Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Story idea for something I'm working on.

Author Topic: Story idea for something I'm working on.
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say I have this world that's strictly dependent its technological advancement, far more so than we are. They've been building robots (I use the term loosely; I refer to them in all shapes and sizes, androids abound) to take all the dirty jobs. Manual labor and whatnot. The society's leaning as far as it can toward being as autonomous as they can. Once they have robots doing every job that could be done by robots, most of them can focus on leisure, and the rest, on attempting to further the technology, or to explore space, or what have you. The point is, they're building more and more machines, and the only really sought-after jobs are programmers -- who are fervently working on programming robots that can learn how to program for them.

But this world has two quite large problems: One, they're running out of resources fast. It takes materials to build these things, and those materials are pretty much almost gone. Two, a radical group called (insert radical group here) is making hell on the robotics manufacturers, as they think that this system is placing far too much power in the robots' hands, and fear a hostile takeover, despite the three laws of robotics.

So then, let's say I have another world that exists more or less parallel to this one. Same shape, same size, same place, just grew up differently. Planetary fraternal twins, let's call them, that live on slightly different planes. This world has not been producing technology by themselves; they rely heavily on magic. Their system is simplified as thus: One corporation simply called the Company is host to three near-omniscient energy forms that monitor the world. If they detect any illegal use of magic, whether it's an unpermitted spell, or a permitted spell that commits a crime, they alert the Company, and it sends its Headhunters out to detain the criminal and clean up the mess he might have made. The Company is very good at what they do.

This world is rather primeval; its largest kingdom is ruled by a shapeshifting, backstabbing Queen named Nyth, and the Company's top Headhunter is an elf named Jerin who can either see exceptionally well and not hear at all, or hear exceptionally well and not see at all, but there's never any grey area. There are faeries and dwarves and most of the creatures of lore -- even demons, which is where one of this world's problems lies. Normally, the demons stick to their own business, playing their games of status and kicking back, just having fun, but once in a blue moon, there's a black sheep that just has to ruin it for them all. This black sheep's name is Raelk, and he's a dangerous mix of demon and man. The demon blood in him dictates to go kill things; the human in him says wait, stop, think about what you're doing. Regardless, he's making trouble for the Company, and they're going nuts just trying to find him.

Both worlds affect each other on an almost constant basis, though the denizens of each have no idea that the other exists. For example, Michael, a software programmer, has a strange knack for controlling the autonomous -- he can look at a light switch and it will fall, but he'll soon forget about it and pay it no real mind. At the same time, bits and pieces of his world's technology is showing up in Raelk's world, and getting twisted by magic -- a machine that is infested with nature's grace turns into something else entirely.

So here's my question: How do I get the two worlds to know each other? I have a plan, once they do; I want the people of the technological world to see the magic of the other world in effect and realize that it could solve their resources problem, then try to cultivate it as they did every other resource -- try to figure out what, exactly, magic is. I even have plans for that part of it, though it involves quite a bit of researching, but in the end, I'm going to have them start a group (lovingly named the Asimov Project) that is devoted to crafting robots who can cast limited magic -- just enough to make their tasks autonomous but effective. For example, a robot that can grow a forest over a period of a few years, or a satellite that can monitor the world's climate and make little changes here when needed. At the same time, the technological world could help the Company track and take down Raelk.

But how to make one and the other realize they exist?

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 21, 2004).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I) Time space warp
a) casued by high power atomic explosive
b) caused by scients trying to time travel
c) caused by black hole

II) Magical spell to travel across

III) Something else

IV) And something else.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
How about some sort of portal created by magic and activated by electronic fields?

Maybe that's what happens out in the Bermuda Triangle and Zone of Silence (not sure if I have that name right).

Or perhaps the planets aren't anywhere near each other but an offset of power caused be Raelk on the magical planet and the technological overload on the other planet is causing space to spontaneously fold bringing the two planets together.

just some ideas.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't necessarily have to explain it, either. Pehaps a strange artifact is found in the scientific world (say, by people/machines digging for more of those limited resources). This device, originally from the magical world, could open a portal where it is, open several portals at random throughout the world, or, perhaps better yet, start a direct merge between the two universes (maybe they were magically split long in the past from some since-forgotten reason? explore the past, you might find some intriguing ideas for the present)
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...you have plenty of options.

