Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » " Olympus Uprising"

Author Topic: " Olympus Uprising"
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first little bit of a little piece that I'm working on. I have edited this 3 times now on most of the suggestions that you have submitted to me.
Toriyn followed a deer through the forest from the back of his horse. When he felt he was getting closer, he dismounted and tied his horse to a tree, and continued on foot. After a while, he stopped to make sure he followed the same deer. When he was sure of his quarry’s direction, he continued to track the deer deeper into the woods.

" Apollo, show me the way to a successful hunt," he muttered to himself, as he looked for clues. He stumbled into a clearing and took cover as he saw his quarry. " I have you now," he whispered as he saw the impressive looking deer. Fifteen points on its antlers, and fat from grazing. The massive deer raised its head and searched its surroundings to search for any threats. When it decided that everything was fine, it continued to graze.
Toriyn nocked an arrow and aimed at the magnificent stag carefully. "Apollo, guide my arrow to its mark," he whispered . He loosed his arrow, and after a split second’s flight, the deer fell from the shot. The forest grew quiet for a few seconds, then resumed its noisy chatter.

Grinning , Toriyn slipped his bow over his shoulder and walked across the little clearing to claim his prize. A vulture lighted on a nearby branch. It followed Toriyn to the deer and peered down. Toriyn looked up at the vulture and said," This one is taken, my friend, no handouts here, " then dismissed it without another thought and continued walking.

This is 13 lines ( on my processor ) didn't know it was going to be so long. Sorry guys.
-Bryan
[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited June 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited June 16, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited June 19, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited June 20, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited July 01, 2004).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go ahead and do a line by line crit. My comments are in caps...but I promise I'm not yelling.

Toriyn was stalking a deer in the woods not far from his village of Beroth. AS AN OPENING SENTENCE, THIS DOES NOT PACK MUCH PUNCH. PART OF THE PROBLEM IS THE UNNECESSARY "WAS". IT HAS ITS USES, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT USE IS IN THIS SENTENCE. " I almost have you nowCOMMA" he whispered to himself. DELETE "TO HIMSELF" YOU HAVEN'T MENTIONED ANYONE ELSE SO THIS CAN BE ASUMED. YOU MIGHT EVEN SAY "UNDER HIS BREATH" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. The deer was impressive, fifteen points on its antlers and fat from grazing in its lush forest home.
Toriyn brought up his bow and aimed carefully. "Apollo guide my arrow to its markCOMMA" he whispered to no one in particular. HE DID NOT WHISPER TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR...HE SAID IT TO APOLLO, HE SAID SO QUITE PLAINLY. He loosed his arrow and after its A? split second flight, the deer fell from the expert shot of its hunter.
Grinning triuphantly, Toriyn slipped his bow over his shoulder and across the little clearing to claim his prize. RE-READ THIS SENTENCE....I THIN KTHERE'S A WORD MISSING...AND *WHAT* ACROSS THE LITTLE CLAERING?

WHEN A NEW PERSON SPEAKS, IT NEEDS A NEW PARAGRAPH. "Excuse me, friendCOMMA" came a gravely voiced man's voice from behind.

NEW PARA. Toriyn turned and saw a large man dressed in black approaching him.INSTEAD OF "HIM" AT THE END OF THE SENTENCE...I WONDER IF YOU COULD PACK MORE PUNCH AND LEND MORE DESCRIPTION BY SAYING WHAT DIRECTION HE APPROACHED FROM? EITHER THAT OR JUST CUT THE "HIM", AS IT IS UNDERSTOOD. Toriyn stopped and let the man catch up with him.

NEW PARA. "Thank you for waiting for meCOMMA" the man in black said

NEW PARA " No problem, friendCOMMA" came the reply. I DON'T THINK "CAME THE REPLY" IS A GOOD DIALOGUE TAG...IN MY OPINION IT IS BEST TO KEEP IT SIMPEL. aCTUALY, THERE IS NO NEED FOR A TAG AT ALL SINCE THERE ARE ONLY TWO SPEAKERS AND AS LONG AS YOU DIVIDE THE PARAGRAPHS PROPERLY, I KNOW WHO'S TALKING.

