Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » *Comedy of Sorts*

Author Topic: *Comedy of Sorts*
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Vycye

[This message has been edited by Infyrno (edited October 09, 2003).]

| Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give that a read if you like. My address is in the profile :-)
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a go

thayes@medjet.com

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
One problem I noticed right away is that it starts as a story, then moves right into a long naration of details. It is understandable that you need to pass some details, but to many at once at the beginning of the story will turn the reader off.

One of the tricks I have been trying on my latest short story was to write the motion, the flow of the story. It was very lacking in details and content, just the framework for where I wanted to take it. After I completed that I went back and started revising it and working in the details. Seeing where I could drop in a few lines of information to let the reader in on what is going on without halting the story's progression.

Maybe it is just the was the email handles it, but you have quite a few large paragraphs. Large paragraphs tend to wear the attention down. Breaking them up gives the reader a chance to pause.

I also noticed more very long sentances. I'm trying to figure out your process for writing. I think the ideas are pretty good, but I would suggest working more on the grammer side. I am not even close to being a master of the english language. I generally have to do allot of cleanup in my revisions to fix my gramatical mistakes. I never realized how important is was till I started trying to write. When writing try and look at your sentences. Are they too long? Do I have 5 short sentances back to back that change the flow of the story? If you want the story to work well for you the sentence structures and variation is one part that has to be concidered.

I would suggest the book "Details" which is part of the "Elements of Fiction Writing" series. I'm almost finished reading the whole book and concider it about the same level as OSC's "Characters and Viewpoints" (which is worth reading also) It explains the different ways to handle details, exposition, and even some good insite on viewpoints.

I hope this is helpful.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

Thanks everyone.

I've been working on this story a little more and I have a couple more chapters done with if anyone cares to read the rest. Let me know if you do. But let me warn you now that the style has changed quite a bit and the edges are extremely rough as of the moment, so all I am truly looking for is whether or not those who read the rest of it are enjoying themselves. Thanks in advance.

"Kiss my penguin"

Vycye

Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the blurb there alot, it could set up for an interesting experience. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at reading the rest. I dont know how helpful I will be but hey, its a fun read so far.

Email in the profile.

Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

Sent. Tell me if you didn't get it.

"I don't see why you prompt yourself to be so blind"

Vycye

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.