I'm partial to the "teleportation experiment gone awry" model, this would work for either world to discover the other. Ancient artifact (StoneHenge, Geza, Olmec cities, various others) portal being activated is another. Terrible accident is a little bit of a stretch, but doable.

Note that the three laws do allow a robot to do anything short of killing you, especially if it can get you to ask for it. Since the first law also prohibits robots from allowing humans to harm themselves or each other...I'd be surprised if they didn't figure out pretty darn quick that task number one would be to figure out a "harmless" but highly addictive and mood "improving" substance that humans would voluntarily imbibe. Pretty soon you'd all be grinning idiots safely swaddled away somewhere.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Could you make sure that whatever causes the portal to open (my mind is screaming Rift - too much Feist) is contributed to by both your major protagonists? (Raelk and Michael, I assume?) That way they're involved from the start, the major elements of both worlds (magic and technology) are both involved and share responsibility for the consequences.

i.e. Something Michael invented is transported through to Raelk's world. Raelk tampers with it and ka-boom! As the portal opens and the worlds collide, Michael recognises his invention as the trigger - as you might if the portal turns up in your living room etc.

Very techical description, I know.

One thing though, you've described how the discovery of magic effects the technological world - how does the technological world effect the magical one? How do they react to their world being "harvested" by the technological one?

Just a few thoughts

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited July 22, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still debating on how the magical world views technology. Their world is so -- what's the word? I want to say personal, but it's not quite right. They're involved in every aspect of their magic; they craft it and use it to suit their lifestyle. They control their world. The technological world is just the opposite; their goal is to let their creations control the world for them.

So on the one hand, the magical world might see an automaton as a vastly unnatural thing, some kind of insult to their magical way of life. On the other, however, they might be vastly curious about it, and start tinkering around with the mixture of magic and machine.

As for how they'd take the harvesting, that depends on how I decide magic works. As I see it, I have two options, there; either it's a technique, just another skill that manipulates things freely, or it's an actual resource that replenishes itself just fast enough to keep up with their world, but not fast enough to be ravaged by the technological world. So yeah, if it's the latter, I'm thinking they wouldn't like that. heh.

I'm leaning toward Michael creating a teleportation device that ends up sending itself barreling through time-space instead of its target. Raelk finds it, tinkers, havoc, etc.

Thanks for the input, guys.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest that you pick up a copy of Final Fantasy VII for the PS1... At the very least, you will see how easily Magic and Technology can be utilized equally in one world. At best, you'll have a great time playing it.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alfred,

Have you read any Piers Anthony? Specifically, the Apprentice Adept Series:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/59/paperback/ref=pd_serl_books/102-7556610-5581753

I'm not saying you are writing the same story - your stories are different! But Anthony also had parallel worlds - magic and tech, and solved problems of how they find each other and interact, and a protagonist who others had issues with... and if you haven't read it may I suggest reading the first three? It would also expose you to what's been done with similar issues.

Plus, they are really enjoyable books.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as were suggesting books. I would suggest "Changeling" by Roger Zelazny. It is about a wizard child born in a world of magic, who is swapped with a baby from a world run by technology. The wizard child is able to do limited magic in the technical world and the tech child builds twisted machines in the magic world.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

HSO: I can't tell you how many times I have played and re-played that game. It contends with FF3/6 frequently at the top of my all-time favorites. However, their vision of technology and magic is side-by-side; they drill the earth to extract magical energies, they block bullets with shields, etc. In that world, magic and technology are two separate entities; in the world I'm crafting, I'd like to see if I can eventually combine them into one either twisted monstrosity or wonderful hybrid.

puna: I loved A Spell for Chameleon, The Source of Magic, and Castle Roogna. I also read his book about the VR game that trapped someone (though I can't remember what it's called), and I haven't yet read the Apprentice Adept series. His Xanth books have me hooked enough as it is, and although the Mundania v. Xanth issue is similar to mine, I'd like to take it to a completely different level.

goatboy: That sounds really cool, and the "twisted machines" might lend some inspiration. I'll check it out.

