Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Casting Consequences

Author Topic: Casting Consequences
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping to get some feedback on this story. It's fairly short (about 3400 words). Here's the first few lines of it. Let me know what you think and if you're interested in reading the whole thing to critique it. Thanks.

Walking into King Aldred’s court, Herrik was nervous. It was his first time at court, and today he was to be part of the entertainment at the farewell feast for Viscount Merrol. Herrik mentally ran through the spells he had to cast and when he was to cast them, trying to calm his nerves. Keep focused on the task at hand, he told himself. He looked around the room, surprised at the size of it. He supposed that he should have expected it to be large, since the feast was being held there, but he was still surprised. Banners of many colors hung from the ceiling, one for each of the noble houses in the land of Raekel, where King Aldred reigned. Those in attendance at the feast were seated at long tables set in a square, leaving the middle open. They all sat on one side of the table so that they could see the entertainment, which was to be performed in the center of the box created by the tables. Lords and ladies sat together, eating and laughing and drinking. The king, his queen and their five children all sat at one table, which had been raised above the others on a dais. The guest of honor, the Viscount, sat beside the king, and was laughing at something the king had said. It seemed that none of them had noticed the arrival of the next part of the entertainment.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to take a gander as well.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not into fantasy, but I'll take a quick look.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Heresy, I've had some problems getting back in touch with you. I think that the story is interesting, but there doesn't seem to be any real conflict. More when I can e-mail you.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. Send it over, and I'll take a look, but add HATRACK STORY in the subject line, or I likely won't notice it. (All emails are sent to my trash unless their on my safe list. Yours likely won't be).

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to take a look at it. Send it along. (Make sure your subject is clear so I don't delete it.)
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.