Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » WIP first thirteen

Author Topic: WIP first thirteen
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
These are the first few lines of the first chapter to my WIP, a YA novel in which a young girl discovers a sentient computer program. The latest revision is 1,885 words. I’d be grateful to anyone willing to critique it.

Strange, how such an important afternoon didn’t seem such a big deal at the time. I’ve heard of life changing books, life changing events, even movies that somehow embody the most essential aspects of life, but computer software?

In August, at the tail end of a family vacation to San Francisco, we stopped for lunch in Chinatown to celebrate the start of a new school year—not the best excuse in my estimation. Brian, my obnoxious little brother, grabbed at the fortune cookies the waiter left on our table and smashed all four.

I complained, of course. Mom scolded me for misbehaving in a restaurant, and Dad looked like he wanted to hit me. I couldn’t believe the favoritism – they should have yelled at Brian, not me. Dad apologized to the waiter for the noise we made.

The waiter told my parents not to worry--they were accustomed to serving families. He let me pick a new cookie out of a basket and said my fortune would be extra special, since I chose it myself.

It read "the world of entertainment can help resolve personal dilemmas."

[This message has been edited by Tess (edited November 21, 2004).]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read, Tess. Just send it over.

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be back in action sometime, so send it over here, too.

By the way, the most scared I've ever been? Original DOOM. No kidding.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind waiting for an answer sometime next week, send it over.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Get rid of the first paragraph. It's hokey, and it looks like you're trying too hard to introduce your story, when you should just start the story.

Also, this is a classic example of telling, rather than showing. A more descriptive scene of the toddler smashing the cookies would be great. And why isn't anyone speaking? You tell us they are talking to each other--write some dialogue. This reads like a school report. You're not writing the story; you're writing about the real story still inside you. If this is a novel, you've got plenty of time and room to tell the story--to make us live in your story.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited November 22, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
First person narrators often lose credibility when they report dialogue verbatim. The same is true for "showing" rather than "telling", by the choice of a first person POV, the author is commited to showing by telling.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Survivor, but in this case Tess rushes things just a bit and can use dialogue interspersed with the telling to moderate the pace and reveal character. I have heard many a storyteller lapse into dialogue, to present a character and to add spice to the narrative.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are great. I couldn't see this in my own work.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tess,

This isn't my arena whatsoever, but send it my way and I'll give it a shot (well, when I get back from Minneapolis, that is).

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read. And I agree about dropping the first paragraph.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corpsegrinder
Member # 2251

- posted      Profile for Corpsegrinder   Email Corpsegrinder         Edit/Delete Post 
Please send me a copy, too. Thanks!
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.