Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Man Who Moved the Moon

Author Topic: The Man Who Moved the Moon
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13 lines of a short story called "The Man Who Moved the Moon." I'm planning to submit to Phobos next Thursday. Let me know if you'd like to read the whole thing (about 6500 words.)

Darryl Harrison had his doubts about the whole idea of "realistic" movies. After all, the movie would have to be converted to digital eventually because that's where the audience was. Twelve billion people had uploaded to digital, leaving the Earth and its problems behind. The twenty million people still living on the real Earth — probably technophobes or religious types who didn't like movies anyway — weren't a demographic worth pursuing. A hundred thousand more scattered between Mars, the asteroids, and the Jovian satellites added little at the box office. The audience was digital, so why not make the movie digitally in the first place?

But Philippe Duvall had three Oscars for Best Director, and if he wanted to make a "realistic" film, who was Darryl to argue? The chance to work with one of the big-name directors was too good to pass up, so he ignored his doubts and took the job as second assistant.

The rapid-cloning from his DNA record and the mind download went off without...

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Care to Trade? I just finished the first draft of mine. Its roughly 6600 words.

Either way if you would like me to look at yours I will.

thayes@medjet.com

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pygmy_goat
Member # 1709

- posted      Profile for pygmy_goat   Email pygmy_goat         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes. It sounds quite good (at least you've done a good job of pulling me in!).

Please send it.

Don't know who I am? I'm new! Well, okay, so I've been here before, but in the under 18 part (now I'm back, as an adult, several years later. Hopefully my writing is better).

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a kind of interesting concept. It might be a better hook if you could express a key difference between the virtual world inhabited by Earth's billions and the old reality, preferably the key difference in terms of perceptual frame of reference.

I'd be willing to critique it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting concept, but it didn't grab me. Too much infodump and not enough conflict in the opening paragraphs.

Instead of having the issue of what demographic to pursue already resolved, you might consider having the story open with an argument on the subject.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already submitted the story to Phobos, so I'm not touching it again for a while.

But thanks for taking the time to give feedback, Doc.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.