Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Outleaf - Novel - First 13 lines

Author Topic: Outleaf - Novel - First 13 lines
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the opening of the novel is so important, I figured it would be nice to get some feedback prior to writing the whole novel (which is outlined and I have extensive notes). It is a sci-fi set on a world with three sentient species, of which humans are one. (Deep breath . . .)
Here goes!

Proty was fifteen years old when he became outleaf for murdering his father. That was the effect of a cause which began when he was about twelve years old, with the entrance of a serpent into his Eden.
One morning in the spring of his twelfth year, Proty woke with excitement from his sleeping mat. Today the annual Festival of Twins was to begin. The Twin Caravan was due to arrive sometime this morning, and every year brought with it new and interesting things and people to his village’s Tree. He performed his customary waking exercises, watching the breeze blow the sleeping curtains in from the edge of his family’s leaf as he did so. Standing, he automatically walked along the lighter, center portion of the broad, flat leaf. There was strong support there, and it was a natural path to the base of the leaf and the single trunk of the branchless Tree. He paused at the twin nodes spaced on either side of the short thick stalk of the dark leaf, eliminating into the left one and drinking from the one on the right, as he did every morning. The Tree used the waste of her inhabitants as fertilizer, and brought them clear, nutrient-enriched water from her roots to drink.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome.

My immediate response is to suggest either cutting the first paragraph, or--if you really feel we need that information up front--writing that scene and using it as a prologue.

The world that you've created looks intriguing. I'm very curious about the size of Proty. I can't tell if he's very, very small or if the leaf is very large.

I know that I've done this myself, but lots of stories start with the character's waking up. While the information about his world is interesting it might not be the best hook you can provide us with. If you want to stay here, as the starting point I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Is anyone else awake? Did he wake up early? "One morning" is fairly generic--why not say "The morning of the annual Festival of the Twins..." or something a little less awkward than my phrasing. What are the customary waking exercises? Are they zen-like, meditation, maritial?

Hope some of this is useful, ignore what isn't.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the post. I put the first two sentences there because that is really the heart of the novel, and where the title comes from. If you don't know right away that Proty becomes outleaf (outcast from his society) I am not sure how to make the beginning more punchy. I want to paint the idyll he lives in first, before destroying it. But as everyone knows, perfection is boring, which is why I did the foreshadowing. Plus Uncle Card does say that the opening paragraph is a freebie. But I am over-justifying myself, and I know I won't be able to respond to an editor this way, so thank you very much for your response. I am curious if anyone else feels the same about the opening?
BTW, the tree is huge (and sentient, it has a symbiotic relationship with humans). It is a lighter gravity planet and the humans are normal sized. It will take me a couple of chapters to do justice to it without putting too many descriptions to stall the action.
Also, re: the opening with him waking up, I am WAY guilty of overusing that. But since he immediately left the tree I wanted to start painting the portrait of his world from the most likely spot, i.e. his first impressions in the morning. Maybe I could start with the Festival itself and describe the tree when he goes to bed?
I am new here and if my reply is out of line or too long or inappropriate please tell me. I want to respect the rules.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Oh, forgot to answer the exercise question. They are basically balance and core-strengthening exercises. Obviously balance is very important to a tree dwelling people. They all practice from the time they learn to walk. I go into that later on in the chapter.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Here is a reworked version. I am trying to convey the same information but have taken it out of the novel proper and made it an intro of sorts(my hubbie's brainstorm).
What do you think now?

“Proty was only fifteen years old when he became outleaf for murdering his father. But every effect has a cause, and Proty’s began with the coming of Ranthamar.” -- excerpt from The Book of the Twins

Today marked the beginning of the annual Festival of Twins. The Twin Caravan was due to arrive sometime this morning, and every year brought with it new and interesting things and people to Proty’s Tree. Upon waking, he performed his customary balance exercises, watching the breeze blow the sleeping curtains in from the edge of his family’s leaf as he did so. Standing, he automatically walked around his parent’s empty mats to the light colored, center portion of the broad, flat leaf. There was strong support there, and it was a natural path to the base of the leaf and the single trunk of the branchless Tree. He paused at the twin nodes spaced on either side of the short thick stalk of the dark leaf, eliminating into the left one and drinking from the one on the right, as he did every morning.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things: The first is, putting that first paragraph into a chapter prologue might work, but not if it refers to when Proty was 15 and the chapter that it starts off is when Proty is only 12.

