Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » bah! The curse of the newcomer:

Author Topic: bah! The curse of the newcomer:
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading over the tales and beginnings here, and have either been bogged down with the number of stories to be read, or have found that what I would say to the authors has already been said for me.

However! If I solemnly swear to start haranguing stories as they come as a kind and fellow writer should, would you guys mind helping me out a bit? I have a short story of mine (very short, in fact, as short stories go) that I'd like to start submitting to magazines, contests, and what have you, but I'd like to get it picked apart first. It's been a _long_ time since I worked with it, so admittedly, much proverbial dust must be blown off before I could view it with much quality.

So, without further ado, the sacred 13 (conveniently and coincidentally enough, also the first two paragraphs of the story) --

-----

Raelk hesitated in the open doorway of the tavern. A glance over his shoulder beheld nothing but a maelstrom of snow, but before him was a disaster of noise, a crowd of ruffians and gangsters -- general chaos. People disliked him and he disliked people, but the place had food, and his stomach had already scolded him enough for not bursting in and ordering something. He sighed and drew his cloak about him, covering what he could of his warped body, throwing the hood up and casting his scarred face into blessed shadow. He could feel his eyes still flicker occasionally with a soft magical iridescence, but he couldn't help that, and it was likely that the denizens of this place wouldn't notice if he didn't draw their attention.
He stepped toward the bar along the back wall, carefully detouring along the outskirts of the room to avoid contact with the thick of the crowd. Sliding onto a shaky stool, he nodded to the tender, careful to avoid eye contact, though a scar coursing along across the man's left cheek held his vision for longer than he'd intended.

-----

Any takers? I promise, it's a very fast read. =P

(edit to adjust for the lack of html slash ubb)

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 19, 2004).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it over, e-mails in my profile.

You can sent it as a Word attachment if you like.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
send it on... will take me a few days, likely... I'm falling behind on story critiques at the moment.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, few days, but send it on!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, this looks pretty good. I hope that the story isn't too short. I could read this.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all. I'll be able to send it when I get home, so expect it later tonight.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a peak.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pisigri
Member # 2098

- posted      Profile for pisigri   Email pisigri         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please, please, e-mail it to me too...!! I know I'm pretty new 'round here, but I'd just love to read it. My e-mail adress is in my profile.
Thanks a lot!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes please. Send it over. Emails in the profile.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.