Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Some help needed for Science Fantasy

Author Topic: Some help needed for Science Fantasy
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I have edited this, for the second time. I wrote this as part of a story a friend and I are composing. I regret it isn't yet in a position to send to people, but I would like to know if the following passage is interesting or not. And when it is finished if anyone would like to take a look at it, I would like to know that too. Any other help you wish to give, please do.

In the dim room Alexander V could see Dr Craig IV's lifeless body through the narrow slit between computer terminals. Relying on the quiet humming of the computers to cloak his hushed breathing he waited, keeping himself as concealed as he could. The spreadeagle scientist's outstretched hands were chalky-white, and his furled brown hair lay in matted heaps hiding his face. It was this demeaning position that Velix had left him in. The tall, rough looking man stood by the body, clad in the traditional garb of ENTITY's military police, the Guardians. There was a crunch and Alexander V could see Velix's foot come down upon something, breaking it. Then, seeming satisfied, Velix made for the door. Glancing back only once, his eyes combed the room briefly, then he turned and disappeared behind the sliding glass.

Waiting a safe amount of time, Alex stepped out warily from behind the consoles. His view unobstructed for the first time, he absorbed the scene around him. Most of the computers and equipment were smashed, the experiment tables were turned over, and various test tubes were scattered around the small octangular room. Alexander V felt a grim satisfaction at having the forethought to hide the implanted embryos the night before.

From his new angle he could see that Craig's side was torn from where the pulsar beam sizzled him. His profusely dripping blood stained the tiles around him. Slowly the murky crimson liquid was making its way toward Alexander. Then his eyes fell upon a purple powder that was scattered close to the body. He thought back to the crunching sound he had heard before. I see Velix found the dud disc. With a wry smile he withdrew the real datagem from his pocket and held it up. The palm-sized crystal shimmered nonchalantly in the direct shine of an observatory light. The project won't die, I can finish it.

Ok the older versions I have kept below, for the sake of comparison.

<<Spreadeagle on the tiled floor was the lifeless body of Dr Craig IV. His scruffy dark hair lay in matted heaps hiding his face, which rested atop the cold ground. His chalky-white hands were outstretched in the demeaning fashion that Velix had left them in. At his side was a small pile of purple powder mixed with rough bits of silicon chips. It was a sorry sight, but would have been much more so if the crushed dust had really been more than a dud disc. With a confident sweeping glance, that detected nothing, Velix's heavy footsteps left the lab leaving only the vibrant hum of the computerized equipment to stay the silence. Warily, a young man slipping out from behind a stationary computer terminal and stealthily strode toward the door. He turned back hesitantly, to absorb the eerie sight one final time. Goodbye Craig. It was a cold but not emotionless thought. The young intern felt himself withdrawing the real datagem from his pocket and raised it to his eyes. The palm-sized crystal shimmered nonchalantly in the direct shine of an observatory light. it seemed odd to him that such a small thing could have such a profound and even deadly impact on the lives that had been around it. I won't let it die. Returning the gem to the safe confines of his pocket, he vanished down the hall in silent swiftness.>>

There of course is more, but I didn't want to post too much. I've already made that mistake once.

ok I edited it based on your comments, let me know if it's better or worse. The original is just below this,

<<Heavy footsteps left the lab leaving only the vibrant hum of the computerized equipment to stay the silence. Spreadeagle on the tiled floor was the lifeless body of Dr Craig IV. His scruffy dark hair lying in matted heaps hid his face which rested atop the ground. His chalky-white hands were outstretched in the demeaning fashion that Velix had left them in. At his side was a small pile of purple powder mixed with rough bits of silicon chips. It was a sorry sight but would have been much more so if the crushed dust had really been more than a dud disc. Slipping out from behind a stationary computer terminal a youthful man stealthily strode toward the door. Turning back hesitantly, to look one final time, the young intern raised the real datagem to his eyes. It shimmered nonchalantly in the direct shine of an observatory light. it seemed odd to him that such a small thing could have such a profound and even deadly impact on the lives that had been around it. Returning it to the safe confines of his pocket he vanished down the hall in silent swiftness.>>

[This message has been edited by Alias (edited July 04, 2003).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I won't have time to read anything for a few weeks, but as you asked for some feedback on the few lines you've postd, I'll give it a go.

