Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A tone, style check.

Author Topic: A tone, style check.
g_potter
Member # 1701

- posted      Profile for g_potter   Email g_potter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Well, I figured I'd toss out a fragment for ya'll to look at. I am just over half finished with this story. It's a 'pastoral' character/morality piece,in the vein of the late, great Clifford D. Simak, if you are familiar with his work. There is no SF in this opening fragment (no worries - the SF comes into it on the first page), but I'd like any and all opinions on whether or not I succeed in reaching the tone I'm going for -melancholy, quiet, simple but poetic.

"I was thirty two years old when I put Pa into the ground, and he was just shy seventy.
I found him on the front porch where he had taken to spending the early mornings, watching the dawn break while sipping the bitter black coffee that he brewed double strength and that I had to water down and sugar before I could tackle. He was calm, peaceful, apparently passed without pain or regret. The half empty cup of coffee still sat on the table by the worn rocking chair that was as much a throne as a simple man like he would ever think to claim. There was a little smile on his face.

"For some reason, that smile made it easy on me, losing him. It made it possible for me to pick him up and carry him to his bed, amazed at how light his body was, when all my life he'd been as solid and strong as the eternal mountains that surrounded our little property. It made it possible for me to call the proper authorities in town and speak in a calm and steady voice and make those arrangements that have to be made for us all eventually.It made me dry eyed and easy with the situation, not reduced to the angry rage and pain that had came over me when Ma had gone years back."

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.

-George

From Kathleen: Sorry, but the fragment was a bit more than the 13 lines we ask people to limit their fragments to. This is to protect your electronic rights and to give readers the "first-manuscript-page" reading experience that is intended to be helpful to the writer--if the reader wants to continue after the first page, then the story is off to a good start.

[This message has been edited by g_potter (edited July 23, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 24, 2003).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
g_potter
Member # 1701

No problem, Kathleen, but the fragment I posted WAS 13 lines not counting blank spaces meant to signify paragraphs. Do you count blank spaces? I wasn't sure. I'm not complaining - folks can judge tone from this fragment as well as the original - I just want you to know that I was indeed aware of the rules and tried to abide by them.

-George

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the 13 lines should be based on manuscript format--the first page of a manuscript should have only 13 lines on it because the text should start at the middle of the page.

I suppose I could take the time to copy out each fragment and put it into manuscript format and base my "cut" on that. Instead, I just count the number of lines I see in my browser--give or take a couple--and cut based on that.

Your fragment is fourteen lines, not counting the space between the paragraphs, on my browser. I've copied the lines and put them into my word processor, and they are fourteen lines (Times New Roman 12) there as well.

I submit that that's close enough.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the tone and the fragment as a whole. I found it to indeed be melancholy, quiet, and rather poetic. I like your choice of descriptive elements. Very vivid, in a non-obtrusive way.

Why have you put everything in quotes? From what you’ve posted, this reads like general first person narration, which doesn’t need quotes. Is the character actually talking, a fact we would learn latter in the story, and this is all told within a narrative frame? If it is a framed story, it would be helpful to establish that frame sooner, to give the reader a sense of where the character is in relation to the story he is speaking.

You’ve also used a lot of long sentences, which actually interrupted your word flow because they grew unwieldy and detracted from the poetic quality.

The last sentence felt like it hinged too much on telling, rather than showing. Or maybe it just told too abruptly for my tastes, after all the previous emotion was shown more gently. Hard to tell completely since it is an arbitrary cut off.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
g_potter
Member # 1701

GZ -

Thank you for the feedback!

The quote thing is habit, from other forums, to differentiate it from the post proper. Your take on the POV was right. Perhaps I should have HTML tagged italics or bold.

I will take your point about the long sentences into consideration. Rereading, I agree that they seem a bit clumsy!

Thanks again!

-George

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.