Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Character Challenge (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Character Challenge
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I challenge y'all to create the most memorable character possible, using no more than 30 words.

The challenge ends Monday evening, September 6, at midnight.

Please submit all entries below and discuss them elsewhere.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Or not!

quote:

"My friends call me Grim.
My enemies call for help, then they die."

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Just letting you know someone is thining about this...

(Whoa two challenges at once! )

[LOL Mike! But I'm not thinning about it, I'm just sort of thinking about it. ]

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Well! Not only a challenger, but also losing weight over it! Cool! Maybe I can set myself up as a weight loss guru and make scads of money!

Do you have to be thin? I know you have to be incredily insensitive, and i an probably manage that, but do you have to be thin?

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do it! he says slimmingly.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Another challenge? Hmmm.

Wait. Too much to do. Must resist...must...re...sist.

Okay, I'll try it. But just as a writing exercise.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Midnight in which time zone, exactly?

I'm in. Maybe. We'll see.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

It's ONLY 30 words, folks!!! Or less!
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Some believe that for true love, one should be willing to die. But me, I would be willing to kill my best friend for Jill. That’s true love.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
EPHIPHANY STRIKES! 30 words, EXACTLY!!

A boy, fine featured and easily mistaken for a girl but for the jaunty thrust of his chin and a stride that mimicked the man he so longed to become.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited September 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Venin tried hiding the bracelet that marked his treachery. Yet, even if others couldn't see it, its cold magic continually prodded him until he thought he would go mad.
Keeley
Member # 2088

Okay, I have a question.

By "most memorable character" are we talking about a physical description or a description of a memorable characteristic, trait, attitude, etc.?

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
I took it to mean memorable in any manner; very open to interpretation.

Susan, who is working on paring hers down to 30 words.

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anyting to add; I just noticed that the counter for this Feedback Forum was at 4999 and I wanted to be able to say I posted message number 5000.

What's my prize?

Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Using a character straight from my 3BGG rewrite, proving you just can't keep a good ninja down!

Susan

Aneikaze slipped the cherry pit tenderly into the hole. Five months before, the ninja had killed two thieves here; now it was time to return a life for a life.

[This message has been edited by shadowynd (edited September 01, 2004).]

Ferrus Magnate
Member # 2157

- posted      Profile for Ferrus Magnate   Email Ferrus Magnate         Edit/Delete Post 
Ferrus Magnate held the sum total knowledge of the universe in his mind. Trouble was, his mind was in a small box outside Hoboken.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
He huddled in the stone corner to cry, wishing desperately that he could remember his name. But his wishes no longer had power. They had stolen that from him, too.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one for ya. 30 words exactly!

“Stanley!”
Stanley turned and pulled his finger from his nose just long enough to slide it into his mouth. His eyes closed as he savored the saltiness, ignoring his mother.

PS. Edmund, your prize is a Laurel and hearty handshake. (Blazing Saddles)

[This message has been edited by TruHero (edited September 02, 2004).]

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, some of these make interesting hooks.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
this guy is a characterfor an upcoming piece of mine. He's one of the main characters.

Tower,a powerful meta, looked sadistically at his bounty, cracked his knuckles and said,"We can do this the easy way or the hard way. I prefer the hard way!"

-BHJr-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Edmund arched his back until his spine creaked with tension. “4,998!” he whispered, “4,999!”, and as his finger jabbed triumphantly down “5,000!", he roared, "5,000!”

Maybe now he could sleep.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 02, 2004).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
A slightly rancid odor tickled at Katrina’s nose as she unwrapped the piece of liver, her hands trembling with their customary uncoordinated dance, age spots aquiver. If only an onion.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;

Of course I didn't write this, but I think Shakespeare would have posted it himself if he were still around.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 03, 2004).]

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Hey, no fair!! Shakespeare's character description is more than 30 words!!

Figures, those long dead writers can get away with anything!

Susan

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I figured he could get away with a few extra words for each century he's been dead. Besides, a lot of those words have less than three letters
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Did I say you could post as many as you want?

quote:
“In the end,” Henry breathed, as he laid his head down for the last time, “In the end, the love will carry through. The love must carry through.”

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 02, 2004).]

Lizm
Member # 2166

- posted      Profile for Lizm   Email Lizm         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat fought to remain motionless as the pain shot through her, all sense of time forgotten. “I have to do this for her, I refuse to be weak” she murmured.