NEW PARA. They both walked in silence towards the deer. Toriyn kneeled KNELT in front of the deer PERIOD "DELETE SPACE Sorry Artemis, but my family needs to eatCOMMA" he whispered to the deer before he began to dress it for the journey home.

NEW PARA "Excuse me friend, but is the village of Beroth close by? " asked the man in black.

NEW PARA Looking up from his task, Toriyn pointed his knife in the direction of his home. "DELETE SPACEThe village you seek is half a day down that trailPERIOD".DELETE PERIOD The trail was a horse trail that hunters used in the region. IS THIS NECESSARY INFORMATION?

The man in black looked down at Toriyn and saw a young man of twenty-five winters or so, long black hair tied in the back, dressed in green for hunting and saw emerald green eyes, fierce with independence. WHAT? WHY ARE WE ALL OF A SUDDEN DOING THE MAN IN BLACK'S POINT OF VIEW? THIS IS NOT AN OMNISCIENT VIEWPOINT PIECE, AND THE REAOSN i KNOW THIS IS THAT IF IT WERE, YOUR OMNISCIENT NARRATOR WOULD HAVE INTRODUCED THE MAN IN BLACK BY NAME. I have found him, the oracle at Delphi is never wrong, the man in black thought as he continued to look at the man he so desperately needed to find. " DELETE SPACEAre you Toriyn of Beroth?"

All right, I think I got all your grammar and punctuation errors. You need to look up out to punctuate dialogue, as wll as how to use paragraphs with dialogue...every time a new person speaks it is a new paragraph.

Aside from those technical issues, the biggest difficulty I had with this was the point of view switch at the end. if this is to be an omniscient viewpoint, then you must show us from the start by, among other things, naming the man in black. omniscient narrators know all, see all, and they do not rely upon any one character's eyes to show them what is happening. But I think it would be better if you stayed out of the man in black's head....it is more mysterious that way and therefore more interesting. I don't need to know about the oracle at delphi yet, that can come later.

ahhhh....greek myths.....some of my favorites.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

OK Ms. Christine, I have edited it about like you said to. See if it works a little better.

Thanks for the brutally honest critisism, I can take it. ( I was in the military ) Also I haven't done any real writing in years, so I'm a little rusty but with help from you nice < hehe > guys here, hopefully, I'll become a better writer.

Thanks again,
Bryan

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some repetitive word use that's a little troubling.

"came a gravely VOICED man's VOICE from behind."

"Akesth looked down at Toriyn and SAW a young man of twenty-five winters or so, long black hair tied in the back, dressed in green for hunting and SAW emerald green eyes, fierce with independence"

Stuff like that. You might also want to go through and look at the things that end in 'ly' to see if you can replace the word they modify with something more active.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the repedative word use. The one I noticed was "friend". Perhaps it was done on purpose, but it jarred me when I read it.

I don't feel like I could add anymore than others have already. Sounds interesting and I would certainly continue reading.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
It still has a POV problem. Not just the shift, but the whole thing. Take the first sentence:
quote:
Toriyn stalked a deer in the woods not far from his village of Beroth.
Some people might say that this is "telling not showing" whatever that means, and I'll even agree that it falls in that category. But the reason is that it is not how Toriyn would experience it, but how it would look in a movie. What is he thinking and how is he feeling? Something like: "Toriyn nocked an arrow slowly, his gaze on the magnificent stag." This is nothing great, but the reader should feel as if he is there with Toriyn when reading it.

Likewise, "Grinning triumphantly," is how he would be seen, not what he would intend. Get into this guy's head, and rewrite the whole thing with that in mind.

OR: if you really want to go into Akesth's POV, then START there.

Smaller issues: I'd change both these characters' names. Akesth I stumble over all the time. I keep wanting to read Asketh, which would be a fine name if it weren't an archaic English word. Toriyn isn't quite so bad, but unless you have a reason not to, I'd make it Torian or something. You might want to use some actual Greek names, if you can find any that aren't too hard to pronounce.

