Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 1000 Ideas in Whatever

Author Topic: 1000 Ideas in Whatever
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I started thie forum for us to post our 100 words in (whatever) stories. I had one at the time, but to be honest, I took it away to do some editing. That's ok, everyone can stil put your stories here and we'll swap. Mine will just show upa little later.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 01, 2003).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok then...

We begin with a night sky reflecting into a mirror offering some kind of symbolism that could be connected to something... something mysterious.

"You bore me"

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

OK, I've sat on this for a few days now. I haven't actually made any changes, but I've decided to post the original draft anyway. I think, if nothing else, I can get a feel for whether or not this is an idea worthy of continuing. So, here are the first 11 lines of my 1000 ideas story....

Alethea Spinett hid behind a great oak tree, her heart pounding madly in her chest, as arrows flew past her. She possessed the magic book of fireball, but there were so many attackers she was not sure if fireballs would be good enough. Well, if she did not act soon she would be dead. Alethea darted around the tree, held up her hand, and willed forth a fireball all in one smooth motion. Three of the attackers fell dead, but there were still seven others.

Alethea plunged back behind the tree as another wave of arrows narrowly missed her. This was the most realistic game she had ever played in VR. Her heart had never pounded this madly and the attackers had never seen so real. She could actually feel the heat of the fireballs as they flew from her hand. She could actually sense the narrow misses of the arrows as they flew inches from her face.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, how do I get more of it?

Wait, let me do some more work on mine. I had a few issues get in the way (not to mention I got a bit stuck on one part) So it will probably be another week before I have it ready.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a tree. "But how can you talk?" Georgina Regimen said, looking dazed.

"It is simple. I speak and therefore I am so." The tree said matter-of-factly, while looking down upon her. She turned away and saw the grass stare up at her.

"YES?" The grass said. "What do you want?"

She didn't know. She hustled away into the
dreary vague wilderness and wondered where she was, why she was and even who she was.

"What is this awful place?" She screamed at nobody while beginning to sprint deeper into the clouded dark forest. She felt her heart thumping like a snare drum. Closer ever closer she was nearer. Faster. It was darker. Ever darker. Lights appeared, bright ones. They beamed in vibrant splashes of flourescent colors.

"We see you." An eerie voice croaked from somewhere above her . . .

Ok, this isn't part of a real story. In fact I just wrote this up right now, the question I wish to raise is does anyone like this kind of "abstract-literature." I only see it rarely but I think it's interesting. Where the author gives the reader a vibe that suggests no seriousness whatsoever and yet still presents characters, action, and plot.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
But why wouldn't it be serious? It sound like the start of a horror story or a insanity issue. I played a game in the not so distant past "Alice" which was Alice in wonderland but wonderland was a mess. I liked the game quite a lot.

So as long as you didn't go so far out that no one could understand it, then it could be pretty good.

I like twisted sometimes.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited August 06, 2003).]

Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, I think the only way to pull off something like that is to play it as seriously as possible. But most readers will be looking for some exlanation at the end. If you do that, it can definitely work.
Aidan Aasarin
Member # 1713

- posted      Profile for Aidan Aasarin   Email Aidan Aasarin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sansi realized she wasn’t dead. She fought to focused her eyes and whimpered. The fallen leaves of the leatherleaf looming overhead covered her in a mound around its base. It was nearly dead, it’s energy drained through the night and soon she would have to move on. Yes, she thought, past time to move on.
Lifting her arms from under the leaves took a struggle in her weakened state. Even under the shroud of night she could see that her efforts had failed and the deep gouges in her wrists had closed; by daybreak there would be no scars. Trembling, she tried to release the tears she felt were waiting but they would not come; they never would again. This had been her last attempt and now she fought for the resolve to accept her fate. The gods had abandoned her and now she was truly dead, or at least partly so and could not finish the process. Oh, my little Aniala, I am so sorry.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I suppose the author and the characters would have to be serious in that type of writing, but I do not believe all readers would take it that way. that aside, would you like to read that kind of fiction? I think it's ridiculously easy to write but I pressumed there was no audience for it.
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pygmy_goat
Member # 1709

- posted      Profile for pygmy_goat   Email pygmy_goat         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I get your story Christine?
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I keep changing my mind on the ending of this story. I like the concept, but I'm worried about the follow through. I suppose that means I should just send it out and see what other peopel think, but I'm going to sit on this for one more day. Whether I make changes to the end or not, I'll send it out tomorrow evening. Thank you for responding.
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I'll take any stories that are being sent. I won't read them untill I finish mine though.

Just send them to thayes@medjet.com

Christine
Member # 1646

Just sent out my story to those who responded so far. (Except Alias, your e-mail isn't listed.) Please send along your shorts when you get through with them. I'm really curious to see what angle everyone took with this.
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Ok, it has been a while, but i have finally gotten to a first draft of mine. To say it has been a bit more dificult to write than I first thought? Well, it was. So any of you that would like to read it drop me an email:
thayes@medjet.com
and I'll send it off to you.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Christine, I've tried to email you the story but the email keeps getting rejected.
Christine
Member # 1646

Is it too big? My account will only accept messages that are under a certain size, although I've never had problems with something like a word document.

Hmm...

Try again, chamsden@yahoo.com and also send it to camsden@morgancomputers.net. The second account is on my own server here at home and size won't be a problem. (At least if it is your story is definitely too long. )

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

The story is about 8200 words. Not that big actually (file size anyways) and for a first draft it will change when I get back to it to do revision 2..3...and so on.

I sent it out yesterday, let me know if you don't get it.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited September 11, 2003).]

Christine
Member # 1646

Got it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.