[This message has been edited by Lizm (edited September 02, 2004).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I think it only fair that if we have to compete with Will, that Robyn Hood find and present one of his character sketches that only comes to 30 words or less. In toto.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
His voice fitted will, carrying with it an air of authority. It was immediately obvious who led this disparate group.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Vasily's graceful hands danced on the piano keys as if carried away by Beethoven's own soul. Plunged in his music he could forget the face of the people he killed.

bingo, 30 words.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Gosh, I'm seeing such good stuff here! Was 30 words too much? Too easy for y'all? It wasn't for me!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
I think it only fair that if we have to compete with Will, that Robyn Hood find and present one of his character sketches that only comes to 30 words or less.

I have amended Mr. Shakespeare's unofficial contribution to the challenge so that it complies with the rules .

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I thank God for thy humility!

[with all due respect to Will]

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 03, 2004).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Yanos

quote:
His voice fitted will, carrying with it an air of authority. It was immediately obvious who led this disparate group.

Was that "His voice fitted 'his' will..." or "His voice fitted Will..." ?

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

“Bang! You’re dead.”

Just like on T.V.

He won’t get my lunch money anymore.

But I’m not bad. It was just a game. Cops and robbers.

Just like on T.V.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

quote:
Was that "His voice fitted 'his' will..." or "His voice fitted Will..." ?

I read it to be "His voice fitted well..."

Susan

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's mine:

Tanya gripped the sink’s edge, tuning out Jeff’s harsh words. A drop of blood fell from her torn thumb and pooled on broken, white china, before dripping down the drain.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...this discussion could use an injection of Madlax.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Hungry, the escaped convict found his next meal: a boy, no older than six, alone at the playground. The cannibal's black, beady eyes scanned for witnesses as he crept closer.

(I hope it's 30 actual words we're counting.)

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited September 05, 2004).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

One more day!

30 words or less!

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Fat Teddy often found himself walking into telephone polls as he salivated at passing by women. To solve that problem, he took to wearing a big pillow on his chest.

Entries with my thoughts:

(Many of these are great writing but not great character descriptions)
Mikemunsil

quote:

"My friends call me Grim.
My enemies call for help, then they die."

My thoughts: This seems fairly normal. A sign of this characters commoness can be seen in there being an almost exact repeat of this submission.

Christine

quote:

Some believe that for true love, one should be willing to die. But me, I would be willing to kill my best friend for Jill. That’s true love.

Again, nothing fantastic here. Interesting character? Yes. Fairly standard? I think so, yes.
djvdakota
quote:

A boy, fine featured and easily mistaken for a girl but for the jaunty thrust of his chin and a stride that mimicked the man he so longed to become.

Very interesting. Gets my vote for best. Paints a very clear picture and conflict.
Keeley

quote:

Venin tried hiding the bracelet that marked his treachery. Yet, even if others couldn't see it, its cold magic continually prodded him until he thought he would go mad.

Fairly interesting; a good enough segway into a story, though not something that paints a clear picture of a character.
shadowynd
quote:

Aneikaze slipped the cherry pit tenderly into the hole. Five months before, the ninja had killed two thieves here; now it was time to return a life for a life.

This is a good story opening, but not really a clear illustration of a character.
Ferrus Magnate
quote:

Ferrus Magnate held the sum total knowledge of the universe in his mind. Trouble was, his mind was in a small box outside Hoboken.

Not sure what this means.
Jeraliey
quote:

He huddled in the stone corner to cry, wishing desperately that he could remember his name. But his wishes no longer had power. They had stolen that from him, too.

Interesting. Though again, a story segway. It's a good one at that, though.
TruHero
quote:

“Stanley!”
Stanley turned and pulled his finger from his nose just long enough to slide it into his mouth. His eyes closed as he savored the saltiness, ignoring his mother.

Ick! Nice one
Monolith

quote:

Tower,a powerful meta, looked sadistically at his bounty, cracked his knuckles and said,"We can do this the easy way or the hard way. I prefer the hard way!"

Seems like this is taken out of a scene. Would be better, imo, without the exclamation mark -- it makes the whole thing seem to "happy".
Kolona
quote:

A slightly rancid odor tickled at Katrina’s nose as she unwrapped the piece of liver, her hands trembling with their customary uncoordinated dance, age spots aquiver. If only an onion.

Not sure what this means, but I understand enough to want to know more.
Shakespeare

quote:

Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;

Eh. Shakespeare. I insult him, I get lynched. But I don't really like this character description.
mikemunsil
quote:

“In the end,” Henry breathed, as he laid his head down for the last time, “In the end, the love will carry through. The love must carry through.”

