Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Penitent

Author Topic: The Penitent
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

this is the opening of my fantasy novel, The Penitent. The first chapter is 4.5k words.

The whole novel is approximately 80k words. I'm looking for readers (of the first chapter, the whole thing, anything really) and any feedback at all.

Thanks in advance
Ruth
----------------------------------------------

Mallory wrapped his cloak closer against the night and sank back into the shadows. His breath misted before him, the rhythm smooth and calm. Down the road, a fight was breaking out in the public rooms of Jennsen's inn. Somewhere to his left a horse snorted. Its hooves beat out a hollow refrain on the cobbles.

And in front of him the High Enforcer's house stooped over the street, the windows shuttered and blind. It had surprised him at first. He'd expected a grand mansion in the Marian district. But Trask lived close to his own Cheapside. The area was called Little Holt, named for the number of northern immigrants who had fled the Holtlands following Celtoria's accession and was known as peaceful, though by no means crime free.
----------------------------------------------
(wow - the formatting went really haywire there for a bit!)

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited July 20, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'll give it a read! Can't promise to be really timely about it, but I can promise to try.

E-mail: Either asdf292@hotmail.com or that_freaky_kid_in_the_corner@hotmail.com. If one doesn't work, the other will.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Any preferences on format? Word/rtf? Let me know.

R

TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at the first chapter. I'd prefer word format, so I can add inline comments and the like.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read the first chapter, though I'm swamped till after the 28th. Want me to be second string, after these folk get through with you?

Is the fight in the bar down the street important? If it is, you might think about using that as your first line. I think it might be a better hook. If it's not, then I've just offered a really bad idea.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the fight is important because that's why our boy is sinking back into the shadows. His breath is important to show that he is calm and collected even though he's out to hit a target in an unfamiliar part of town on a cold night and a fight just broke out down the street.

You might want to more explicitly draw those connections, or not. But it would be a good way to show that the information is coming from the POV rather than being dumped, because it demonstrates why he's thinking things.

I think that this opens pretty well. I'm probably too busy, but why not send it over anyway?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check this thread again in about three weeks. If it still seems active, I might look.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi all

the fight isn't important to the story, but is important to Mallory because its a distraction. True, I could make more of this, but I'm not sure how relevent it would be. These are the sounds of his city at night, so they don't overly convern him. Maybe once you read on, you'll let me know.(Mary, no idea is a bad idea - well, maybe lemming impersonation, but...)

To all who've offered to read, many thanks. I will send the first chapter to you tonight (word unless you specified other). Thanks
There's no major hurry on this - I'm trapped between submission hell and working on something new.

Talk to you soon
R

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason the bar fight seems important is that it's in a different tense than the other elements:
'a fight was breaking out'
'a horse snorted'
'hooves beat'
You can blend the fight into the background with a more parallel construction:
<Mallory wrapped his cloak closer against the night and sank back into the shadows. His breath misted before him, the rhythm smooth and calm. Down the road, the sounds of a fight breaking out in the public rooms of Jennsen's inn carried to him. Somewhere to his left a horse snorted. Its hooves beat out a hollow refrain on the cobbles.>
Obviously, there are other ways to do the same thing. But this way you get to keep the fight, which lends something to the piece, while not overemphasizing it.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Kolona

I like that idea.

Guys, this has all taken a new turn in the last couple of hours as I have been in contact with a publisher here in Ireland. Before anyone gets excited (myself especially), this is on a very early basis, but they have given me the option to send in either the entire ms or sample chapters.

What would you all recommend? At the moment I am leaning towards the first 3 or 4 chapters. Whatever I send I will include synopsis and cover letter. But...

I'll post this question on the Open discussion site as well if that's ok with everyone.

Any thoughts?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend the partial because it will save you on postage (you can always send the whole thing if they like the partial), and it will give you time to incorporate any advice from here that you want to use.

You can get feedback asap on the partial, get it ready and sent, and then be working on the rest of it while they read the partial.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
However, the above arguments for sending the whole thing are good ones. You can consider me out-voted.
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi all who offered to read for me and got a lovely email and no attachment.

The web mail is out to get me!!!

Sorry about that. I was certain I'd attached it. I'll try again this evening from another account or something.

I think the only acceptable word is:

D'oh!

Although I can think of a few more colourful ones...

R

RFLong
Member # 1923

Kathleen

I still haven't entirely made up my mind what to do. I think I'm going to read through the ms this weekend and make a decision on Monday - either way I want to make sure I send it before the end of next week to keep momentum going. I don't want to rush anything - its too big a chance.

All ideas on the subject are really appreciated. I'm still befuddled (as the previous mail probably shows!)

Thanks
R

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, you know how long football time is? (The "two-minute warning" comes about half an hour before the game is actually over, for example.)

Editorial time is even longer. I would think that as long as you get it to them within a month, you probably haven't lost momentum.

