Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The First Ambassador

Author Topic: The First Ambassador
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
NOTE: I do not need comments on this fragment or this story. I'm just briefly reviving this thread because the story got published.

quote:
When I was fired after ten years as a science reporter for the New York Times, the editor told me I'd never get a job with a decent paper again. He was right, at first: no one wanted to hire a reporter who had taken bribes to write a series of articles about a non-existent technology in order to inflate the value of a company being used in a stock swindle, even if I had managed to get off without serving time.

Yes, I took the money. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, and if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have. I had my reasons at the time; what they were don't matter. All that matters is that no newspaper or TV channel in the country would touch me after that. I tried freelancing for a couple of webzines, but it didn't pay the bills.

If you want to critique just these first 13 lines, go ahead. I'm also looking for people to critique the whole thing (about 7800 words.)

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited February 21, 2007).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. Send it over.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, it evokes some corporate espionage that shows what sort of trouble he's in. I also feel like giving him advice.
The senctences run-on a little, I have trouble with that myself. That can probably be fixed by turning some of those commas into periods.

"no one wanted to hire a reporter who had taken bribes to write a series of articles about a non-existent technology in order to inflate the value of a company being used in a stock swindle, even if I had managed to get off without serving time."

This seems like a lot of info for a single sentence. Perhaps you could simplify just to the bribes and talk about why the bribes took place later.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had my reasons at the time; what they were don't matter.

I'm not sure whether you intentionally used "don't" instead of "doesn't", but even if so, I would think that a scientist and journalist would use correct grammar.

I also agree that that one sentence Pyre mentioned seems a little long and cram-packed with information, making it a bit difficult to digest. But it's not a big problem.

Other than that, no complaints. Drew me in, sounds like the start to an interesting story. Smacks a little bit of Crichton at the moment

[This message has been edited by AeroB1033 (edited March 27, 2004).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a look.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way - I'm still struggling to edit Onion Man! After the recent tales of false stories filed by reporters, I'm intrigued by your twist

punahougirl84ATyahooDOTcom

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a go.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Intrigued by your intrigue.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! Of course I'd be willing to critique it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got some time to take a look.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I think I have enough volunteers for full feedback now. I've sent the story to everyone above; if you didn't receive it, let me know.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet- I'd love to critique it.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

I want to thank everyone for the feedback on this story. After some revision, a retitling, and a long wait, this story was just published as the cover story of IGMS issue 4.

http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/cgi-bin/mag.cgi?do=issue&vol=i4&article=_001

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

How relieved we can all be that we didn't say it totally sucked!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!

It's nice to see that you kept working on it and got it published! Well done.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.