Second, if Proty doesn't get into trouble until he's fifteen, then that's probably where you want to start. You can give us a short bit of the idyllic period before the disaster if it's sufficiently interesting (and all this talk of people living on leaves and stuff can carry you for a little while, as long as the character himself has some interest as well), but I don't see why you'd need 3 years of it. A day would work fine. By the end of page 3 he should encounter the problem which really starts off the novel. Or at least a subsidiary problem which leads into the main one.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited August 08, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

The reason I have to back up three years is actually important to the plot, and it is important that those years pass. The bad guy takes time to poison the mind of Proty, and I need to show a couple scenes where you see him before, going through the process, and after when he is a rebellious teenager.

Plus, the sentient tree that is one of the main characters begins to die. Trees don't die overnight even on Earth, and this tree would probably take a hundred years or more to actually decease, except for when Proty in one night hastens its death and murders his father. There is no way the reader would recognize the death signs (since the POV character himself at first misses them) without having something to compare to.

The prologue was trying to be in the vein of the headers Asimov uses in Prelude to Foundation, or the Princess Irulan bits in Dune. Each chapter will have an excerpt at the start, a bit of a tease for what's to come, to help hold interest.

I don't plan on doing those three years in excrutiating detail. The first chapter will be the brunt, and maybe one other connecting chapter, before the actual events leading to the murder begin. But this world is very complex, and I don't think I'll lose the reader to boredom; rather it might be too much going on. This world has been growing in my mind for over a decade now, and the problem will most likely be in getting too caught up in the millieu, although I am trying very very hard to have a good balance.

This particular opening is about the sixth version I have done, each time making it only a dozen pages or so before I realized that the book hadn't started in the right place. I initially tried to start with the murder, but would have to have sooooo much backfill and memories and explanations to make the reader care about the characters that it just didn't work as the first chapter. I then backed up only a couple months, and that wasn't working for me either. This time, when I approached it from the angle of, when does his Eden first become corrupted? I realized that it is this Festival when he is twelve that truly is the beginning of the story.

If I eliminate the prologue quote, do the first thirteen lines still grab you? Maybe I can get away with leaving it out, but for a decade I've had this mental image of the murder being the focus of the first third of the novel, and I don't want to wait to introduce it. Since I can't have the murder itself until a couple chapters later, I wanted to at least allude to it. But I realize I am too close to this to see it at all objectively, so I am just telling you my thought process.

I need help weeding out my emotions during this editing process, but I also need to get early feedback, so I'm trying to allow my baby to lie naked on a table in front of a bunch of doctors, without grabbing it up and wrapping it in snuggly blankets, never to be seen again.

Thanks for your patience with my prickliness.

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not read of the previous comments to retain editorial integrity.

COMMENTS IN CAPS

quote:

Proty was fifteen years old when he became outleaf for murdering his father. That was the effect of a cause which began when he was about twelve years old, with the entrance of a serpent into his Eden.
[ODD PHRASING - THAT WAS THE EFFECT OF A CAUSE]

[NOT SURE FOR A MOMENT IF THIS PARAGRAPH IS A FLASHBACK TO OUTLEAF THINGY OR NOT. MAKING THE CONNECTION STRONGER WOULD PROBABLY MAKE IT MUCH MORE COMPELLING]
One morning in the spring of his twelfth year, Proty woke with excitement from his sleeping mat. Today the annual Festival of Twins was to begin. The Twin Caravan was due to arrive sometime this morning, and every year brought with it new and interesting things and people to his village’s Tree.