First of all, it had interesting elements, but I bet you can make it even better. For one thing, I'd cut the first sentence. It doesn't tie in again until the end of the paragraph, which means you have to read it twice to understand. But an even better reason to cut it is that a pragraph beginning "The lifeless body of..." will always grab my attention before heavy foosteps.

Second, why don't you try putting the first sentence towards the end of the paragraph, but in a slightly different manner. Slip into the young man's point of view and have him listening in terror as the footsteps fade away. He just saw a man killed, after all, make us feel it!

That's my two cents worth anyway.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

Thanks for your comments. Something else though I must admit I am intentionally trying to limit the feel from his POV. He isn't the main character, and in fact will be a protagonist turned antagonist. His loyalties don't actually change but our main character's does. This is kind of a fleeting hint, in my eyes, that may help support his cold regard for life that surfaces later.

But anyway I really appreciate your comments. And I would like you to tell me what you think of the revisions I made.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something else though I must admit I am intentionally trying to limit the feel from his POV. He isn't the main character, and in fact will be a protagonist turned antagonist.

I wouldn’t necessarily limit reader exposure just because he isn’t the main character and will later become the antagonist. Getting to know the character better through his emotional responses may actually make that transition more powerful. And withholding information that the POV character knows violates the POV and will annoy the reader.

Comments refer to the edited version:

"which rested atop the cold ground" is redundant – you’ve already said he was on the floor. Say the tile’s cold the first time, and you’ll tighten things up without losing your description.

"With a confident sweeping glance, that detected nothing, Velix's heavy footsteps left the lab leaving only the vibrant hum of the computerized equipment to stay the silence." -- Footsteps don’t make sweeping glances. I see what you are trying to say, but as written, this whole sentence doesn’t make a lot of sense. Nor does it’s placement within the paragraph.

"intern felt himself withdrawing" – awkward phrasing.

What I got out of the passage is that Velix (the murderer) was standing over the body, then leaves, as seen by the perspective of the intern, that was watching hidden somewhere. How body, Velix, and intern are physically and temporally related to each other is not make very clear, however. Other than a very vivid picture of the body, I had a difficult time settling into a mental picture of the scene, mostly related to the footstep sentence. I was intrigued by where you were heading (What was the intern doing that he has the real disk? How did he know the murderer? What is the significance of this object?), so you did capture reader attention here at the start (Dead bodies seem to do that )

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the passage is interesting. We get some idea of the importance of the datagem, and an idea of the character of the intern...rather cold, but not inhumanly so. I might be interested in reading it when you're ready.

On the other hand, you do have a number of very real problems as well, some of which have been touched on.

First off, there is not a well defined POV here. Unless you intend to write in omnisicent, then I would suggest several specific changes. First, give the intern a name, he's obviously an important enough character to require one anyway, so there is no reason not to use it here. Second, tighten the POV so that the scene is actually from his POV. Don't worry about the reader sympathizing too deeply with him, you've made him unsympathetic because of his somewhat callous attitude towards Craig's death.

For example:

quote:
Sean [the intern] crouched behind the bank of computers, counting on their incessant humming to hide his ragged breathing. He could hear heavy footsteps crunching across shattered datagems and other delicate scientific equipment, moving towards the center of the room [the presumed location of the body]. A silent pause, then Velix's footsteps moved away...

As you can see, the penetration does not need to be deep in order to achieve a consistent and clearly defined POV. All you need to do is identify the POV character by name in the first sentence or so, then limit the information given the reader to what the POV character has.

A shallow penetration POV can be ideal for a prologue, since it arouses curiosity about things that the main text promises to reveal. But woe unto you should you fail to deliver on the revelation! Also, be careful that the character doesn't behave in a completely inexplicable manner (your intern seems to be acting quite sensibly so far).

POV discipline should also help you to deal with some of the more florid description, though it isn't really all that bad, just out of POV.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

Thanks. Actually i tend to agree, especially after I have seen your examples. When I re-write this it will be from his perspective but I will make a conscious effort not to let the reader grow to attached to him. When the story reaches a "20 years later" point the main POV alters dramatically and you may never see anything from this character's POV again. If I get a chance today I'll re-write it again. That is one advantage with short works is they can be altered/fixed much more easily.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.