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed his Xanth stuff too - didn't finish all of them because they kept coming out and I lost track!

The Apprentice Adept series is NOT Xanth (Proton and Phaze are the worlds' names), and definitely like what you are talking about. Even if you just read the blurbs describing the books at Borders.com - but they barely skim the surface. You will enjoy them too - maybe even more. They are still punny...

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness! Two postings with a character named Raelk. What are the odds?

I suppose it would help if I paid more attention to who is doing the posting

Glad to hear the first part you sent over is part of something bigger. I was so mad when it just ended!

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I just want to get inside this story and move stuff around to make it my own. Great concept, needs some work on some things I feel are a bit... hokey, and/or cliche... I can't really describe it. If you want, I'll post my ideas for changes to your summary when it's not almost 2:00 in the morning
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Has anyone mentioned the Doc Sidhe series yet?
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

Sure, Archer. I'm always up for ideas.

Survivor, I must confess that I've never heard of it.

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that you can read the first book free on Baen.com, the rest will cost you
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

I have a feeling that once I read the first, I'll have to buy the rest .. it'd better wait until I can afford it. :P
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Ok, here are my major comments:

Lose the 3 laws of robotics. They added a dimension to Asimov's books, but they aren't realistic if you look at reality.

People don't always buy computers off the shelf, and there are a large number of people who custom build their comps. I think people would be able to custom build their own robots, and not have to include those laws. Also, the robot companies wouldn't want to program those laws (which are easy to say, but if you think about it, they would be very complex to program) onto all of their robots (why would they need the laws on a car-building robot?).

It also gives you more freedom to have fun with the technology.

Also, you need a way to make an almost fully autonomous society work. I say have a 2 class system: the employed, and unemployed. The employed get to live in more luxurious homes, they get better food, and for every hour of work they put in, they get 10 minutes in a resort-type place (one or two in every city I suppose), so that they could either spend 80 minutes there after an 8 hour work day, or save up to go every weekend for 6 hours, and 20 min., or save up even further, etc.

The unemployed still get the same ammount of food, though not as high in quality, and they can only live in lower quality housing, and don't get any accsess to the spa/resort place.

The employed get the newest updates (in hardware and software) quicker than the unemployed. The only form of currency is work hours.

Now don't forget about all the jobs that robots might never do, because of the very nature of those jobs. Those include art (biggest would be movies and music), psychological jobs, teaching (this one should be in threat of robotization, with the exception of art, and philosophy techers, etc.), and theoretical sciences (astrophysics, etc.).

It would be interesting to see or hear about a philanthropist who owns a few robot-free factories, to help give people jobs (should you choose to go this route).

Also, the programmer's union (sure to be formed in this world) wouldn't allow programmers to program programming bots, kicking anyone who tries this out of the union.

I personally think you should keep the magic world human. It adds credibility to the story, and doesn't seem as hokey (to me at least). Jerin could simply be a human who can hear very well, is totally blind, and can sense magic himself w/o any assistance by whatever the rest of the Company uses...

I say the only non-human race you should keep is the Deamon race. But they should only be a sort of illuminati kind of people, with their hands in everything (maybe even controlling Nyth). They could also be the ones hiding the link between the two worlds. They would hire Jarin to discover why their world is being affected by the other world (they wouldn't tell him about the other world), and he would find out etc.

If you do decide to change it to that, Raelk would be hunted for a different reason: he's the only half-breed, and because of this, he's hunted. He would have all the strengths of both species, but also all the weaknesses.

I think that Michael shouldn't forget he can do those things, he should just hide it from others.

The technology should show up in the magic world because the deamons bring it in (though they hide that they're doing it), and the change that they hire Jarin to investigate should be pollution, etc. that the deamons don't know how to control when they bring in technology.