[SPACE ADDED]
He performed his customary waking exercises, watching the breeze blow the sleeping curtains in from the edge of his family’s leaf as he did so. Standing, he automatically walked along the lighter, center portion of the broad, flat leaf. There was strong support there, and it was a natural path to the base of the leaf and the single trunk of the branchless Tree. [ALL THIS DESCRIPTION IS BORDERING ON THE LINE OF HEAVYNIESS]He paused at the twin nodes spaced on either side of the short thick stalk of the dark leaf, eliminating into the left one and drinking from the one on the right, as he did every morning.

[SPACE ADDED]
The Tree used the waste of her inhabitants as fertilizer, and brought them clear, nutrient-enriched water from her roots to drink.

Interesting. Promises much. Good luck!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you're starting in the right place. But I don't think you need to allude to the murder ahead of time. It's going to happen soon enough, anyway. Just make sure that those early chapters hold our attention.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to second Mr. Fisher's opinion. Try writing it without the chapter header's, and add them only if absolutely necessary. I feel like they provide you an easy out for adding tension to your scenes.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary said:

"Try writing it without the chapter header's, and add them only if absolutely necessary. I feel like they provide you an easy out for adding tension to your scenes."

Is that a bad thing?

Here's my take on the chapter headers, Ms. (or Mr.?) Muse: I hated the first paragraph of your first example, and I like the way you did it the second time, by making it an excerpt from a book. The reason I hated it in the first example is that it's a pretty confusing paragraph, and really doesn't give much information at all. It confuses more than anything else. In the second example, because it's an excerpt from a book instead of part of the narrative, it doesn't bother me that it doesn't really say very much.

And Mr. Fisher, allow me to take issue with your comment. I see absolutely no problem with starting the chapter with a book excerpt from when Proty was 15 when Proty is only 12 in the chapter. The narrator is presumably telling the story at some point in time AFTER the end of the story. After all, the last chapter will presumably still be in past tense. It is entirely possible, even probable, that the narrator would have access to the Book of the Twins (whatever the hell that is) as he/she is telling the story.

For published backup that this can work well, check out OSC's "Speaker for the Dead" trilogy. He does almost exactly the same thing quoting "The Whispers of Han Qinj Jao" (I think I got the name right), a book that was written after the character died, some time after the end of the last book in the trilogy.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I know it can work well, and I think that the second example is fine but, I also think that if autumnmuse can make the story hold us without them that it will benefit the book. I suspect that even if she follows my advice she will go back and add the excerpts because it will heighten the tension. I still think that if the book can be compelling without that foreknowledge then it will be stronger. When I said, "easy out" what I meant was the excerpts provide tension by letting us know something bad is going to happen; this could take the place of building the tension within each scene, which is the harder option.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited August 09, 2004).]

Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for Warrior Poet   Email Warrior Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be brutally honest, Autumnmuse (I'm going to call you AM from now on. Hope you don't mind.) as I said, honesty.

I'm bored. You aren't drawing me in. The world is an interesting idea, but the situation makes me snooze. Now others might disagree with me. They might love what you're laying down, but I want you to grab me. I wanna' be in the shit, as it were.

Where does Proty find himself after being declared Outleaf? What does he face? How will he try to to survive? Does he deserve to? Is he in need of redemption?

The backstory you can weave in as his dilemma progresses. Have hime dream of the idyllic setting of his homeleaf, and all he has lost after narrowly escaping some huge threat the pushes him further on his journey of self discovery and recovery. Or something like that.

If you want to describe his homeleaf, do it in such a way that we as readers long to be there too, but we can't. We have to follow young Proty's road because it is to darn compelling to look away from, capishe?

That said, I think you have skill. Whatever you do, let it be your own. And smile, AM, I still like ya', even if this story does bores me so far.

May your pen flow like the currents of the Nile; long and with storied history.

WP

[This message has been edited by Warrior Poet (edited August 10, 2004).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Hey WP, you just coined a new word in your post: "homeleaf." I hadn't thought of it, but if you don't mind I'll probably incorporate it into the vocabulary of my novel. It's perfect.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I feel like you are right in a lot of ways. Action is always difficult for me. Character and milieu seem to come naturally, but dialogue, events and making the reader care are not as easy. That's why I posted this.