The other complaints I have will probably disappear if you rewrite as I suggest, so I won't bother with them here.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

Ok, guys. I have like four pages if anyone would like to take a look. Let me know.
Thanks. I changed 'Akesth' to 'Batzus' as well as gathering many Greek names for both men and women.

Bryan

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
You were in the USA army?

Thank you. I owe you this much: send it to my email. (Find it through the profile).

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's "U.S. Army", and there are some other branches of service, you know (about which we tell many jokes ).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Bah, humbug. Fine. U.S. Army. And Survivor, thank you, too .

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Monolith,

I'm sorry I can't look at the whole thing now; I've already got another critique that I'm behind on right now. But I need to say 2 things. 1) This has definitely improved since you first posted it. 2) You are still not doing the POV properly. It's clear in reading this that you are imagining the story from OUTSIDE, instead of imagining it from inside. Otherwise you would never have lines like the following:

quote:
the deer fell from the expert shot of its hunter.
and
quote:
" No problem," came the nonchalant reply.
Also, you name Batzus without Toriyn having ever heard the name.

One other quibble on a minor matter:

quote:
Batzus asked again, growing impatient
He never asked the first time. But this is probably just an editing error.

Seriously, the POV issue will kill you. I think you should rewrite this (NOT edit). Put yourself in Toriyn's head and rewrite, without looking at the original, keeping Toriyn's perspective in mind the whole time. (When you're done, you can go back to your original and see if you left out anything really neat--but make sure it doesn't violate POV before putting it in.) If nothing else, it will be a good exercise.

Christine
Member # 1646

Monolith, if you don't mind a friendly follow-up....i suggested that perhaps you re trying out omniscient viewpoint, but that you needed to make up your mind which using and go with it. The truth is, I've never seen anyone on this board like something written in omniscient point of view; they always quibble about the inconsistent POV. (Sorry guys, but that's what I've noticed. )

On the other hand, omniscient viewpoint is something that is incredibly difficult to do well. For a moment, let me go with the assumption that you want to do an omniscient viewpoint. This paragraph won't work:

"Toriyn turned and saw a large man dressed in black approaching him from the south. Toriyn stopped and let the man catch up with him."

This paragraph is clearly in third person limitd viewpoint. If it was omniscient, you might dip into a character's mind for a thought (and you would have to identify the thought and who thought it), but you don't describe the actions through someone's eyes like you have done here. Also, the paragraph that you used to have as your last paragraph describes things from the man and black's perspective.

Omniscient viewpoint describes things from the narrator's perspective....essentially -- God. God knows people's thoughts, but he does not need to describe the basic rudimentary things like appearnce as one character things of them....he can look down and see what something looks like all by himself. When he shares something inside someone's head, it needs to be very important. (Hope nobody thinks I'm being blasphemous. )

Sooooo.....I don't think you should use an omniscient point of view. I don't know which of these two characters needs to be primary in this scene, but I think you need to decide and use them as your point of view character. If you're confused about what I mean, read "Characters and Viewpoint' by OSC....if no one's recommended it to you yet on this site, I'll be really surprised.

There are a couple of reasons for switching to third person limitd, and most of them are described in that book. But on top of that, it is a tool that writers need under their belt, whether they choose to use it or not. Also, it is an easier method to get right, especially at the beginning.

But I've tried to show you what you might need to do to go either way because, after all, it is your story.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited June 18, 2004).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

I agree with Christine in that the people here love 3rd limited. But I have to disagree with the idea that 3rd omniscent doesn't go deep into the heads of characters, only going in for only "a thought."

I think that there are many 3rd omni. stories that explore the deep thoughts of numerous characters.

Christine
Member # 1646

I think you misunderstood me.

The thoughts and motivations explored by an omniscient narrator can be very deep. Actually, it's the shallower thoughts that don't need to be thre...the he saw this and perceived that. These are hallmarks of a limitd viewpoint becuase nothing can be witten that is not noticed by the viewpoint character.

