

Edited to add that I checked the link and it isn't where I said it was, so anyone who wants to see how I visualize the treehouse will need to move their cursors over the photos (still on the first page, though) till you see the above jpeg.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 25, 2011).]

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Oh wow, Kathleen. I like how you think. And I like the treehouse you picked. Just like I said: Very ordinary and something that doesn't look like much from the outside. Yes! That will do nicely .
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

When I first clicked on that link, that was my favorite one. Love to find out that it's the one you picked too.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, you know, great minds and all that.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Found it.

Some of the others were interesting too. A drawn one looked like something from Hobbitville that is the Shire. Another drawn one looked the closest to what I imagined. I think it was the SF and fantasy house. Anyway, I had thought about adding that it was up to you to decide what it looked like.

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
So when I searched for treehouses002s0oi.jpg this picture came up. If this is what we are talking about, I must say it does seem perfect for here. It fits my mental image.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Yup, that's it. But it's bigger inside than it appears to be from the outside.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Even though this place isn't as rickety as that porch looks.
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

There has recently been some discussion about whether or not the treehouse has a moat. If you look out the window you won’t see a traditional moat, that is a ditch filled with water, but as you know appearances are deceiving, especially around here.

It’s an emergency-underground-hidden type of moot moat. See it works like this… there is a series of underground pipes (much like a sprinkler system has) that are typically dry unless needed. If we are ever attacked the valve is opened and the pipe that connects the undersea room to the moat is flooded turning the ground around the treehouse into an instant quagmire that will bog down all chariot wheels rendering any attack moot.

I had it installed when we were working on the landscaping, but I’ve never actually tried it out. Anybody want to test the system?

KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yup, that's it. But it's bigger inside than it appears to be from the outside.

Like Snoopy's doghouse. :-) Just an ordinary doghouse from the outside but inside a fully equipped basement and much more.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, Josephine do you have to be down there in that room to activate the water?

In that case my answer is I don't think so.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have one of those rope ladders leading up into it? I always had trouble with those rope ladders when I was a kid...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

Earlier in this thread Crystal said
quote:
From the outside, it doesn't look much different than a one room wood-frame house painted in bright colors. I'm thinking maybe yellow with red trim. Most anyone would think it nothing more than a playhouse for children except there's no ladder or anything else evident to get up to it. The only way to do that is to stand beneath it and wish to enter. That's when the levitation elevator is activated to lift you up to the front door.

So, nope! No rope ladders, unless you brought your own

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

Just thought I would mention the recent observations of some of the more obscure rooms that I’ve stumbled across:

First there’s the arena that I found in the basement. I got lost down there when I was looking for the treasure room. (I figured that would be where all of the HUBs are kept before they’re handed out to newbies) The next thing I knew, I found myself in a pitched battle between a horde of zombies and an army of killer robots! Of course that was before our prickly unicorn saved my hide yet again. She’s either getting real tired of saving me, or she’s starting to like me. Truth be told, it’s kind of hard to tell which, but I’m grateful regardless...

…The Arena’s new (I think), but it’s great for crafting battle scenes or even just individual combat scenes. There’s a friendly construction Mage lurking about here somewhere, I think he designed it. It has a conjuring spell to materialize any combatants that you can think up. It’s also great for sparring.

There’s also the Déjà vu room, from whence we get double posts when the shielding goes on the fritz.

The “new perspectives” mirror room. (Watch out for this one, it has a special enchantment that makes it so that perception really is reality, at least as long as you stay in the room.)

Outside the treehouse, past the koi pond and walking paths, just beyond our borders is the olive grove inhabited by dryads. They like visitors, and love sharing the products of their trees, but remember to be respectful. Offend them at your own peril.

Well, that’s all that’s new so far. As always please feel free to add anything new that you discover.
-Lady Tiger

Crane
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Crane   Email Crane         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, guys, listen up. You won't believe what happened to me (well, actually, if anyone believes it will be you). Remember that rain storm about 10 days ago? I was caught out in it, so I ran across Yon Rickety Swinging Bridge to the library tower. I had never been there before. Why didn't anyone warn me about the hedge maze made out of book shelves? I was instantly lost. I finally found the compass rose in the floor in the center. I was trying to figure out how to leave because I was getting hungry (and I missed you guys). At random, I picked up a book. When I opened it, the darndest thing happened! The compass rose began to shift until it was pointing straight up, the ceiling retracted like the top of a missile silo, and before I could say, "once upon a time," I was rocketed out of the tree-house into the diamond-studded sky (by then the rain had stopped).

I was out there floating, you know, just one more heavenly body; when I glanced down at the book I'd picked up. 'Rocketman,' naturally. I started to fill my pockets with stars and nebulae until the increased weight started to make me drift downwards. I fell faster and faster. At first the backyard was just a speck in the forest by the river, then it was the size of a book and I could clearly see the koi pond and the stable. Something wasn't right though; where I expected to see the tree-top, was just a dome of cratered grey rock, like an asteroid. Although I was falling quite fast, I hit the rocky surface with a soft, dusty bounce.

As I bounced to my feet(its something like a low-gravity trampoline out there), and brushed myself off, I saw this tiny... creature... staring up at me with these huge almond shaped eyes, just like a Roswell alien, but only ankle-biter size. I don't want to use the term alien, because for all I know they've been here longer than the tree-house itself. He looked hungry, so I offered him one of the stars from my pocket. He ate it in one bite! I really wanted to get back inside the tree-house so I started to walk, expecting to find a hatch or a firepole or something.

The little pipsqueak followed me (I'm calling him pipsqueak because he's tiny and that's the noise he makes). Other pipsqueaks appeared and began to follow me as well. I felt like a mama duck. So many were following me that I had to be careful I didn't run over the end of the line as it snaked back to where I had started. It was like that game Centipede, do you remember? I never found the hatch, but I did happen to close the book. In a flash I was back here!

Wanna star? *opens a bag filled with light and offers it around* The green ones are sour. Oh! and look who followed me back! *Pipsqueak pokes his head out of the hood of my sweatshirt and jumps to the floor.* Can we keep him? *shakes head* I can't believe you guys didn't tell me about the library. Almost makes me wish I'd picked up a romance instead of a scifi. *Pipsqueak begins to dance and pops the button on the top of his bluejeans* What?! no, no, no, Pip! I was just kidding! *Pip shrugs as if to say: your loss and toddles off towards the kitchen.*

(So this is what happens when you have a 10 day internet outage, I guess... I'm back now!)

[This message has been edited by Crane (edited August 18, 2011).]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Talk about your fantasy treehouses

Treehouse

Something like this for us?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Nah. I like the one I picked above.

I've "pinned" it on Pinterest, so it's easier to see. At least I hope it's easier to see.

Someone try the link and let me know?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I did and it looks good.

The enlarged version doesn't make it that much bigger but you can still see everything.

Sort of reminds me of a old West town, just wrapped around a tree.

Oops, doggone it... My muse got ahold of that line. That would make a very interesting setting for a western.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks for checking for me, LDWriter2.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

posting so this topic will be visible again

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.