Again, this seems more like a hook than a character illustration.
Lizm

quote:

Kat fought to remain motionless as the pain shot through her, all sense of time forgotten. “I have to do this for her, I refuse to be weak” she murmured.

Same as above.
Yanos

quote:

Clear picture is painted here -- willfull person. However, the mental image has only one aspect -- the person still isn't quite clear.
bablyonfreak
quote:

Vasily's graceful hands danced on the piano keys as if carried away by Beethoven's own soul. Plunged in his music he could forget the face of the people he killed.

Very good. I do suspect I've seen this type of character before, so that lessons this piece's strength, however.
Robyn_Hood
quote:

“Bang! You’re dead.”

Just like on T.V.

He won’t get my lunch money anymore.

But I’m not bad. It was just a game. Cops and robbers.

Just like on T.V.

Very interesting (how many times have I said that?). Again, though, feels like story segway.
NewsBys
quote:

Tanya gripped the sink’s edge, tuning out Jeff’s harsh words. A drop of blood fell from her torn thumb and pooled on broken, white china, before dripping down the drain.

Same comment about story segway.
HSO

quote:

Hungry, the escaped convict found his next meal: a boy, no older than six, alone at the playground. The cannibal's black, beady eyes scanned for witnesses as he crept closer.

Again. This does, however, paint a clear picture.
Phanto

quote:

Fat Teddy often found himself walking into telephone polls as he salivated at passing by women. To solve that problem, he took to wearing a big pillow on his chest.

Good enough, but not as good as the one about the boy with chin and features.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited September 05, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my children to playgrounds two days in a row this week. My resulting suffering inspired this contribution to the challenge:

"Tabitha was young, yet cut off from the youth of spring. She broke rules - would open windows to sniff newly-bloomed roses, willing to suffer thick welts of hives in consequence."

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Mike, here ya go, here is a descriptor of Tower.

At 6'9, weighing 375, Tower knew he was intimidating. Black hair, black eyes, long black hair, with black shades, and jeans. He completed his ensemble with a black duster and leather boots.

Is this more of what you were looking for Mike? Let me know.

-BHJr-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Phanto:

I think you are limiting yourself overmuch. Rather than just asking "Does this description tell me what the character looks like?", perhaps you should ask "What does this description tell me about the character?"

Many of the entries, if not all, DO tell us something about the featured character, though not necessarily their physical features. But whoever said it HAD to be their physical features?

Aren't all of these things part of a 'character description' too?

*mental/emotional state
*special abilities or talents
*character's past
*marital status
*parental status
*morals
*philosophy
*habits, good or bad
*personality
*financial status

Each of these I gleaned from at least one of the proffered descriptions, often from multiple entries.

Expand your definition of 'character description', Phanto, and you will probably find most of these entries to be quite clever and informative!

Susan

Phanto
Member # 1619

I agree that restricting this to physical features is stupid. My problem is, however, that many of the descriptions leave me with an empty vision with only one trait emphasized, whereas the "winning" entry gave me an entire character that I could see, both the mental aspects and physical.
Phanto
Member # 1619

The thing is that many of these entries leave me with images like "sick man that has betrayed someone with evil bracelet on his hand" which is VERY good for 30 words. But it's just not a complete charachter sketch in my mind.

Eh. You are mostly correct, though. I'm being too narrow-minded. Oh well.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Ah, but we were going for most *memorable*, not most complete. Of course that's a personal opinion too, as to what constitutes most memorable. To you it may indeed by the most complete!

Maybe our next mini-challenge out to be "most intriguing physical description"! *G*

Susan

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Well, I really didn't know what to expect when I issued the challenge, but so far I find myself agreeing with Phanto that many of our responses are more "hook-like" than pure character description.

However, I deliberately chose to challenge y'all to make a 'memorable' character, understanding that the term is rather vague and subjective, hoping to see more than just character descriptions. I was not disappointed. Not at all! I bow in y'alls general direction.

To me, the most memorable character is the sociopath that Robyn Hood presented, followed closely by the truly revolting Stanley! Perhaps they're related?

shadowynd
Member # 2077

And HSO's cannibal convict is stalking this self-same child!

Hrrmm... almost sounds like we've got a good story going with those three entries! *VBG*

Susan

xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm brand new, but I'd like to try. This is from a short story idea that I've been kicking around.

I did it. No one will ever suspect me. Almost all serial killers are male. Sandra smiled and randomly flipped the phonebook back open.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.