Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Careful What you Wish For

Author Topic: Careful What you Wish For
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
on the right forum no less...

Another 13 for y'all. This time I'm also looking for readers as well as the usual feedback on these 13 lines. [I'm counting on you, Survivor, to rip this to shreds proper. I would expect nothing less.]

7000 words, again contemporary fiction with a slight fantasy element in the fairy tale sense. First draft. In fact, I just finished it an hour ago after starting it late last night. So, it's a bit rough and needs polish. But not so much that it isn't readable.

Bah. Enough banter.

I tell you, kid: I was loser. I suppose that’s not exactly fair. The truth is that I was the biggest loser who ever lived a day. So when the Djinn that had appeared from my father’s antique pocket watch said that I could have any three wishes granted, well... I don’t need to tell you that some things were going to change. I’m sorry, young man; I’m rushing ahead of myself. Let me start at the beginning.

They used to call me Deficient Dan -- that's because I failed miserably at everything I had ever tried to do. Naturally, I dropped out of school the day I turned sixteen because the only classes I had ever passed were study halls and gym, and I got a D-minus in both of them. It didn’t matter, though, because a delinquent like me had little use for an education anyway.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read!

Word format sent as an attachment preferred.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited July 18, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo-yah. Send that over. Nice hook.

One thing that's a pet peeve of mine, is establishing an identity for the reader. I like characters that address me, but I dislike it when they make decisions for me. Things like, "Please, have some more wine," make me absolutely loopy because I can't have any much less more. All of which is to say, that unless there's a really solid reason your narrator is talking to a young man, I'd rather you cut that bit.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

There is a very good reason for that, Mary... it resolves at the very end of the story. Thus, I must leave it in.

Sent to your earthlink, madam.

HSO

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
You've hooked me. Mind if I read?
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Currently working on the second draft and I hope to have it done before too long. Unfortunately, I've neglected the lawn and garden and I must take care of it before the bindweed swallows up the cats.

Much appreciative of the feedback so far... First draft is still available for those who'd like to see it.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
First or second draft, your choice, but it will take me a few days to get to it. That way I can finish the ones I have already started as well as the various and sundry chores which sit before me, tongues lolling with mocking laughter as they edge closer and closer, successfully blocking off any hope of escape. Truly there is a reason that "work" is a four letter word!!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look if you want. Might not get it done before this weekend though if that's okay.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at the second draft, when it's ready.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
MR is right, even when you adopt the conceit that the narrator is speaking to a physically present person (or persons), it is usual to phrase things so that you're not kicking better than half your potential readers out of the audiance.

The exception (which isn't, as it turns out) is when you frame the story such that the reader (and/or the intermediary narrator/journalist character) is a...how shall we put it? Spying little busybody who has got hold of some correspondence that was private, dammit!

You may go either way on that. I like three-wishes stories, myself. So I wouldn't object to reading this one.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

I fear I've made a terrible error in judgment. I thought it would be clear to the audience that I'm speaking to the kid, who appears later in my story. You, the reader, are eavesdropping on my conversation with him until the very end.

The only way I can fix this is to use quotes around the first paragraph and add a little to set up a scene. Certainly do-able, I suppose.

HSO
Member # 2056

Mary, Survivor, Keeley (and anyone else who cares to comment):

Based on your feedback, how would you feel about the story if it started something similar as follows -- I'm just making it up quickly for an example:

The kid sitting next to me on the bench -- I think his name was Rotherham, but it's so hard to keep track of all the new faces these days -- was wide-eyed and ready to hear my tale. Barely twenty years old and looking even younger, he had heard the rumors. Those were likely exaggerated and embellished, but now he would get it from straight from me. I spun my yarn the same way I had done so many times before.

"I tell you, kid: I was loser. I suppose that’s not exactly fair. The truth is that I was the biggest loser who ever lived a day. So when the Djinn that had appeared from my father’s antique pocket watch said that I could have any three wishes granted, well... I don’t need to tell you that some things were going to change. I’m sorry, young man; I’m rushing ahead of myself. Let me start at the beginning."

They called me Mr. Glass. Ha! I couldn't resist that one -- HSO

Keeley
Member # 2088

This would work for me, as a reader, if you section it off like you did with the conversation at the end.

HSO
Member # 2056

You mean add an extra line break like this:

#

Yes?

Keeley
Member # 2088

Yup.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. That would work much better for me, as a reader.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.