The link between them should be some sort of gateway that the deamons hide from both sides...

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

Hmmmm.

The three laws was, admittedly, just kind of thrown out there because it made sense at the time, and now that I think about it, in this context it really doesn't.

That type of society is the best idea there, I think. I wonder if, though, the programmer's union would fail to someone setting up a reward system for the programmers -- extra hours for establishing benchmarks in the projects, for example, and pension to those who contribute to their success to compensate being replaced by the machines.

I like the idea of the demons' role; it's not too far from what it already is, although I'm iffy on giving them that much influence over the world. I might tweak it a bit.

I'm not so sure about keeping everything human; you're right, it'd add credibility, but on the other hand, it's a lot of fun writing about different types of creatures, so long as it doesn't get out of hand. I suppose that's one of those things that I'll have to write the both sides of, and see which ones work.

Thanks for the input.

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 27, 2004).]

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

I think the union should be mafia-style Anyone who threatens the union gets... eliminated...

As for the level of other races in the magic world- whatever you decide to do, do it realistically. Dwarves are closer to what we call dwarves (almost reg. sized torso and reg. sized head with small limbs, a la the one on Seinfeld, as opposed to a midget, a la mini-me).

I think that if you include faeries, they should be mystical- they only hang around the upper-echelon people, flying around their shoulders, and whispering into their ears. In other words- advisors to those in power.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

For faeries, I was actually considering giving them a very dark role. Personally, I think that if they were thrown in a world like that one, especially if there was an illuminati-style organization running behind the scenes, they'd find that their societal niche would be reconaissance and assassination. I mean, folklore speaks of tiny, intelligent, flying creatures, often invisible or able to become invisible. I can just see one with a nanometer-long, poison-tipped pinpoint going around doing dirty work, y'know?

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 27, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
Now don't forget about all the jobs that robots might never do, because of the very nature of those jobs. Those include art (biggest would be movies and music), psychological jobs, teaching (this one should be in threat of robotization, with the exception of art, and philosophy techers, etc.), and theoretical sciences (astrophysics, etc.).

I don't know if this necessarily needs to be the case. Consider Data on Star Trek TNG. Yes he was an android, but it sounds like andriods will be a part of this society. It could be used as a point of conflict in the story.

quote:
But this world has two quite large problems: One, they're running out of resources fast. It takes materials to build these things, and those materials are pretty much almost gone. Two, a radical group called (insert radical group here) is making hell on the robotics manufacturers, as they think that this system is placing far too much power in the robots' hands, and fear a hostile takeover, despite the three laws of robotics.

I also don't like the idea of sticking to the "three laws". First of all, I'm not entirely familliar with them so why would I care about them. Second, one of the first places you might expect to see robots/androids take over is the military. Why send your troops to die when you can manufature robots who don't have families who care? If robots won't kill senients they'd make pretty useless soldiers.

my 2 cents

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

They cannot be Data-style androids because of the automation that the society strives for. They want robots to do what they're told and only what they're told, giving no thought to anything else. This rules out the possibility of, as Archer said, careers in astrophysics, religion, etc. I'm thinking that those areas might be seen as leisurely careers, less rewarding than the set-in-stone ones.

About the three laws, like I said above, they really can't apply here, so I just scrapped 'em, heh.

Survivor
Member # 213

You might try something with making several different "races" of robots to complement your non-human races in the magical world.

For instance, there would be all the military/police type robots, with fundamentally different programming and build from other types of robots. Then you might have personal assistent types, and industrial/manufacturing types, and medical types (those ones would have something like a cross between the first law and the Hippocratic Oath going), and so one. There would even be a couple of secret, illegal/covert types used specifically to keep the system running smoothly.

Consider having robot "talent" too, anderoids that can pass for human well enough to be "celebrities" without needing to be so well paid. Oh, I'm just being wicked now....

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

I've been tossing ideas around for a bit, and I wrote this off the top of my head today. Tell me what you think.

