Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » merc/military scifi, help me out?

Author Topic: merc/military scifi, help me out?
slade007
Member # 1660

- posted      Profile for slade007   Email slade007         Edit/Delete Post 
just about 164K's into a novel, sf genre working on war/anarchy plot. flavors of cypherpunk culture and military life collide.
Obsessed since I can't find any critiquers around my area <im usmc.mil active, deployed)
Need the help, Much.
Being 164k's deep and without critique feels like 500 rounds down range without a score board.

heres a sample fragment :

"Fire Team, I sense ambush." said the Corporal.

The Void. Four zero zero quadgrids of sand, decay
and expended ammunition. Ammo from all perspectives of
Fire; infantry to sattelite artillery. The biggest
proving ground for any Grunt, from daylight inferno to
obsidian evening shade.
Roads, highways, leading to stretches of ash and
gravel, leading to ruins of towering skyscrapers, of
twisting steel. Arcologies and ruins, leaving marks of
civilizations' vein, structures massive and voluminous,
shadows bending and slithering with life as the crimson
moon moves across. Arcologies and ruins, all massed in
staccattoes of tiers and alleys, forming a Daedlus for
the evening vertigo.

end fragment

interested? wanna see all 164ks of an unfinished symphony? : slade007@otakumail.com

Sorry, but we must ask that people post no more than the first thirteen lines of their stories. This is to protect your electronic rights as well as to keep the size of posts here on the Hatrack forum down to a reasonable size.

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 29, 2003).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'll critique it. Sci-fi is my favorite kind of writing. Lay it on my brotha.

Sylkra@aol.com

"And then the hiss. There is nothing beyond such a sound. Nothing"

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can take a look at the first few pages at least, don't know about the whole thing.

As for the above fragment, I don't know why a team leader would say "I sense ambush" rather than telling them what to actually do, but military jargon is not my forte.

I'm a bit puzzled by why they would be fighting in an area littered with arcologies and ruins, unless perhaps it is the initial landing point of the colony and they are fighting to claim the resources there. Why would the arcologies land, though?

Nice voice. But using "ammo" to refer to expended munitions sounds odd. Satellite artillery is also a bit of an odd idea, unless only one side has space based weapons (if both sides have space weapons, it makes more sense for them to fight each other in terms of energy/materiel cost--knocking out an enemy satellite would be far more valuable than taking out any plausible ground target, particularly a ground target vulnerable to conventional forces).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's a lot to look at.

I tell you what, though. I, too, and knee deep in a novel and would be interested in some feedback. If you are willing, why don't we trade a few pages every week?

Unfortunately, this comes when I'm going to be going on vacation just next week, but if you think this is a good idea, start by sending me the first 10K words or so and I'll respond with my first few chapters. If that works out, we'll keep going.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
slade007
Member # 1660

thanks for the replies.
i've sent some fragments,
all inbound via your addy's.

survivor : thanks for pointing that out
abt arcologies.
actually, its all DEAD arcologies, ruins, blasted out and all.
hadda add that in.
Ammo? thanks, didn't spot that, in the .mil we say 'brass' for expended ammunition.
as for satteliteartillery :
in my plot, those exosphere guns are leftovers from a previous war. factions try to recapture them by hacking signals, espionage, etc.
the whole context of my material is post-postapocalyptic <does that even make sense>

you should get a clearer frame of it all once u get my fragment.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that does make more sense. I have your story and should be able to give it a read after tomorrow...er, today, I mean
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about the viewpoint you are using. I almost got the impression it was first person while reading it. The "four zero zero" line took me a couple times to figure out what you were saying. Being x military, I would think that would be more spoken way of putting it. "400" would have made it easier to understand.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
slade007
Member # 1660

>I was wondering about the viewpoint you are using. I almost got the impression it was first person while reading it.

well, I tend to bounce around on the POV, in terms of the narrators element to change voice from character to character.

>the "four zero zero" line took me a couple times to figure out what you were saying. Being x military, I would think that would be more spoken way of putting it. "400" would have made it easier to understand.

its just a random point for style I guess, spelling it out gives the reader the impression on how we talk on the comm, <ever been R.O? ie, you say a freq four zero zero instead of four hundred? etc.>
I mean, saying four zero zero miles is clearer to the comm than saying "four hundred" <some distorted comm ive encountered was "four hungered", "Four wondered.... etc>

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
What I was trying to say, as nicely as I could, was that it was confusing to me. Naritive portions should be clear or you could loose the reader which is the last person you want to loose.

>I mean, saying four zero zero miles is clearer to the comm than saying "four hundred" <some distorted comm ive encountered was "four hungered", "Four wondered.... etc>

I agree completely that spoken numbers in the military have to be broken down since some of the communications are not that great. If I would have read "four zero zero miles" then I would have understood right away. But in the context its written it made it harder to understand.

On the narative side four hundred or 400 would make more sense. If you like breaking it down, or it has the effect you want, why not make it into more of a dialog from the main character. Possibly make it thier thoughts which would allow you to use a more first person language while still holding to a third person viewpoint. Just an example:

The Void. Four zero zero quadgrids of sand, decay and expended ammunition. He thought while looking over a vast waistland. Ammo from all perspectives of
Fire; infantry to sattelite artillery. The biggest proving ground for any Grunt, from daylight inferno to obsidian evening shade.

The thought could then lead into the description and it also gives the reader a perspective of looking at it from the view of the main character.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.