Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Small part of my growing novel.... Crits?

Author Topic: Small part of my growing novel.... Crits?
Legolas
Member # 1740

- posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fantasy book, growing at the moment, it's 200 pages, I hope it'll become 500 (it should be finished around that size)

Ildar felt tired. Not in the fashion that he had experienced during his magical explorations, which spread through his limbs, no, he was tired of travelling. De adventures, the desperation that kept popping up, no matter how hard he tried to push them away and no matter how much diversion he had. He didn’t want to travel anymore, not go through adventures, not trying to unravel strange riddles.
And yet, he was here, walking through the rain that poured over them for so long a time. Wet, cold to the bone. He shivered while he tried to fasten his steps one more time. The silhouette of Baltazar was almost lost in the greyish mist. The tough, stubborn dwarf didn’t let anything stop him, he walked on firmly. Usually, Nyadedeia frolicked in front, the centaur girl that never seemed to run out of energy. But her playfulness seemed disappeared now that she trudged besides Ildar, the shoulder bent down and here hooves scraping the rocky ground, like she couldn’t move one more inch.
The line was closed by Smaragnadan, his endless mocking grin seemed to have washed away by the large amount of water.

From Kathleen:

Sorry to have to cut the above, but we ask that people only post 13 lines of their work here--the equivalent of the first page of a manuscript--in order to keep things short, and to protect your electronic rights.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 16, 2003).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Legolas,

I really admired the artwork on your website - you have great talent! Yes, Poser and Bryce are astonishing - I gave the first to my husband, and have played around with the second. Cute nephew

As for your writing - are you composing in English, or translating? You might want to start out with a spell check and grammar check. Are you looking for comments solely regarding content, or also regarding English usage? I'd be happy to e-mail comments on the part you posted...

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas
Member # 1740

- posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the comment, well *blush* apparently it's obvious I'm translating (I'm dutch from origine)

I only am able to translate small parts, my englisch is just too bad for serious and "fast" translating. A small part takes an hour and the translation still sucks.

But I'm just wandering is there are any things to say about my writing in general, although I understand it's a short piece of a long story wich makes it hard to say something usefull.

Johannes

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to say you have a lot of determiniation. Some of us who use english as our native language still have problems getting the grammar correct.

Have you tried getting other people who speak dutch to read it for you in its native form? Just to get some idea on if you have a good story.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Johaness,

No need to blush - I just wanted to make sure, not wanting to offend you if English was your native language! You certainly use it well enough. You just have some normal turns of phrase and other things that mark this as a translation... I studied in France, and have studied a few languages, so I am familiar with this! Anyway, you answered the question that you are basically looking for content comments, not help with English, so here goes:

This is what I understand of the story so far. There are four characters traveling, perhaps on a series of mini-quests, adventuring, solving riddles, and magic is involved. They’ve been at it a while, and are tired - this comes across very well. You don’t yet mention why they are doing this, but hopefully do within the first couple of pages. It will help to know why they are doing this, what they get out of it - to understand the point, why they should continue, and perhaps what the threat(s) are that they face. What is at stake?

I’m guessing that Ildar is your main character, race not yet mentioned, but I’m guessing he might be an elf? Nyadedeia is a centaur girl - will the others call her by a nickname? Baltazar is a dwarf, and Smaragnadan might also be but I can’t tell yet (nickname for him?), and he grins but we don’t know why. There is some conflict between them, yet to be revealed. Also, why are they together?

It is fall, and the weather is miserable. Your group needs a break, but you can infer from the writing that they may not get one any time soon. They are outside, but we don’t yet know where. Not sure it would be a blue sky in a storm (I don't want to make too many comments like that, as your word choice may not reflect exactly what you are trying to say in Dutch).

So far, it seems to have the makings of an interesting tale. It is obvious the group is miserable, readers can relate to being wet and cold and tired, but we will need to know more about them to really sympathize, or empathize. As you say, it is just a couple of paragraphs, not enough to really know what is going on. The sentence lengths and structures vary, which is good, and your descriptions help us to visualize the scene. I’m sure it flows more smoothly in Dutch!

Lee

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited September 11, 2003).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to read a bit more of this before making any solid recommendations (naturally, a solid proofreading by a native
English speaker is necessary if this is to be published in English--but you haven't said that's your intention).

So far, I find the POV readable and competent, but I dislike the flashback transition. However, that is probably a matter of grammatical ambiguity as much as anything. I can't seem to bring up your website (one of those grammatical ambiguity things, I actually have enough computer skills to make it seem as though I brought up your website--at least to someone that had never seen it before--and thus can seem to bring up your website, but it seems to me that I cannot bring up your website ). Is there a way for me to get some of your translation otherwise?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I just got your website, but it doesn't appear to have any more of your story.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.