A man with no name walked into a crowd of people wearing the same suits as he. They entered a nondescript building with chipped paint on the arch above the entryway and two cameras, one on each side. The cameras did not track so much as control: They knew the names of the people, even if the people themselves did not.

They wore the same suits and, for now, were the same gender, had the same IQ. They liked and disliked the same things. The only difference between one man and the next was his destination from this building.

The building was called Gateway. The man with no name joined his comrades on moving sidewalks within the building. As the cameras watched, they calculated, and the sidewalks moved each man to the proper platform and then stopped. Some platforms had many men and some had few, but no platform was empty. A set of cars on a railway awaited them, and when the sidewalks stopped, the doors opened, and the crowd stepped inside. When the cameras were sure that the Gateway was empty, the cars dropped, the rails split, and each car went its separate way.

NOTE FROM KATHLEEN:

Sorry, 13 lines of text only.

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 28, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 28, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Is the "man with no name" a robot? From the first section when you talk about all the people going into the building, it sounds like they are mindless, genderless robots. However by the end, the man seems at least partly human.

Also, it all sounds so very restrictive. From what you described before, it sounded like the tech world wanted everything to be automated so they could be free to pursue anything they wanted? I understand using time as a currency but this sounds like a very undesirable society to live in.imo.

On a completely unrelated matter, because you are dealing with a robotic/computerized society, the name "Gateway" immeadiately made me think of Gateway the computer company with the funky cow commercials Not sure if this was intended. In the larger context of the book the association may not even be an issue.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty interesting. Reminds me of the movie THX-1138.
I got an immediate sense of potential conflict and tension. It left me wanting to read more. Also, I love the way you described the cross-walk man's confusion. Funny and yet so sad.

I was a little confused about who exactly is in control in this world. In the first section, the cameras are described as being in control, as if they are part of an autonomous AI program or something.
But in the later sections we find out that the cameras are operated by people, so then the first section's tone didn't seem quite right.

Also, if the people have codes, then they really don't have "no name". As in THX-1138, if each person is identified by a code, that is their name\title. Then they would be identifiable by their code numbers.

Small concern with the barcode. It bothers me because if the person is wearing a scarf, it won't work. So maybe they need some sort of transponder or tracking device implanted.

Because it deviates from schedule, the camera operator knows when people are doing something leisurely, but how can they know what their intention is? Maybe they could "clock in" and "clock out" to do the leisurely thing. Then if they are not properly "clocked" and a camera operator sees them, they could get into really big trouble. And if they are in big trouble, they are punished.

As I was reading it, I wanted to see what punishment the crosswalk man got. I wanted to understand what it involved so I could understand why they are so hesitant to mess-up.

I can see where a community living under these restrictions would be pretty crime-free. Except of course for all of the misdemeanors.
Also, humans living in this sort of place would probably develop some black market ways of getting rid of tension, boredom and aggression. That would be an interesting angle.

Can't wait to see how some of your other ideas from this thread are going to fit in.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

Robyn: So far, I'm thinking that it's very restrictive only in that you must follow the rules when doing what you want with the time you've earned. Nobody said the man couldn't walk to the store, only that he had to stay between the white lines when crossing the street. It'll probably be a lot of those minor details that make it seem restrictive.

I'm glad that the crowd in the beginning gave you the impression of robots; that's exactly what I was going for. I didn't write it here, but I will eventually, that the people undergo a complete change when they're off duty. When they have time to themselves, they have names, friends, jokes, and fun; when they're working, they're all the exact same person.

You know, I haven't seen a Gateway cow commercial in ages.

News: I'm actually still debating on who's in control. At the moment, it's people loosely behind the machines, but eventually, I'll want the people to have programmed the machines to be able to do what the man in the booth did themselves; i.e. being able to distinguish between leisure and work, and being able to tell when someone's breaking the rules.

I'm still not sure how the machine is able to tell what the man's intention was when he was going to the store, but I'll work that out. In fact, any ideas would be helpful. I definitely want the machines to be able to tell.