Monolith
Member # 2034

Ok, if I can be a little more descriptive, and still maintain what I have, then would it be better? Then would that be the POV you're talking about?
Christine
Member # 1646

I think you're completely misunderstanding point of view. Descriptiveness has nothing to do with it. Point of view is who is telling the story? Is it a first person narrator telling the story in first person (I)? IS it in second person, command voice where the narrator is ordering you around? (Choose you own adventure books did this, if you ever read those.) Or is it third person, he/she/it?

A third person viewpoing has a narrator that is necessarily outside the story, but you must decide where hs is. Is he floating around, peaking in everyone's mind and telling all, seeing all? Or is he sitting in one character's head, telling the story as that character sees, hears, and thinks about it?

Your story has a narrator that sits in characters heads sometimes and buzzes around sometimes and jumps heads sometimes. All the descriptiveness in the world won't fix that. You need to plant the narrator's but down someplace and tell the story that way.

Seriously, get "Characters and Viewpoint"...OSC describes this all very well, obviously better than me since I have failed to help you on this point.

Monolith
Member # 2034

You haven't failed at all Christine!!! I guess it's just me. I want to tell the story, but since I jump around alot, it makes it difficult to see who's telling the story. But I do WANT to tell this stoy!! I will try to find the OSC book, but the library is like 25 minutes away. I also think it has to do with me being hard-headed!!! Wanting to do things my way. But I can take it, thanks for the replies.
Phanto
Member # 1619

Go and tell someone what happened during your day. That will be in perfect 1rst person PoV. It will represent EXACTLY the thoughts you have, because, well, you're telling your thoughts.

Let me explain. When you describe your day, you do so from your perspective. You don't say: I walked into the office. The officer looked at me, thinking about his wife back home. He wanted to leave and check on her, but first he had to deal with the annoying customer. Well, duty first and all that. After all, without the money from his job, he wouldn't be able to pay for his family at all.

The only time you'd say that is when you knew the person was thinking that. But most likely, you'd say something like this:

So, I walked into the office. The guy there looked snarky. Guess he wasn't in a good mood. He tried rushing me out, but I refused to leave until my complaint--that the car didn't even work!--was heard.

That, my friend, is what PoV is. The persepective from which the story is told. When you tell a story in 3rd limited PoV, namely telling the story from one person's perspective, you use his/her slant.

You know the cliche about being in someone else's shoes? Try doing that. Next time you write, imagine the character is telling the story. Anything the character wouldn't know/experience can't be in the story--because s/he never experienced it!

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited June 19, 2004).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

You got it! Up until almost the end, anyway.
quote:
Toriyn stopped and let the man catch up with him, he looked irritated and confused to see someone in a relatively empty forest.

"Thank you for waiting for me, " Batzus said a little out of breath.

" No problem," came the nonchalant reply.

1st problem here is the comma in the first sentence. A period would be better.

2nd problem is in the same sentence. Who looks irritated? If it's Batzus, it seems a little confusing.(Why would someone who just said, "Hey, wait up!" look confused that someone else was nearby?) But if it's Toriyn, then you're out of POV.

3rd problem, next sentence. You still introduce Batzus's name without giving Toriyn an opportunity to learn it. Since Toriyn doesn't know it, you can't use it.

4th problem, last sentence. Since Toriyn is speaking, you can't say "came the reply." The reply "came" to Batzus, not to Toriyn. As it is, this sentence is clearly from Batzus's point of view.

Up to this last little segment, however, the POV is handled fine.

My only other complaint is tiny:

quote:
A vulture lighted on a nearby branch and peered down at Toriyn and the deer. He said " This one is taken, my friend," then dismissed it without a single thought and continued walking.
Toriyn could dismiss it without another thought, but he's already had at least one thought regarding it. (And the "He said" sounds like it might refer to the vulture.)

Much improved!

Monolith
Member # 2034

I have resubmitted the 1st 13 lines with revisions galore and some additional editing. Just let me know what you guys think.

-BHJr-

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.