The end of next week is a good goal to set for yourself, though.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are still looking for readers, I'd be happy to give it a go. MS Word format, please!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi guys

another question - this happens later than the segment above, but I'd like to get your opinion on it and what I should do with it. Trask, the lawman of the piece, has been imprisioned and is being moved to a torturer's cell.

quote:

They bound his hands awkwardly behind his back and gave him a shove to get him moving. Someone laughed when he stumbled at the foot of the stairs, the sound like a spear going through him.

Trask had thought he knew most of the guards, but those here at Hopewell gaol kept very much to themselves. He didn’t recognise them and they were more brutal than any he had ever known. They might know him but they looked on him as nothing more than a traitor, one who had fooled them and preyed on them.

But there was something else about them tonight, underlying their bravado. Trask knew that scent, could pick its source from a crowd of suspects, or use it to locate a victim. It was fear.

I'm unhappy with the second paragraph above. Any thoughts on how it could be improved, or should I drop it altogether?

Thanks
R

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Trask had thought he knew most of the guards, but those here at Hopewell gaol kept very much to themselves. He didn’’t recognise them and they were more brutal than any he had ever known. They might know him but they looked on him as nothing more than a traitor, one who had fooled them and preyed on them.

Sentence one says that he doesn’t know what he thought he knew and has never seen the guards before. Sentence two says he doesn’t recognize the guards, but that they are very brutal. Sentence three says that the guards know him and that he has preyed on them in the past.

In this instance, I would think that sentence two is the killer. If you lose it, the other two sentences seem to flow better.

Some questions. If he has preyed on them in the past, how come he doesn’t recognize them? If they kept to themselves, how did he prey on them? If he doesn’t recognize them, how does he know they are brutal? The paragraph before does not make them seem extraordinarily brutal.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Just to answer the questions:

The guards as a body are the law in the whole city of Klathport, those at Hopewell are one division of that body. So while he thought he knew most of the guards in the city, he didn't know many at Hopewell.

He hasn't preyed on them, but they think he has.

I think you're right about the brutality - it looks suspiciously like a case of telling rather than showing, in which case it can go.

I think that would leave me with something like this (this is off the top of my head):

quote:

Trask had thought he knew most of the guards of Klathport, but those here at Hopewell gaol kept very much to themselves. They might know him, but they looked on him as nothing more than a traitor to their kind, one who had fooled them and preyed on them.

Any better? Any other thoughts?

R

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, better. But the first paragraph was the one I found lacking, really. I mean, if these guards are to be considered particularly brutal....

Besides, you use "his" and "him" too much in that first sentence.

RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi

fair enough. There is more before this section, but I don't have it to hand. I can post later for explanation. The first sentence isn't the first of a chapter, or even a paragraph (13 lines!) but granted there are a lot of his and hims in it.

Given that, a character's name, his, him and various titles are bound to be used more than other words.

I'll have a look at it and get back to you.

R

goatboy
Member # 2062

quote:
Trask had thought he knew most of the guards of Klathport, but those here at Hopewell gaol kept very much to themselves. They might know him, but they looked on him as nothing more than a traitor to their kind, one who had fooled them and preyed on them.

Better. I would suggest changing the first half of the first sentence slightly. Leave out “had thought he” and add “well” at the end, so you have:

Trask knew most of the guards of Klathport well,

RFLong
Member # 1923

Here's the piece from the beginning. I've had a go at editing it given the replies here. Let me know...

quote:

There was no fanfare, no commotion outside, no warning at all. Even if he hadn’t been dozing fitfully on the stone flags, wrapped in his own cloak, Trask knew he would have heard nothing to alert him. The door opened and the light jarred him awake just before the guards seized him. They bound his hands awkwardly behind his back, twisting them up near to breaking. One gave him a shove to get him moving. Another laughed when he stumbled at the foot of the stairs, the sound like a spear going through him.

Trask knew most of the guards of Kalthport, but those here at Hopewell gaol kept very much to themselves. They might know him but they looked on him as nothing more than a traitor, one who had fooled them and preyed on them.

It continues as above.

R

Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, better.

By the way, did you decide that the attachment difficulties were some kind of omen to rework everything before getting it critted?

RFLong
Member # 1923

No. I thought I sent it on to you. Ack! This is getting silly. I will try again tonight - I know MaryRobinette and Shadowynd got it. Sorry about that.

I'm not reworking everything, but reading through and trying to catch anything (including typos and bad phrasing and anything else really) before I do in a fit of extreme paranoia. The current estimate is I send it off on Friday (eek!) as I lost a couple of days with visits from friends.

Anyway, don't worry if you can't get round to it by then - I'd still appreciate the crit if you don't mind.

Thanks
R

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw your e-mail address in the header, Survivor, so maybe it got snagged by a spam filter?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

Much better.
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi all

just to let you know that I sent off the initial chapters today.

So now the waiting begins...

Many thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions.

R

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.