I hadn't thought about that black market angle ... that would be interesting. Hmm.

[ edit: I forgot to mention -- the "man with no name" is indeed a man ]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Are you considering including cyborgs or some form of cybernetics?

Perhaps instead of scanning barcodes, the cameras scan for a specific radio frequency from electronic tags. Cybernetic impants or enhancements could even be used to i.d. people, kind of like dental records.

Just some thoughts

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

I've been giving the barcodes quite a bit of thought, and a possibility sparked in my head:

What if the people behind the cameras put the barcodes on the back of the neck, then left them there, and simply highly discouraged people from covering them up? It would eventually come to pass that covering them up would be seen as highly suspicious, as the only reason the cameras scan the codes is to either ship you off to your work, or to mark a crime down on your record and identify you to put out an arrest, as per the man who did not cross between the lines.

That thought lead to the thought of crime itself. I was wondering how I would illustrate crime's very low effect on the society, and I thought of this:

A man walks into a store to rob it in a very stereotypical manner, except he does not have a weapon. He has his code covered up and simply yells at the cashier in a threatening manner, eventually thrusting a bag out for the money. The cashier doesn't resist, and the people in the store don't even seem to notice his actions. The man, after he gets the money, dashes out. The following line is what stands out in my head:

"What criminals these days didn't seem to notice was the extent to which the cameras were watching them. The man could not be coded, but nor could he leave his neck covered at all times, and at all times would he be watched. When he walked the streets, the cameras were fixed on him, when he arrived at his home, the cameras were fixed at him, and, eventually, when he stripped to shower, the cameras were fixed on him. He was apprehended before he was fully dry."

What do you think?

[ edit to Kathleen: Doh! Sorry, I completely forgot. Thanks for correcting it. ]

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 29, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

The reason you use a barcode is because you have something much simpler than a camera which you're using to read the barcodes. If the software or whatever controlling the cameras is advanced enough to track a guy's movements until he uncovers his neck, then it would be simpler to just send a police unit to his current location.

The back of the neck would be a particularly obtuse place to put the barcode if you wanted to be able to read it using fixed cameras, unless you're going to make both long hair and high collars a crime (leaving aside the question of whether such ought to be the case, please).

If you want to put a barcode somewhere, it should be such that a person could easily submit that body part to be scanned by a device or person to the front. For instance, you approach a security gate and show the back of your hand, or your face, or whatever. But barcodes are a bit passe and silly, it would be remarkably easy to simply fake a barcode, after all.

And we use radio tagging for merchendise already, so it's a bit hard to see why a technologically advanced society would still be using barcodes.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

Hmmm.

True enough. The reason enforcement isn't immediately just sent to the location is because the code isn't a locator; it's an identifier. A first-offense misdemeanor and a third-offense felony would be treated differently, and different people would be dispatched. However, I see what you're saying about the barcodes themselves; I'll find something else to use. I'd like to keep them as robotic as possible (that was the original thought behind the barcodes in the first place).

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a magnetic proximity sensor with an embedded individual code. Whenever the person passed within proximity to the "reader" or scanning device, it would detect their presence.

This could also work into your magic system as well, because magic could affect the magnetic fields. These magnetic sensors could be simulated by someone using magic. It may be useful as the story progresses, and the worlds begin to merge.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

Well, I'd really prefer the cameras see everywhere at once, and have the ability to scan everyone at once. Those proximity sensors would have to cover every inch of the world, and if that were the case, you might as well just have the cameras able to scan the people at will.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Going back to the original post about how the two worlds could connect.

What if they had been connected at one time in the past. Something causes the connection to be severed but certain base things will be common between the two worlds.

Instead of reading barcodes, perhaps the cameras read auras or chis or something. Everybody has a slightly different aura or chi. They aren't locators but they identify people like a fingerprint.

In the magical world, perhaps there is a certain amount of industrialisation (I've probably just butchered the spelling of that ). Some mechanisations that are either operated by magic. Or a set of animation magics.

Just some random ramblings

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited August 04, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.