I know that you think the beginning is boring, but let me ask you this: if a character you were just introduced to a couple pages ago is killed, would you care? Probably not. But it is important to the plot that the reader cares about this death, because when Proty's father dies it has a ripple effect which eventually shatters the entire society he lives in. Because the milieu is so complex, it takes a lot of description to fill the reader in.

Description by itself is very boring, and I consistently skip it when there are long paragraphs in any novel, so I know that to do that in my own is asking for a death sentence.

Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle; I think the question I need you guys to help me with is this: how do you present a milieu while keeping the story fast-paced, without either losing the reader because they cannot picture the situation, or losing them because they are bored? Does it work to have a large part of a character's transformation told in backflashes?

Will a reader be patient with me if there are a lot of new concepts introduced in a short space of time, or do I have to spread them out a little?

For example, in this novel I have to introduce:
*Sentient trees with hollow trunks, no branches, and large flat leaves at intervals. People live on these leaves, except near the top, where outlaws are banished to. One villager (Proty's father Barak) is the spokesperson; he descends into a node at the base of the trunk and communicates by singing underground to the roots.
*An alien species which is also symbiotic to the tree, living at the uppermost four leaves. They weave these leaves into a bowl, which is filled with water by rain. They lay larvae in the water, which hatch and feed off nutrients the parents secrete in the water. They transform into avians after pupating, and communicate with the tree also by singing, this time underwater at the top of the tree. Humans are not aware of this relationship.
*A society where identical twins speak mind-to-mind, but only with their own twin. The system of communication on this planet comes about because the twins are physically separated in early childhood, and pass messages mentally from village to village.
*An evil cult feels the trees are diabolical, and sends members to create chaos and cause the downfall and death of the trees by infiltrating the villages.
*Lots of other concepts which I won't go into here.

I know that this can be done, and I have read lots of books which do it, but the problem for me is walking that tightrope between boring and incomprehensible. Help!!

rickfisher
Member # 1214

quote:
I see absolutely no problem with starting the chapter with a book excerpt from when Proty was 15 when Proty is only 12 in the chapter. ...the narrator would have access to the Book of the Twins...OSC's [Xenocide] does almost exactly the same thing quoting "The Whispers of Han Qinj Jao"...
I was going to let this go as a difference in approach, but decided, sometime during the night, that it's an important (though perhaps small) point.

The thing is, Qing Jao's "Whispers" were a collection of philosophical statements. They were not about the life of Qing Jao, so chronology was irrelevant. Each quote had some relevance to the events of the current chapter.

On the other hand, an excerpt which talks about Proty when he's 15, followed by a chapter when he's 12, simply turns the chapter into a flashback. Now, there are ways in which it could be done: "For the 3 years before Proty murdered his father he lived in what might generally be considered paradise," or something. But, see, this is still really about the time before the murder, rather than about the time when he was 15. The 2 sentences given in the prologue actually come close enough to doing this that this prologue might slip by, as it goes from the murder to the cause, and presumably that cause will be discussed in the current chapter. But, to me, it still sounds like (and is) a flashback. Drop the first sentence, start with "Every effect has a cause...," and I'll drop my objection. (It will also make more obvious the flaw in that sentence's construction (Proty's what? His cause? His effect?) but I'm sure you can fix that.

Oh, and wetwilly, only MaryRobinette is allowed to call me Mr. Fisher.

One point, autumnmuse, about writing little prologues like that. If they are purportedly from some "Book of the Twins", then they should be written in a different voice, if you can maintain it consistently for all such excerpts, or at least a different style, if you can't.

quote:
I know that you think the beginning is boring, but let me ask you this: if a character you were just introduced to a couple pages ago is killed, would you care? Probably not.
Good point, autumnmuse. This is exactly correct. It's why including the information about the murder at the very beginning of your story is not a very successful hook. Okay, it might pique some interest, but not enough to carry you through a few boring pages. Just make sure the pages are interesting. The thing is, you mention the coming of Ranthamar as the starting event that results in the upcoming murder. All right, then, just start your book with his arrival. Whatever or whoever Ranthamar is, his arrival should allow for some immediate conflict, and conflict + interesting characters = interest.

