Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Pandir Decloaked

Author Topic: Pandir Decloaked
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the beginning of my second novel WIP. It's a sequel to my first, but I'm planning to make it independently readable. So, although I'm happy to have comments on this thread, and although I'll happily send the first three chapters to anyone who asks, what I'm really looking for are a few people who've read the first book in its entirety, as well as a few who haven't read any of it at all. I'd like the first group to tell me whether there are too many infodumps. I'd like the second group to tell me if they feel lost. Second group: Don't be deceived. I'm not claiming that this is a standalone novel. It's definitely the second in a series. I just want readers to be able to read and enjoy it without having read the first.

The genre is . . . well, I'm still not sure. I think the publishing category would be fantasy, but if so it's one of those that has no magic or elves or dragons. The first three chapters add up to about 6000 words. I know that's a little long for some of you, but remember that I'm not asking for a full critique. (Of course, if you want to give me one, I won't complain.) OK, here are the first thirteen:

===================================
Heldrick raised a gloved hand for silence. From his horse’s nostrils billowed clouds of moonlit steam, backlit by the snow and tattered by the wind. He pulled back his hood, exposing his face to the pinpricks of wind-borne ice crystals, and listened for a repeat of the sound he’d heard, or imagined. The wind veered west, bringing faint cries with it, then north again.

“I heard,” Grayvle said. “Shall we?”

They should have been back an hour ago. But Heldrick nodded, and they set off at a gallop, their hoofbeats muffled by snow.

At the woods they slowed to a trot. The moonlight shone through the high, leafless branches, but the trees grew thickly enough to limit visibility to thirty paces. The cries had stopped, but they must have come from nearby.
===================================

I'll send it as a Word attachment, unless you specify .rtf or .wpd.

Thanks.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in favor of fantasy w/out magic, elves or dragons, so I can take a look.

The second sentence seems a little awkward - instead of "From the horse's nostrils billowed clouds..." I'd say "Clouds billowed from the horse's nostrils..."

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Concur about both points. There's too little fantasy out there that doesn't have a whole bunch of pixies floating around using magic on dragons who are trying to eat an elf commune. But that's just me.

I also thought the line was a bit awkward. Starting any sentence with a preposition is bound to make it so, though there are exceptions.

But I'm game for a look. Send me what you've got. Word will do fine.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to watch your "they"s a little more carefully.

But I'll probably have plenty of comments like that over the course of three chapters, so I'll save some time and just read them first.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Me!!! Me!!!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mekvat
Member # 2271

- posted      Profile for Mekvat   Email Mekvat         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Beth and Netstorm2k. My WIP is similarly non-magical. I would like to read your three chapters.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear Mr. Fisher,

I would be delighted to read your latest literary efforts.

Sincerely yours,
MaryRobinette
(Mrs. R. A. Kowal)

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on its way, y'all.

I had a reason for starting that sentence like that, but I'll be doggoned if I can figure it out now.

Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fisher,

So glad to see you back here. First off, I'd like to say I liked what you wrote and where it was going.

BUT-
The beginning line of the last little bit kind of threw me a bit. You could rewrite it with it saying the same thing. For example:

"Slowing to a trot as they neared the dimly lit woods, they realized that the moonlight didn't allow them to see more than thirty paces."

Something like that but, then again, my opinion.

-Bryan-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, you guys! I take the Sabbath off and you have all the fun without me!

If it's not too late, Mr Fisher, may I take a look?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

Well . . . I guess so. But next time, you'd better learn to snap to it!
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Me to Rick!
If you're still up for it I will read.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.