By the way, OSC has been held up on a regular basis as a good handler of character, but he also is pretty good with action and external danger and stuff, and sometimes those get in the way of seeing how much he's capable of. For those who haven't done so, I recommend reading at least the beginnings of his "Women of Genesis" books. At the beginning of Sarah, for example, the girl Sarai is expecting the arrival of her sister's husband -to-be. This is not a formula a good hook. And yet, anytime I pick it up and begin reading it, I am immediately hooked. Why? His handling of character.

quote:
Maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle; I think the question I need you guys to help me with is this: how do you present a milieu while keeping the story fast-paced, without either losing the reader because they cannot picture the situation, or losing them because they are bored? Does it work to have a large part of a character's transformation told in backflashes?
Nix on the flashbacks. A character's transformation should be interesting in itself. If you can't make it so, then you haven't engaged the reader with your character sufficiently. If you can't engage the reader to that extent, then you should probably be writing plot-driven stories. The milieu needs to presented through the eyes of the POV character. If you do this, it slows the pace down by only a small amount--or may even increase it, by giving us insights into the character at the same time as it reveals the world.

This isn't easy. You'll find yourself having to leave out important things, and so you'll want to put them in as regular exposition. My advice is, make sure those things are really important for the reader to know, first. Especially at the beginning--if you leave a fact out, will it interfere with the reader's understanding of the story later on? I think you'd be surprised how often it won't. Later on, as the reader becomes more engaged with the world itself (this takes longer than becoming engaged with a character), you can include more detail because the details will have become interesting in their own right.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited August 10, 2004).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Something that I've had surprising success with, which Mr. Fisher just mentioned, is not explaining things. Here's a way of writing that works for me, (subject to change) I write the story/book without worrying about explaining the world. I hand it to one or two readers and ask them to read with just "Huh?" in mind. Generally speaking, that will tell me exactly when I need to provide specific info. If they aren't confused, then I've already given them enough.

Do you want to send me your outline?

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Here's a related question. Does anyone have suggestions on how to communicate the concept of a world that has lighter gravity than earth, when your POV character has never known differently? It is not enough lighter that they would, say, bounce around as they walk. It's just enough lighter to make the gigantic trees plausible, especially to have humans climbing up and down them all the time. I describe the mountains as being spiky, and other things as skinny, or tall and narrow, but I don't know if that is good enough. Any thoughts?

MaryRobinette: I am revising my outline a bit so I don't have a good version to send you, but I will as soon as I finish.

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited August 11, 2004).]

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ms. Robinette has a good point, tell your story. You may care about your world, but to your reader it is merely the scene for the story. Tell your story, describe the necessary scenes, and the reader should get a feel for the world you have created.

And of course, if your characters are sufficiently engaging, we will interact with the world through your characters.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Check out the Ringworld series. Similar issues are dealt with there.

(psst. yanos. Robinette is my middle name, so I'm either Mary, or Mary Robinette, or MR, or Mrs. Kowal)

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited August 11, 2004).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is not enough lighter that they would, say, bounce around as they walk. It's just enough lighter to make the gigantic trees plausible, especially to have humans climbing up and down them all the time.

Why does gravity have to be an issue for this? On Earth, trees vary greatly in size. There are trees big enough around that you can drive a car through them! And as for climbing all the time. Some natives in the Amazon spend much of their time in the trees.

Another thought. Something RickFisher said made me think about maybe using quotes as a preface to each chapter. Check out The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper or Middlemarch by George Eliot. This way you introduce an idea to foreshadow. Since you mention a personal eden, perhaps a biblical qupte would do. Or The Lord of the Flies talks about a scarred eden, perhaps a quote from there would work.

Just some thoughts.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

If the lighter gravity isn't enough to notice, it's not important to the story. Forget it. There can be other reasons for tall trees and strong leaves. (Especially since a marginally lesser gravity wouldn't, by itself, allow much difference in tree height anyway.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.